laptop PII issue

devo5676

Limp Gawd
just picked up this lap top, its an older PII supposed to be running windows 98, but there was no os on it so i went to install 98 again and when i went to install it it said there is no hard drive to install it on... i havent' opened it up yet, i figured i would come here first to get some advice so i didn't screw anything up, do you guys have any thing you can suggest for me to do before i start ripping parts out and ordering new stuff?

the harddrive might not be partitioned ... boot from a floppy and run fdisk ...

i did that, it didn't recognize ANY hard discs, i thinking there might be a connection error or bad hard drive...

Good idea to check the connections and make sure nothing was disconnected or removed.

It was supposed to have 98 on it? You didn't get it at a "computer expo" did you?:p

no, it was givin to my church and im involved there and they know me as "the computer kid" and they gave it to me to fix and make sure everything was operational, i haven't cracked it open yet, but imma do that when i get home from school, haha

Post what the model is and maybe someone will tell you where and how to get to the drive. I work on laptops all day looooong so let me know..Late..

yea i can hear the hard disk, it says it doesn't have the reccommended drivers

does the BIOS detect the HDD? Removing the Hard Drive itself shouldn't be too hard to do, they're usually readily accessible. Post laptop model number etc..

i can't enter the bios for somereason, im goign to try again when i get home, im just going to order a new hard drive for it and load it up

Originally posted by devo5676
its some off brand, micron?? just kinda never heard of it..lol

lol you are the computer kid, but you have never heard of Micron? But seriously, what i wouold do is grab the model number off of it, and just search for a service manual online, most laptops, printers etc are out there is you take a look. I have done this lots of times with computers, I just used this for my sisters' GW Solo 1400, found the service manual, found the motherboard part number, and found a retailer selling it for $150 online, if it's out of waranty, it's a good way to go.

i've heard of micron pc's i've never really delt with their laptops, there are kinda krappy, lol

Back