Last Epoch

Blizzard could learn something from these guys. you can have a team of 1000 people but just make sure they are all can write code not just sip coffee and work from home and hope for the best.

Bought it last night and played for over 2 hours so I liked it. I was hoping to play some more today, but apparently you had to login before the servers went offline to play offline before the 1.0 release so I am SOL till tomorrow. I really thought you only had to login before they took down the servers then you could play offline after that but no you have to login and stay logged in while the servers were up to go offline in the beta. I like it overall (maybe more than Grimdawn but definitely more than Wolcen) but the only caveat I have is I am not exactly thrilled with the choice of only 4 ready skills/spells to use + the right mouse button. I know it's a design choice but that really limits the flexibility of the character. I made an archer/rogue so 3 are used for offense 1 for dash that leaves only 1 that is kind of floating. There is also no switching gear so I can't swap to a melee equipment and hack away if too many things are close. Was hoping to test run the necro and wizard today, but oh well.

I played for about 40 hours about 6 months ago. The one thing that I saw that REALLY needed fixed was transitioning levels. Like you're in a level and you have to go to level 2 of the tower or sewer or whatever. There was no visual indicator you could mouse over or nothing. You just had to walk in the general direction and hope after like 15 seconds it would port you. I really hope they fix that, I can't see why they wouldn't.

I'm busy at work too but I took the day off lol. Looking forward to this

KJO8x9d.gif

I must have spoke too soon. This launch has been yet another shit show. I'm starting to wonder if these devs and publishers are software people and not cloud/infrastructure people. As of right now online play is not even available, they've taken it offline.

I must have spoke too soon. This launch has been yet another shit show. I'm starting to wonder if these devs and publishers are software people and not cloud/infrastructure people. As of right now online play is not even available, they've taken it offline.
This is an indie team launching their first ever game, no one should be surprised by this. Going from a couple thousand people online at once to 150k+ is a bit different of a beast. It's not like they're blizzard, it's excusable.

I played online last night for about 3 hours and had an absolute blast, already like the game more than D4 just based off the gear and skill trees alone.

curious about the performance, for those that have played. One thing I do remember people saying was the performance in the earlier builds was not that great. Is 4k60 posssible with a 6900xt/5800x?

curious about the performance, for those that have played. One thing I do remember people saying was the performance in the earlier builds was not that great. Is 4k60 posssible with a 6900xt/59800x?
I was running 4k 60 with about 60-70% utilization (3090). Max settings.
Haven't tested uncapped fps.

Reactions: horse
like this
curious about the performance, for those that have played. One thing I do remember people saying was the performance in the earlier builds was not that great. Is 4k60 posssible with a 6900xt/5800x?
I'm on a 7900 XTX and a 5800x. Had to turn Volumetric lighting down from Ultra to Very high to be in the 90-120 range. For whatever reason it kills your performance. It's not amazing performance but not horrible considering how much can be happening on the screen.

Reactions: horse
like this
The game is way too easy. Wasn't there supposed to be a "Masochist" difficulty? I might re-roll as hardcore when the servers stabilize.

Last edited:
Day three and the Last Epoch shit show continues. If you're lucky enough to actually get into an online game you'll deal with long waits to simply travel to a new zone. I was in a game with 3 friends and everyone was dealing with different issues constantly. This seems like very poor planning on the dev side.

Day three and the Last Epoch shit show continues. If you're lucky enough to actually get into an online game you'll deal with long waits to simply travel to a new zone. I was in a game with 3 friends and everyone was dealing with different issues constantly. This seems like very poor planning on the dev side.
I was on at 3 AM last night with server issues.
It's the weekend now, don't even bother trying.

There were already a lot of complaints about the servers even before 1.0 launched so this was definitely expected by both players and devs.

Whats the offline experience looking like?

(That's all I care about)

Finally gonna fire this up TONIGHT (y)

Offlline is the same as Online except you don't see people in hubs. I think there is global chat in offline but not totally sure.

same shit going on with Helldivers 2. it's funny that we've come so far and yet this seems to happen with so many games when they launch. i've had this game for like 2 years and played without issue, launches, doesn't work, no interest in playing anymore.

same shit going on with Helldivers 2. it's funny that we've come so far and yet this seems to happen with so many games when they launch. i've had this game for like 2 years and played without issue, launches, doesn't work, no interest in playing anymore.
Yeah it's crazy to see the overlap here. Difference is with Last Epoch, they at least had *some* idea how popular it would/wouldn't be. The game was in EA for quite some time.

I tried it today and had no issues logging in or travelling to a new zone (EU).
But the game just doesn't appeal to me.
It has a cash shop and armor sets are almost Diablo 4 price (€20). It's also locked to online only and you can't use cosmetics on offline chars.
It doesn't look great imo and I hate that the game has no character customization and classes are gender locked. Like wtf.

Night and day difference. None of the issues everyone is bitching about. Also, we're in playing now online and it looks like they've improved shit drastically. We can finally play. Lets hope it lasts.

That's all I am playing. :) I have had no issues with the game yesterday, I think I played like 5 hours straight lol. The game is a bit weird in that my Marksman/rogue from the beta is in legacy but my other characters are in Cycle, so I can't share my stash with her so I remade a new Marksman/Rogue. Interestingly My Sorcerer build seems way under powered compared to my Marksman. I tried all the characters but the Shaman/Druid one. The Necro I am not sure of, it felt a bit boring. But I am really liking the Marksman and Sorcerer. The Sentinel is also pretty good but I didn't play it too long and looking at the specializations it's tough to figure out what to base it around. Gotta say love the whole shared stash thing for Offline SP.

The game had some decent stability last night but that seems to only apply to online single player. I was on with 3 friends and traveling between zones as a group was still broken. The devs were telling us to have only 1 player in the group travel to the new zone then have the rest of the team fast travel to the player. Based on what I've seen so far this game isn't really worth jumping through so many hoops. There are better ARPGs out there.

I just tried logging in and they’ve added a queue system to the game (north east server).

The game had some decent stability last night but that seems to only apply to online single player. I was on with 3 friends and traveling between zones as a group was still broken. The devs were telling us to have only 1 player in the group travel to the new zone then have the rest of the team fast travel to the player. Based on what I've seen so far this game isn't really worth jumping through so many hoops. There are better ARPGs out there.
Me and my woman had that happen as well. We would be in business if they had LAN play like Grim Dawn.

Played a bunch of different classes for a few hours each, including getting my necro to level 30-something.
I've realized it's a boring class to play since all the skill modifiers have no effect on your playstyle, summoning a skeleton at level 1 is the same as summoning a max level skeleton. Sure they light themselves on fire, cause explosions, leech HP, etc, but as a player all you do is summon them and watch.

Yeah that's how Necros work in all ARPGs, but Last Epoch's best feature are all the customizable skill/passive trees. It feels wasted on the Necro because you don't get to experience any of it. Your skill bar is also entirely full of minions so you have no other spells to cast.

In fact the entire premise of the class is just watching your minion counters and respawning any that die, and the UI makes that a pain in the ass. I should mention it's the most OP of all the classes I tried by far, a night and day difference.
Anyhow I'm probably going to try one of the other Acolyte classes since I like the theme.

btw I played at 2 AM tonight and still getting 5-10 minute load screens, I ended up getting an infinite load screen and having to ALT F4.

Picked it up today and rolled what I thought was a druid... that plays like a barbarian with a wolf companion. It has been fun so far. I found a nutty unique 2-hander that buffs my wolf and hits like a truck with my thundercleave. Then there are 800 skills that leech life so... wombocomboing everything for now.

Still wrapping my head around skills and whatnot... but I figure if I take everything that buffs damage and life leech it can't be terrible.

I didn't realize you should start crafting pretty much right away. I didn't start until level 40, threw a bunch of resistances on my gear and stopped dying every two seconds.

Online play seems to be improving but it's clear they still have some hurdles with their netcode.

Last edited:
Picked it up today and rolled what I thought was a druid... that plays like a barbarian with a wolf companion. It has been fun so far. I found a nutty unique 2-hander that buffs my wolf and hits like a truck with my thundercleave. Then there are 800 skills that leech life so... wombocomboing everything for now.

Still wrapping my head around skills and whatnot... but I figure if I take everything that buffs damage and life leech it can't be terrible.
I like tearing up the ground with the Druid basically used that and pets. The only way to play the game us with a controller and a Valari sipping bubbly or Lacroix and a Oled. When I used a Lcd two years ago eyestrain was plenty.

Last edited:
Yeah it's crazy to see the overlap here. Difference is with Last Epoch, they at least had *some* idea how popular it would/wouldn't be. The game was in EA for quite some time.
It went from 1-2k players a day to 150k on full release day. Even when EA updates happened they would only peak around 10k. It's now pulling over 200k after the 1.0 release, or an increase by a factor of 100. I don't think they could have had any idea that it would be this popular. "Following" numbers on Steam are unreliable, and there are plenty of people like me who do not purchase early access no matter what.

I'd love to see an actual HDR implementation, but auto hdr seems to be working well on windows using my S90C. Unity has HDR that can be implemented pretty easily.

Back