leadtek 6800GT not working :(

mxs1030

n00b
Just got it in the mail today and put it in the mobo ( abit AV8 ), booted up and nothing but artifacts all over the screen :(. Tried it in my NF7-S with the same results. Could it be my power supply? I'm using a 430 antec true power.

It could be the PSU. But 430w should be more than enough. I have that same card.

But to eliminate the PSU as a factor, disconnect your optical drives and any unnecessary devices from it and then try again.

I think I might have found the culprit :(. I cracked open the heatsink to apply some AS5 and one of the ramsinks had a black burn-mark on it. I'll try again now that I have some AS5 on, but I'm not hoping for miracles :(.

mxs1030 said:
I think I might have found the culprit :(. I cracked open the heatsink to apply some AS5 and one of the ramsinks had a black burn-mark on it. I'll try again now that I have some AS5 on, but I'm not hoping for miracles :(.
I think you just killed your chance of doing a return.

If you scraped off the heat pads that were originally on that heatsink I think you can kiss your chance of RMAing the card goodbye.

A fried memory chip is still a fried memory chip, no matter what compound is on it. :(

They don't use heatpads, they use what looks like arctic ceramique for the mem sinks and arctic silver for the core. I feel kind of pissed now, THAT was their last leadtek 6800GT as well. Combined with the fact that my new 3000 s939 WON'T work with my av8, this makes for a pretty shitty week.

General rule, if it dont work on arrival DONT VOID THE WARRANTY.... Youre screwed now buddy

EDIT: yea the ramsinks use some generic thermal grease, I'd guess silicon based(I didnt leave that junk on my card long enough to find out :p) along with the stadarnd issue shin-etsu stuff on the core(also didnt stay for long)

Back