Laptop Operates Without Battery or AC!

lukebuz

Limp Gawd
Yeah, I have a Dell Inspiron 8600; and i have TWO primary batteries.
Now, I like to be extra mobile; so I swap batteries after one is about expired.

So; I always used to Hibernate or Shut Down between battery charges.

But I wanted to try something....

So I took the battery out while it was in windows....BLAM...notebook shuts off. I expected that.

So I put it into standby; where it still has to keep the RAM refreshing; the LED's active; Sensors going (to come out of standby).... I take the battery out; and it happily stays in standby. I keep the battery out for 2 minutes, put my new one in, and wake it up. Same windows session...even the unsaved text in a notepad document.
WOW! COOL!

It probably would go longer than 2 mins; but I got bored at that point.
(no there is NOT a modular battery in either)

So, now my question? Do you think this would HURT the notebook in any way?

Well, let's put it this way. I think it would hurt it LESS than pulling the battery out whilst running.

Most likely, when it's in standby and you pull the batt out it's just running off the left over juice in the capaciters in the power supply. So, as long as you change the battery before the leftover juice gets used, then you should be fine.

Riley

So I put it into standby; where it still has to keep the RAM refreshing; the LED's active; Sensors going (to come out of standby).... I take the battery out; and it happily stays in standby. I keep the battery out for 2 minutes, put my new one in, and wake it up. Same windows session...even the unsaved text in a notepad document.

laptops have done this for years.. some don't but good ones do... not sure if mine does.. only have one battery

but my first laptop was a compaq lte 386 25 MHZ... I could do the same standby battery switch without shutting down trick with it and that laptop was built in like 1992

Yep, my TC1100 has this, its a "Holdover" battery in my case. Works fine, does what its expected to do

It's fine. It's just a feature that your notebook has. I believe it was 90 seconds, but I guess it is more than that since you had the battery out for a longer period of time.

Btw, it is suppose to do this to allow you to change batteries more conveniently.

or it could be an internal "bridge" battery. this is a battery in some laptops have that is specifically designed for a 2-5min period where you can replace the dead battery with a full battery while it is in standby. I used to have an NEC laptop with this feature....

Back