Laptop with reliable hardware

ne0-reloaded

[H]ard|Gawd
My current laptop has nothing but problems with it. The hinge broke, the power adaptor died 4 times, the ac input stopped working, the front panel speaker panel broke off, and i think the hinge is about to break again (getting looser by the day). all this within the 1st year and a half. My warranty's up so I'm just going to sell it for whatever i can get and buy a new one. The most important thing to me is reliable hardware cuz i really dont want to go through this headache again. From working at my last job, I've seen how bad Dell's are so I don't want to get a dell. My current laptop is a HP and it just put a bad taste on my mouth for the entire brand.

the only mfg's that ive never heard of anyone having hardware issues were mac's and thinkpads. i dont know if lenovo stayed with ibm's quality.

so if anyone can recommend something id appreciate it.

There are only about a little more than half a dozen or so laptop manufacturer's. Almost every laptop you see is made by someone else. Powernotebooks has a good write-up on this:

http://www.powernotebooks.com/articles/index.php?action=fullnews&id=17

Basically, for build quality, don't concern yourself with the reseller since they don't manufacture the laptop to begin with; instead look for reviews on the specific model.

Then for a recommendation on build quality, I have yet to see anything match a Lenovo.

toughbooks are too big. i don't even really move my laptop around that much. it usually sits on my bed and i when i get home i listen to music, browse and check email, etc. ive probably taken it out of my house no more than a dozen times in the 18 months that i have had it.

sounds like ibm is the best option for me

I've had two T Series Thinkpads, a t40 and now a t43p. The t40 was excellent, but the t43p is total rubbish, so I've supplemented it with a Dell. I've also owned a Dell 8600 which I gave away and is still running perfectly and a Dell m1210 which is also excellent so far. Thinkpads are nice also because of the thinkpad protection plan which is one of the better accidental protection plans out there.

its not abuse. im very meticulous about the ways i take care of my things. i just need to find a notebook thats reliable. when i bought the hp, the screen hinge broke within the 1st month. ive never dropped it, spilled anything on it, and i barely take it out my room, much less my house.

at my last job i did network support as well doing the rma's on the notebooks and desktops (dell shop) and ive seen how bad dell laptops can be. the c840's were built like tanks. the only time we had to replace them is when they literally broke (which happened a lot since they were in police cruisers). the d800's had tons of problems. i had gold tech support on speed dial for them. from motherboards, to hinges, to palm rests, they just kept breaking.

from the suggestions here, seems like ibm's the way to go.

thanks

I have a IBM Thinkpad T40, its got the stainless steel hinges and such, I pick it up by the screen often and all that, its a tough little laptop. I'm getting ready to order a dell because I get a good deal on them through my company, i'm hoping it doesn't fall apart.

I just bought a Thinkpad R60. Hopefully this doesn't end up like my current laptop. I went to Best Buy to see if the charger died, and evidently, the power input on the motherboard died....again.

I'm just gonna part the laptop out and get whatever I can get out of it on ebay

toughbooks are too big. i don't even really move my laptop around that much. it usually sits on my bed and i when i get home i listen to music, browse and check email, etc. ive probably taken it out of my house no more than a dozen times in the 18 months that i have had it.

sounds like ibm is the best option for me

are you kidding? Panasonic makes the smallest and lightest 14" and 12" laptops on the market.

They have models with the heavy duty case, but not all the milspec stuff that adds a few pounds an an extra $1000 to the price. Dunno how much of an improvement the +$500 ones offer over normal business class hardware though.

the only mfg's that ive never heard of anyone having hardware issues were mac's and thinkpads.
Thinkpads (even the new Lenovo ones) will outlast any other laptop on the market. I've only just replaced my 7 year old T20 because it has a backlight issue (it's FIRST issue in 7 years). I could fix it & it would keep going for another 7 years, but it's not economically viable on such an old machine. Mac laptops are good as long as you don't by 1st rev - just search the net for disaster stories of 1st rev mac hardware, the MacBook being no exception.

i love my thinkpad z61m with the titanium case, really great reliability, great speed and other stuff... the thinkpads are great notebooks and lenovoe has no diminished the quality on the thinkpad line...

Back