LCD issue, Red dots on black images

cyrusfox

Limp Gawd
I have an Acer Aspire 7720-6569 which has a 17" screen at 1440x900, I have had this laptop for nearly 3 years.
This problem appeared 2 days ago
This is what shows up on the screen
PICT0697.JPG

This is how it should look
PICT0698.JPG

I tried to take a close up shot as well, but the camera does very poorly at macro and the flash doesn't help either.
PICT0699.JPG

So I can alleviate the problem if I tilt the screen a little towards me, problem is viewability suffers and I need to slouch to use it. I have already troubleshooted it a little. It outputs fine to an external monitor. This laptop has Intel Integrated X3100 graphics. As it has to do with the angle of the screen, I am thinking this is a lcd hardware issue, maybe the ribbon connector that hooks into the screen has a short or isn't connected all the way, hence when I open the laptop all the way extended, it stretches the cord and either loses connection or something else that causes it to distort blacks with red. Blue also has red dots, I used this color print page to test.

Anyone dealt with this before? I am about to rip apart the machine, I have the Service PDF manual for it. Everything else works perfectly on the machine.

If I have to replace, maybe I can upgrade the resolution to WUXGA(1920x1200), but they seem to be going for $50-60 more than the resolution I got. Well I am about to take this laptop apart and see if I can't discover anything, Hopefully I don't exacerbate the problem. Please send any wisdom on this issue if you have any thanks.

I ended up posting this on anand and got an immediate response, eventually I will just buy monitor ribbon cables and see if that alleviates the problem. Just wanted to update this in case it comes up on anyones google search.

Just to confirm, it does seem like a connection issue. I get red dots when the DVI cables on my desktop monitors are loose.

Back