'Lag' problem will not go away...

RIRed48

Limp Gawd
*Have fast computer
*Cox cable internet connection w/fastest available Down/Up speeds:
'SpeedTest' shows 26mb down/7mb up to Chicago server from RI

In the past when we get lag, I power boot the router & modem, and that usually gets rid of the lag problem, which would happen once every 2-3 weeks. This did not solve it. Right after we tried to play online, I checked Task manager which showed a big spike up in cpu usage...

When I did 'run/cmd/ipconfig/displaydns', there was something there having to do with our Mcafee anti-virus updater('updatekeepalive'), even though I have 'automatic updates' shut off. I ran ad-aware and malware, and only found 3 minor cookie-tracking objects. I defragged the hard drive...which found one file which would not defragment, called 'syz_dat\fldrvw61.ocz' . Problem?

Before the lag problem started, I remember yesterday morning going to a site called the 'Global Gaming Network' which stated they had gaming tournaments for teams. That sounded interesting so I signed up as a registered member. I noticed that the first few times I went to their site, it seemed to lock-up/not responding, and once I was in, an error-window appeared, stating "an active script is running in the background".... could be the culprit?

McAfee anti-virus and Malware shows no viruses. This bad lag would show up even when my McAfee was shut off prior to playing COD-WaW. There are typically about 40-42 running processes in Task Manager...

Need help here folks... THX

You've had lag in the past and a modem/router reset has helped? But now it's not?

Sounds to me like the router/modem might be on the way out, they should never need resetting.

What's the lag like? I have cox and I've had issues with lag a few times with them. When I play CS or TF2 everything would just freeze and then work again.

As soon as we got onto our COD/clan server we play on and started playing...terrible....unplayable.

Our 'ping' to this server is usually between 45 and 55. (RI > Chicago)

Can you at least confirm its lag? Run netgraph (if possible) in game to confirm spikes and monitor FPS to make sure its not possibly your system. Lastly run traceroutes to servers to see if something is holding it up.

Probably not directly the problem, but is there a reason why you are using McAfee AV? Its actually pretty bad if you research it at AV-Comparatives.org. Free alternatives like Avira AntiVir are much better and MUCH lighter on your system.

Just a suggestion.

..is the modem on the carpet? I've had experiences in the past where a modem resting on carpet would cause all kinds of strange latency issues. If it is, lift it off the carpet with a large book or put it on your desk.

infect0...

Traceroute to COD-Waw server in Chicago from RI... results:

"This trace was started on Aug 9, 2009 2:14:48 PM. The host '205.234.153.10' (known as unknown.ord.colocrossing.com) has been found, and is reachable in 14 hops. The TTL value of packets received from it is 117.
In general this route offers a good throughput, with hops responding on average within 21ms. The DNS lookup was completed almost instantaneously (less than 2ms - this may be the result of caching)."

Good?

What's the lag like? I have cox and I've had issues with lag a few times with them. When I play CS or TF2 everything would just freeze and then work again.

That could be the dreaded "valve server search session spam" that SPAMS your router with sessions...

OP:
Bandwith has nothing to do with lantency, like comparing apples to alligators.
And a traceroute only whoes you the route, the hops on the way are set up to answer ping/traceroute only if they have nothing to do, so only the lantency from your last hop is worth looking at.

Open up console in COD and type in. /cg_drawlagometer 1

I think that is the right command, could be a little off as it has been a little while since I have done that. You should see very thin blue and green lines, if you see yellow and red spikes, then you do have network issues.

inotocracy...

Modem was on carpet/floor....I moved it to top of comp case....lag is gone.... I don't get it...

inotocracy...

Modem was on carpet/floor....I moved it to top of comp case....lag is gone.... I don't get it...

Noise (in the internets) has many possible sources...static lectricity is one of the...do you put your motherboard on the carpet?

inotocracy...

Yep, figured it was that. Not sure what the exact cause is but my guess is the static electricity and heat from the carpet interferes with the hardware in the modem.

Modems on the carpet often have their heat vents covered too much (those that vent partially downwards) and TheCadaver is right, heat build up is an issue, electrical components change resistance as they change temperature and this effects their accuracy and eventually causes errors.

The lag came back. Got Cox to swap out the existing cable modem for a new one, and I updated the firmware in my D-Link DIR-655 router (4 upgrades behind...ouch).

I think I then port-forwarded something in the settings for that clan COD-WaW server we play on all the time. ( it gives the game packets of data priority??). I have no idea what half those settings mean in the router software!! Tonite I will attempt to play on our clan server...hope what I did works. I think I'm due for a format/ re-install of everything...I HATE THAT....

Oh, also, I DL'd, installed, and ran 'Hijack This'...shows everything running...created a log, copied and sent it to a buddy who is analizing it.....

Man...I saw the title on this thread and thought, "I wonder if this guy has Cox."

Cox here in Vegas is laggy as hell! (compared to Comcast in Bay Area, which was excellent for me)

The latest...

Got rid of MacAfee as anti-virus (resource hog) and replaced w/ free Avira (smaller footprint).

I ran 'Hijack This'...these are running processes:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:52:18 AM, on 8/12/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IoctlSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ameratrade.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.cnn.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.mcafee.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.tdameratrade.com
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Plugin Control) - http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/QuickTime/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2008.10.10_v5.5.8/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O16 - DPF: {149E45D8-163E-4189-86FC-45022AB2B6C9} (SpinTop DRM Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/Peggle/Images/stg_drm.ocx
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_2.3.9.113.cab
O16 - DPF: {4871A87A-BFDD-4106-8153-FFDE2BAC2967} (DLM Control) - http://dlm.tools.akamai.com/dlmanager/versions/activex/dlm-activex-2.2.5.1.cab
O16 - DPF: {512FC5A1-7DE1-43F1-BC0C-371622FCB409} (TotalScan Installer Class) - http://www.nanoscan.com/as/v1/cabs/ascstubie.cab
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {680285A8-96D3-43DA-9D3D-51DD987D0B77} (NeroVersionCheckerControl Control) - http://www.nero.com/doc/NeroVersionCheckerControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-6u1-windows-i586-jc.cab
O16 - DPF: {CC450D71-CC90-424C-8638-1F2DBAC87A54} (ArmHelper Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/Peggle/Images/armhelper.ocx
O16 - DPF: {CE7D2BF2-D173-4CE2-9DAF-15EA153B5B43} - http://evideo.ufc.com/ufc/cabfiles/Entriq_3_6_0_15_Silent.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: bwfile-8876480 - {9462A756-7B47-47BC-8C80-C34B9B80B32B} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\GAPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9d48d416bff26) (gupdate1c9d48d416bff26) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: KService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PLFlash DeviceIoControl Service - Prolific Technology Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IoctlSvc.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
End of file - 6902 bytes

What do you folks think?

First of all, nothing you said even confirms this is a network related issue. When you run your speedtests, what is your MS response time? How about running tracerts to check the hops? You need some kind of data to confirm what kind of problem you are having.

Really it sounds like you have a runaway process on your machine, eating up resources and slowing down everything.. including your games. I think you're mistaking it for 'lag' when in fact you have a blazing connection.

Also, you should NEVER have to reset your router/modem. If you do, something is seriously wrong with them.

You want to know the easiest and fastest way to find out if its network related? Have a buddy bring his computer/laptop over and game. Having another variable to test besides your machine is the next best route to take. Stop wasting time taking shots in the dark and simply test with another machine. If your 'lag' is occuring on every machine on your network, contact your ISP. If not, then start troubleshooting your pc.

I don't think I ever said it was a network problem. I'm grasping at straws here, as MalwareBytes found nothing on the hard drive, and when I ran 'traceroute' several days ago, this was the result:

"This trace was started on Aug 9, 2009 2:14:48 PM. The host '205.234.153.10' (known as unknown.ord.colocrossing.com) has been found, and is reachable in 14 hops. The TTL value of packets received from it is 117. In general this route offers a good throughput, with hops responding on average within 21ms. The DNS lookup was completed almost instantaneously (less than 2ms - this may be the result of caching)."

I agree with your comment about a 'runaway process'... but my question is, why would it only affect our game play on that server, because we're having no slowdowns in web-surfing, email, or downloads....

I'm afraid that I might have to do the old 'format/re-install' ... "The horror, the horror..."

It would/could affect only gaming because latency issues do not directly reflect elsewhere. A direct download, or web browsing isn't reliant on constant traffic between 2 points (at high speeds) in order function (in a sense). Those would be more or less you pulling data and pushing small input signals back. Gaming and latency is reflected where two clients rely on very fast MS response times to eachother in order to perform best. This is because of constant throughput between both clients. Push/Pull, Push/Pull as fast as possible.

Like I said, I recommend you connect another pc or 2 into your network and see if they have the exact same issues. Why go through anymore trouble reformatting and anything else for that matter when you can easily determine where the bottleneck is. If after you test this, the other machines are working just fine... you know its something on the one machine.

Best of luck

Man...I saw the title on this thread and thought, "I wonder if this guy has Cox."

Cox here in Vegas is laggy as hell! (compared to Comcast in Bay Area, which was excellent for me)

I am in Las Vegas too and for about two weeks now it has been laggy as hell. I have dropped connections many times now. I have had to reboot my modem and router several times. I was thinking it was my equipment but you are the second person in Vegas that has mentioned to me they are having lag issues

I am in Las Vegas too and for about two weeks now it has been laggy as hell. I have dropped connections many times now. I have had to reboot my modem and router several times. I was thinking it was my equipment but you are the second person in Vegas that has mentioned to me they are having lag issues

Yeps. forget about it. you just have to wait it out.

Trying to restart modem, router, clear cache, inconfig /renew, spyware/malware removal,etc. are all useless. It's Cox. Some say, moving to Docsis 3.0 will help, but if Cox can't manage their systems properly...I doubt it.

And to think...with all the people abandoning Vegas, you would imagine that there would be less traffic/congestion.

you experience this problem as well? load a page = black, refresh = blank again, rinse, repeat...5 times later....it loads. :D

Your first mistake is to use McAfee. You need to spend some money and get a quality antivirus program like Kaspersky, because you probably have multiple trojan providing a backdoor to anyone with a couple of minutes on their hand. Couldn't defrag a file and your anti-spyware doesn't detect it, doesn't that seem more than a little odd to you? Cox may not be the greatest provider, but almost any high speed connection can provide lag free gaming to a semi-local server nowadays unless your PC is providing issues.

Like I said, get a good antivirus and maybe download Malwarebytes' anti-malware program to help with possible spyware.

I un-installed MacAfee and installed Avira. I have Norton but not using it(un-installed).

MalWare Bytes I have used....found 3 minor tracking cookies. Think I am overdue for a format/re-install.... darn...

I did the dreaded 'format/re-install'. I also opened a port for the game in the router. All is well now.

Thx.

have you tried different video drivers and look to see the vidcard fan is working properly or not clogged with dust? make sure your system is ventilated properly.

have you tried different video drivers and look to see the vidcard fan is working properly or not clogged with dust? make sure your system is ventilated properly.

Read the post above you...

Back