Lapping a CPU (socket 478)

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone had any experience lapping the heatspreader on a socket 478 cpu? It seems like this would be possible, but the main problems i see is the metal dust and keeping the pins safe. Is it ok to rinse off a cpu with alcohol to get all the metal dust off from lapping? How about a place to get a socket to hold the cpu safely while lapping it?

I have lapped multiple cpu's in fact. Lapping the IHS on the p4 won't do anything dramatic. It'll even out any odd creases in the spreader and allow slightly better contact. I wouldn't bank on more than 1C differences in temps though. Removing the IHS, something we here used to do, does in fact net a greater temp drop, but the newer models are probably still epoxied on and will thus ruin your cpu if you attempt to do so. I just placed the cpu in the palm of my hand with the pins in a good position and lapped away. Nothing bent, nothing broke.

As for alchohol - Yes, it's fine. I clean off my cpu's with Isopropyl alchohol 70% or something to that effect (usually whatever's around and is not too strong). I do this when cleaning thermal paste off, when dust or metal scrapings are on the cpu, and generally when it get's dusty.

Good luck.

Back