Lan-Li worth it?

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking at a new case for myself to get in a couple of months. I was looking at the chemning/chieftec cases, mainly because of their size and their price. I decided to check out Lan-Li cases just for the hell of it, even though I had never found the appeal in them before. That's changed. I fell in love with the black inverted-ATX PC-V1000B case and a windowed side panel (not too great with a Dremel). What I was wondering was if anybody with this case could recommend it, and would it be worth putting off setting my rig up with watercooling to spend the extra money on this case?

i've heard alot of people say they love it so. and i'm sure you will too. all though i have heard the cooling is not the greatest on them. although me personally, put a 120mm fan in the cd-rom bays, and problem solved.

I'm not feeling it. I don't like the design of it at all. I just don't see the fascination with them, I think the case is ugly and the interior design to me anyway is lacking. Sorry to all the LL fan boys this is however just my $0.02.

I really like the looks of it, and Ive heard fantasticous reviews of it.

Go to google and look for reviews of the case, it will help you get a better feeling for teh design and features of it.

i use to think they were horrid also....but the more i looked at them them more i fell in love...

proud owner of a PC60B

They're great. And smooth. And you won't cut yourself on the edges.

Their standoffs are horrible though. That's pretty much my only complaint.

i was going to buy that case but then i fell in love with the antex performance one, the temp display is nice, and it just looks really clean

I'd recommend it if you wanted a light case and you werent using any 10,000 rpm hard-drives, and didnt mind paying a premium. The problem with lian-li cases is that they're flimsy and a bitch to work in (the smaller ones that is). If i were you i'd go with a Coolermaster or Silverstone, higher quality. Also, unless you move your computer alot, buy a steel case, far better case material.

The V1000 series has restricted airflow, a tight compartment for the PSU, and cable managment will be difficult.

I'm not very crazy about the new BTX design and prefer the old ATX versions myself.

I would still go for a Lian-Li or Cooler Master case though.

Yeah, I don't quite understand BTX myself. I don't like the layout of it. BTX makes the cases a lot wider than ATX but it doesn't IMO leave a lot of room for modification. I don't like BTX. I just hope it doesn't become a standard. An option is fine though.

One of the main reasons I was looking at that kind of case was limitations of the spot the computer will have to go.I can't have it up on the right side of the desk anymore, because it keeps knocking my right rear speaker off. I either have to get a very big case and set it on the floor under the computer, or get one that opens to the right so I can set it on the left side of the desk where there is room. Can anybody recommend a good case that is either very big or inverted ATX? I may be able to get another desk to put as a continuation as my current one, so I could get a normal case, but I would still prefer to know which one to get if I can't get that desk.

You could get a Chenbro Gaming Bomb II, it's got a large enough top that you can actually stick your speaker on the top of it like I did mine.

This Lian-Li PC60 Plus series are very nice with dual 120mm (intake + exhaust) spots.

I think the inverted design is neat, but not necessary. </2cents>

Having owned both a Lian Li, and then upgraded to the Coolermaster Praetorian, I infinitely prefer the Coolermaster. They put a lot of thought into their case design, and it really shows when you are installing anything, from a new audio card to putting in a whole new motherboard, its a breeze.

Moose777 said:
You could get a Chenbro Gaming Bomb II, it's got a large enough top that you can actually stick your speaker on the top of it like I did mine.

That case is VErY overpriced.

Moose777 said:
Yeah, I don't quite understand BTX myself. I don't like the layout of it. BTX makes the cases a lot wider than ATX but it doesn't IMO leave a lot of room for modification. I don't like BTX. I just hope it doesn't become a standard. An option is fine though.

How So

Lets compare the ATX Lian Li's versus the BTX Lian-Li's

Lian Li PC-V1000
*Dimention:210x490x525mm(W,H,D)
vs
Lian Li PC-7 [predecessor to pc-v1200b]
*Dimension: 210x450x490mm(W,H,D)

Notice, Same Width, 40 mm taller, and 35mm deeper

This is also "mm" not inches, or even centimeters.. 40 mm translates to what.. 2 inches?
I wouldn't call that "a lot" -- hell, it's not even 10%

So, maybe it's only with the FullTowers?
Lian Li PC71
*Dimension: 210x595x588mm(W,H,D)
vs
Lian Li PC-V2000
Dimention:210x617x625mm(W,H,D)

Same WIdth, 30 MM taller, 37mm deeper

Laforge said:
How So

Lets compare the ATX Lian Li's versus the BTX Lian-Li's

Lian Li PC-V1000
*Dimention:210x490x525mm(W,H,D)
vs
Lian Li PC-7 [predecessor to pc-v1200b]
*Dimension: 210x450x490mm(W,H,D)

Notice, Same Width, 40 mm taller, and 35mm deeper

This is also "mm" not inches, or even centimeters.. 40 mm translates to what.. 2 inches?
I wouldn't call that "a lot" -- hell, it's not even 10%

So, maybe it's only with the FullTowers?
Lian Li PC71
*Dimension: 210x595x588mm(W,H,D)
vs
Lian Li PC-V2000
Dimention:210x617x625mm(W,H,D)

Same WIdth, 30 MM taller, 37mm deeper
Meh...teh one I saw I just didn't like. Plus th4e reviews I've seen on BTX weren't that great. I could be mistaken though.

GJSNeptune said:
They're great. And smooth. And you won't cut yourself on the edges.

...Do you have a V-1000?

I got one like 3 months ago, and it is fantastic. The only problem I have with the V-1000 is the opposite of what ^ this guy said. The edges on the sides of the case are jagged. It's quite peculiar. It really kills my opinion of the case.

I find the cooling to be great. It's arranged in an odd way, but it allows fantastic cooling that's a form factor of its own.

9/10 (1 point off due to jagged sides and powersource troubles)

Hate_Bot said:
That case is VErY overpriced.
IMHO, it was worth it though. There is a ton of room in it, plus you can remove the bottom HD rack if you don't use it. It's an easy case to work on. And it's big. Sure the front is kind of dumb, but I always say function over form anyway. Plus, you can always change how it looks.

I'm really happy with it overall. I think it was worth the $250 (shipping included) I spent on it. The InWin case I got was $100 cheaper but I didn't like how it was laid out, so I gave it to my friend (which he still owes me some money for.).

Every time I open my V2100 I feel a distinct sense of pleasure. Beautiful boxes. My two cents.

I don't own a V1000, but in general I still wanted to stick in my "thumbs up" for Lian-Li....I've owned a couple LiLi's now, and my current PC60 is undergoing the final stages of its mods.....truely a beautiful midtower to work on/with. :cool:

I was never a fan of theirs simply because I would never pay $200 for a case especially since all the ones I have end up being gutted and cut apart, just not worth it. But I recently received one on a trade I figured hell why not. And looking it over it definitly has some good design features, I always knew they were made well and built well thats not the issue. If I were younger, inexperienced with a dremel or other tools and wanted a nice aluminum case with simple no nonsense styling and had $200 to blow, I'd buy one. But like I said for me personally $200 is alot to spend on a case that will be modified.

Zero_Distortion said:
I was never a fan of theirs simply because I would never pay $200 for a case especially since all the ones I have end up being gutted and cut apart, just not worth it. But I recently received one on a trade I figured hell why not. And looking it over it definitly has some good design features, I always knew they were made well and built well thats not the issue. If I were younger, inexperienced with a dremel or other tools and wanted a nice aluminum case with simple no nonsense styling and had $200 to blow, I'd buy one. But like I said for me personally $200 is alot to spend on a case that will be modified.

I see where you're coming from there, but there's a different style and look that these cases maintain even after they're modded. A modded Lian-Li still holds true to what it is, and even if it'll "just" end up getting cut up...I still believe it's worth it, especially after modding one myself.

cornelious0_0 said:
I see where you're coming from there, but there's a different style and look that these cases maintain even after they're modded. A modded Lian-Li still holds true to what it is, and even if it'll "just" end up getting cut up...I still believe it's worth it, especially after modding one myself.
Make that 2. I have cut my case up as well and I'm still not done, I haven't decided on what I'm doing with the front of it.

Moose777 said:
Make that 2. I have cut my case up as well and I'm still not done, I haven't decided on what I'm doing with the front of it.

Here's mine SO far....still a LOT of work to do....but even though the case is nowhere near done, I knew ppl'd shoot me if I didnt hand out any pics. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
Here's mine SO far....still a LOT of work to do....but even though the case is nowhere near done, I knew ppl'd shoot me if I didnt hand out any pics. ;)

Lookin good Corn, my first time seeing it after the paint. You're not going to leave out the h20 now are you?

Stellar said:
Lookin good Corn, my first time seeing it after the paint. You're not going to leave out the h20 now are you?

Naw, i still wanna get it up and running when I get the Ultra-D and 3200+ running, don't worry about that. ;)

Moose777 said:

better make that a lot more than 2, lots of people cut these up even tho they cost a grip of money.

i have a pc76 that cost a ton but i hacked it to add wc stuff. it is a beautiful case and i don't think i'll be upgrading again for several years, or until things change enough that i HAVE to.

this after i spent the last 5 years building and modifying about 20 other cases, particularly the chieftec clones (alum & steel, mid & full). this is easily the nicest looking and highest quality case i've used. very easy to work with too, i got enough room i could move into it if i needed to.

I've never been so happy with any case as I have with the Lian-Li.. other than my paranoia of damage I'm content... it is very smooth and precise. I do feel the drive bay covers are pretty weak though...

I will be even happier with mine once I watercool... LianLi's are great bases for modding IMO too.

~Kris

StratocasterMaster said:
LianLi's are great bases for modding IMO too.

~Kris

That they are, their sleek/sexy exterior already looks great on its own...and the fact that it's a "plan and simple" case leaves it as basically a clean canvas for any modding one might want to do.

cornelious0_0 said:
Looks good. I didn't cut mine up nearly as much as yours.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=871128&page=2
You can see mine in that thread. I didn't do much but I'm happy with it.

*Edit*
I dind't think there wasn't anyone who cut their cases up but I didn't know so many people had the GB 2 cause no one likes it due to cost.

Being that price , I think Lian-Li case is not worth buying.
I heard their case and layount doesn't cool well and it makes
noise loud for more coling. And chassis's all made from almimium
is flimsy for building firmly. If you don't have plan to move around
with the case chassis's alminum body is meaningless.

And personally their case looks too plain and ordinary. So it
doesn't look stylish to me. There may be needed a simple & small
decorative designing on it. At this point the chembro Gaming Bomb II
has nice theme in front and that theme fits nicely unlike past their cases.

My recommendation will be a few cases of coolermaster and silverstone.

--
Sorry for my bad English

Well I agree lian li cases are overpriced, but eventually the price will drop when a new model comes out. :) I have 2 Lian Li myself. Its worth it though. :rolleyes:

I'm still not impressed by them. I look at them ever so often but I can't seem to find anything I like.

my pc65b case has terrible airflow due to it being cramped, my 6800gt is long and that only leave an inch or to for the intake air to pass up to the cpu, the rest goes straight to the front of the videocard

They have a "plus" version out now for the v1000 series. Looks like there is more room in the areas that people complained about.

Back