Krk rokit rp6 vs swans m10. Good upgrade?

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a set of Swans m10 and am looking to upgrade to KRK rp6's. Is this even a worthwhile upgrade? My swans sound fine, just itching for a new sound upgrade, but within reason ($400 or so). I feel like the rp5's wont be too much of an upgrade, and rp8's are too big for me, so rp6 would be a good choice for me. I also don't really have room for a receiver, so bookshelves are out of the question.

I use a USB uDac which has rca line outs and mainly listen to 320 mp3s of all kinds of music. I don't do any recording. I also game, but id say its more like 80% music, 20% gaming.

Also, if I were to get the KRK's, since my uDac only has unbalanced RCA lineouts, should I just be connecting them to the KRK's with RCA cables? Or should I get some XLR->RCA cables from monoprice. I'm thinking that wouldn't even be worth it, but I could be wrong. I hope this wouldn't degrade the sq of the KRK's.

Thanks

Just use the RCA inputs. The purpose of using XLR would be to provide a balanced connection, but that's only feasible if both ends of the chain are equipped for balanced connections (in other words, you'd need a device with a balanced XLR output in order to achieve a balanced connection with the RP6). An RCA-to-XLR connector will still yield an unbalanced connection.

Whether you're looking at an upgrade, a downgrade or a sidegrade with this, I can't say.

Thanks, i figured that using rca cables wouldnt matter with this setup. I just hope using rca cables wont result in degraded sound quality.

Anyhow, im still undecided on the upgrade/sidegrade/etc. I welcome any input on this

Not sure you would notice much of a difference if you bought the rp6. See if you can get them from some place that will take them back without charging a restocking fee and audition them. I would not spend the money on that "upgrade" personally.
You do not need to devote space to a receiver to run bookshelf speakers, all you need is something like a t-amp to drive them and that takes a lot less space.

My rp6g2's were quite noisy using the RCA connections. I had better results using an RCA to TS cable (unbalanced 1/4").

Back