KOTOR2 on PC.

ARN said:
i havent played very much, but there are a lot of bugs. the gameplay is just as good as the first, but the bugs are much worse. on the mining planet, the first place you go, there is a spot where it is very easy to clip into the wall.

Yep, clipping happens, but not very often at all. At least i haven't experienced it that often, but maybe it could be after awhile, i get so engrossed int he game i forget all about the small bugs.

also in conversations you can do actions multiple times, it only does it once, but it just makes the game feel amateurish (sp?).

This is normal. Because there are some NPCs, that you need to try several times before you can pursuade.

for example you can search the droids for spare parts over and over, but the option doesnt go away.

Again, this is normal. Because there are uses for these empty things... ie, in the first KOTOR, if you stick a grenade in it, it would blow up... a strategy you had to use to defeat an otherwise undefeatable monster.

also, i had artifacts on 9500 pro with cat 4.12, so i upgraded to the 5.2 and i havent seen anymore yet. i hope they release a patch pretty soon to do what they should have done before releasing the game: polish it.

Running it on a 9800Pro and X800 without any problems... aside from the occasional clipping problem.

All in all, this is a GREAT game. I infact like it much more than the first, and i loved the first. The story is so much better, and the character development and things like component creations make this so much more fun. Only thing that i'm somewhat disappointed in is the puzzles... not too many of them. But then again i'm only about halfway through the game.

+ Better characters overall; you don't get the annoyance factor alot of KOTOR characters had.
+ Better atmosphere, more sinister and mysterious, less cartoony. The Sith threat seems scary, not just a diet verison of Darth Vader with a speech impediment.
+ WAY, WAY better good and evil. Sometimes choosing good is a BIG pain in the ass. Sometimes going evil feels GOOD. You aren't just stealing candy from babies or acting like an adolescent jerk to get DS points.
+ I like starting as a Jedi.

- Less interaction between characters, in fact almost NONE. I miss the banter.
- WAY too long to get a lightsaber.
- Way too much loot.
- Very repetitive dialogue for doing tasks (e.g. unlocking doors, you hear the same 4 words over and over and over and over...)

I haven't seen any game-ending bugs, but it seems to run slow in a few places for no apparent reason... I can fight huge battles no problem, but on the Telos station with just a couple people walking around a hallway my FPS crapped out. This on an A64 3500+/6800 GT!

Don't see what's the big deal about the lightsaber... i got it quite quickly (went to Onderon first when i had the choice of planets), and not only built one myself there, but got one from Visha or whatever her name is as well. Infact, i was hoping to have earn my old one back, and that it would really kick ass, but when you build your first one, it's just your typical lightsaber.... i wouldn't have mind if it took a little while longer to get the lightsaber, if it had involved a good story about getting the old one back somehow.

The lightsaber crystal with your name is cool, but obtaining something like that was a bit anticlimatic.

Stereophile said:
If I still haven't played KOTOR is it worth it at this point, or should I go right into the sequel ?
I'm somewhat motivated to play as there is really no other single player rpg out.
I played through the opening sequence with the droid at a friend's. It seems better than what I remember part 1as being. Let me know soon so I can start playing one. :)

Definently play KOTOR first. It's pretty cheap these days. Your looking at about 27hours to complete the first one. I'm at 20 hours in KOTORII and it feels like I just got started.

Ok, now that I've finishished this game I have to say it isn't as good as the original.
While the biggest improvement is in the story line- seems less contrived than the one in the original, the details aren't nearly as well fleshed out. In the original there was a substantial sequence of conversations you could have with each character, and at least most of them had side quests.
So far I've found the game to be pretty stable. It's crashed to desktop twice, other than that the only glitch I've seen was one time the blur caused when moving while using the speed force power got stuck on. Activating that power again cleared it up. Much better than the routine slowdowns that plagued the original, though perhaps my switch from a 5900 to a 6800GT or newer drivers has something to do with that as well.
Compared to the previous game, you can get a *lot* more powerful in this one. I haven't tried a "Difficulty Class" character yet, but I did get my wisdom score on my Light Side Consular/Jedi Master up to 40. Once I got to that point only the last enemy could resist my force powers. I'd wipe out whole roomfulls of Dark Jedi and Sith with one shot of stasis field and then 2-3 (usually 2) blasts of force storm. By the end of the game I also had about 700 force points, so using lots of dark side powers was no problem.
One hint I should mention is when you get your first lightsaber, get a single bladed one even if you want a dual-bladed model. I found lots of double blades, three singles, and two short lightsabers. Next time through I hope I can find a short one sooner.
Next time through I'll play a dark side character. Now I just have to decide between a Consular, Sentinel, and a Guardian.

Well I finally went out and got KOTOR 2. I only played the tutorial, which was cool as tutorials go, and started playing a bit of the first level.

I have read, in this thread, that the game brought powerful rigs to its knees. I cant say I have had any problems yet, knock on wood, as Im running it at 1280x1024 full AF and 2x AA. Im getting very acceptable frame rates and the graphics look very good.

No problems with the game itself yet. I like it better than the original KOTOR thus far. I'm only 5 hours into it though.

Graphically it is much of the same, maybe a little better. But its the openendedness of the storyline I play for. I'll do lightside first then darkside.

waffles! ***pathetically small spoiler**

I bought the tail-headed slave girl in the Telos cantina for some Dark Jedi pimpin!
"Whea be mah credits, beeyatch! Don't make me force choke you!"

major dissapointment with *spoiler* ending - it sux major a$$. Whoever came up "let me into the future" routine should be tortured to death... slowly! :D

Also, if you dig in ur sound dir and dialogue files, you'll see a lot of stuff that was made but got cut from the game, including a better ending

I had the same problem on Telos, where it would get jerky as hell in the main lobby area.
Also the game crashed one time on me.
Everything considered though, I haven't experenced any major bugs.

I LOVE this game! I finally got my lightsabre. But when I fought that blind chick, I broke her lightsabre, so now I still only have one. :mad:

Oh well, more shall be found off the bodies of the innocent. Muwahahahah. :D

TehQuick said:
major dissapointment with *spoiler* ending - it sux major a$$. Whoever came up "let me into the future" routine should be tortured to death... slowly! :D

Also, if you dig in ur sound dir and dialogue files, you'll see a lot of stuff that was made but got cut from the game, including a better ending

No kidding....I wonder if someone can patch it back in. Was it too rough for kiddies or something?

Hrm, Im also running a 64 athalon with 6800gt and 1 GB or ram, AWFUL framerates. I wonder if its just a bad hardware combo for the game, maybe a patch will help. Just got to the first swoop race and did 42 seconds, I still didnt "qualify". I got pissed and started to play the punisher again.

I may just wait for the first patch. I'm sure there are bugs that are not as detectable as the swoop one, that will be fixed with the patch.

So far so good though, I loved the first one, and the second seems just as cool.

superjohnny said:
Obsidian did a decent job, but Black Isle did better. Why they turned down doing the second is a mystery not worth figuring out to me.

Obsidian Entertainment is what is left of Black Isle. Obsidian is the group (formerly in Blacvk Isle) that was responsible for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights.

Harrath said:
Obsidian Entertainment is what is left of Black Isle. Obsidian is the group (formerly in Blacvk Isle) that was responsible for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights.

Actually, they didn't make Neverwinter Nights it was made entirely by Bioware. For that matter I'm pretty sure they just published Baldur's Gate.

superjohnny said:
* I've been playing the game for 20 hours and I'm a jedi... where's my friggin' lightsaber?.

You played 20 hour before getting your lightsaber? LOL :eek:

/me got it in 10 hours.

It took me 20 hours also. I got the final part from purchasing it from the scalvengers in the Enclave. If I have been to that planet eariler, I may have gotten sooner too.

PerfectCr said:
You played 20 hour before getting your lightsaber? LOL :eek:

/me got it in 10 hours.

VictorChan said:
It took me 20 hours also. I got the final part from purchasing it from the scalvengers in the Enclave. If I have been to that planet eariler, I may have gotten sooner too.

It doesn't matter what planet you go to first, you get the lightsaber on your first planet, whatever that one is.

Telos???? Kera said I shouldn't rush to getting one. :D I think she was right. :D I was missing one part and couldn't get it until I went to the Enclave. Then, I have the engineering guy to build me one. Double bladed.

PerfectCr said:
It doesn't matter what planet you go to first, you get the lightsaber on your first planet, whatever that one is.

VictorChan said:
Telos???? Kera said I shouldn't rush to getting one. :D I think she was right. :D I was missing one part and couldn't get it until I went to the Enclave. Then, I have the engineering guy to build me one. Double bladed.

You have no choice in going to Telos. I mean your FIRST planet you can actually travel to.

I found the parts for my lightsaber on Korriban, the first planet I went to. I also got Visas and her saber at the same time. Couldn't have been much more than 10 hours into it.

I didn't see hers until I have built mine already. Well.... :D I always wonder where was hers after she was defeated. Is funny when i was about to confront her, I was at the lowest health. i ran. i think the remote droid defeated her instead.

m1dg3t said:
I found the parts for my lightsaber on Korriban, the first planet I went to. I also got Visas and her saber at the same time. Couldn't have been much more than 10 hours into it.

Well i just finished the game, and i thorough enjoyed it.

Character customization was better. Story line was good, and i was liking it more than the first one until the end. But you people are right, character interaction just isn't there like the first one.... and the puzzles.. WHERE ARE THE PUZZLES? Only puzzle i think was when your droid has to open that door, and that took me all of 120 seconds to figure out.

Overall though, i liked it. I kept thinking *i* was Revan, who has once again had amnesia or something... but apparently that wasn't the case. Kind of disappointing, though the story was good, even though the ending could definitely have been better.

I only crashed like 3 times throughout the entire game, so that wasn't a big deal. Running at 1600x1200 on a 3200XP+ with a 9800Pro and 1gb ram without much trouble... although Dantoonie did have that wierd performance bug, but that was an easy fix.

moralpanic said:
although Dantoonie did have that wierd performance bug, but that was an easy fix.

What did you do, turn off the grass?

No, i just went into the graphics advanced option and changed anything there, and then saved the changes so that it refreshes. That would clear it up. I would need to do that each time i rezoned back in, but it was only a 10 sec annoyance.

superjohnny said:
Yea, most parts were too easy. One part that I found really hard was ::spoiler:: fighting the 5 of Atrius' handmaidens. I could pretty easily handle 2, but 5 was too much. Any tips? ::/spoiler::

The first time, i beat the 5 handmaidens quite easily (took a few tries). What really helps is if you have the power that reduces physical damage (as oppose to the energy one... or was it the other way around? you need the energy one, since they used energy weapon... bah i don't remember the details, but you know what i mean). As soon as the fight starts, load up on all your hyper alacrity, strength, stamina, load up the that damage reducing buff i mentioned earlier, then speed, and whack away one at a time. Once you have 2 down, it's very easy after that.

The second time i tried though, i was a consular, and i couldn't even beat ONE handmaiden... i knew i was much weaker than my first guardian, because the normal fights weren't as easy.. but once i fought the handmaiden, i realized how weak my consular really was in combat compared to my guardian. My guardian could take down 2 handmaidens with barely a scratch, this one couldn't even take down a single handmaiden.

My sentinel did all 5 easily with the melee shield and buffs, and master flurry. It's only worth 750xp anyway.

Enjoying the game so far - no crashes or problems and I like the new melee animations along with the way the game makes you play other party members and use their skills versus just playing the jedi.

Well, not completely. I was hoping to get Baodur to fix that droid in the landing bay at Dantooine. My repair isn't high enough.

Did anyone else find KOTOR II to be a little easy? I don't know if its because I was a jedi guardian or what, but with a single lightsaber I was able to kill all those supposedly difficult to kill Sith in 2-3 hits at the most (on normal difficulty).

The only skills I really used was multi attack (whatever its called) with master speed. It felt like I was cheating. I found it really detracted from the replayability of the game.

NeoNemesis said:
Did anyone else find KOTOR II to be a little easy? I don't know if its because I was a jedi guardian or what, but with a single lightsaber I was able to kill all those supposedly difficult to kill Sith in 2-3 hits at the most (on normal difficulty).

The only skills I really used was multi attack (whatever its called) with master speed. It felt like I was cheating. I found it really detracted from the replayability of the game.

Yeah, my sentinel with two sabers, master flurry, and force buffs tore through everything like butter. I've started over as a consular and cranked the difficulty and it's more reasonable.

I think I almost finish the game. Telos under attack. The story line is a bit whacky. Similar theme like the first one. And Keria? Sometimes I don't even know what the hell she was supposed to be doing. I think I am losing the story at times.

VictorChan said:
I think I almost finish the game. Telos under attack. The story line is a bit whacky. Similar theme like the first one. And Keria? Sometimes I don't even know what the hell she was supposed to be doing. I think I am losing the story at times.

Kreia can be a piss off at times. Sometime I wish there was an option that said:

Give Kreia the Finger

when Kreia asks you
"Why do you need a lightsaber?"
I wish they had this response:
[Point to hand] I have 5 very good reasons right here.

Garok said:
when Kreia asks you
"Why do you need a lightsaber?"
I wish they had this response:
[Point to hand] I have 5 very good reasons right here.

HAHAH nice ... yeah it would nice to have some really asshat responces you could give, to more closely follow the Dark side.

MAJOR SPOILERS CONTAINED INSIDE....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

I finished the game..finally

Got my lightsaber at the first planet I went to. (The one with the Mandelorions on the moon) I enjoyed it throughout the whole game but the ending sucked balls I think. I have no idea whats going to happen to my character and I have no idea what happened to my characters. I also don't know how they fixed the Ebon Hawk so fast. It fell into the pit of doom there, all dented and banged up, then it came out good as new. :confused:

Throughout the game, you can tell that ghosts from KOTOR I were coming back at you. Revan of course, it appeared that this story line was a result of Revan going towards the dark side after his memory was wiped. HK47 (if you decided to rebuild him) and T3 came back. I didn't use HK at all though, but T3 came in handy a lot of times. You also find Carth Onasi's blaster on Nar Shadaa if you go poking around and Mandelore is Canderous Odo from the first game. Two pieces of information that I have to back that up is that, on Onderon, I found a bug where you hear his voice without the space suit filter added into it and it sounds exactly like Canderous. Kreia also says it at the end.

I didn't like Kreia throughout the whole game. She kept trying to control your actions rather than teach you and I knew she had to be from the dark side rather than from the light. Her eyes were kind of a tip off as well. She also told me who I could and couldn't mate with, that usually puts someone on my shit list right away ( ;) ) And then at the end, when she tells you the future of all of your companions and planets, that kind of bummed me out a bit because it informed me of future games to come that they might not take place on Datooine or on Korriban.

Overall, good game play, like starting out as a jedi but hate having to wait 10 (or 20, depending which planet you got to) hours to get my lightsaber. Ending sucks bad but the game is worth the money. If I had to choose between KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2, I'd have to got with KOTOR 1.

WTF!!! That was the ending????

I feel a bit let down. I know after you finish the game with both the dark and light side some new dialogue choices are available....but the ending....could have been MUCH better...I though I'd see atleast some action with Visas, the Handmaiden, or Mira (or all of them)

There sure as hell better be a KotOR III...

Just beat it in 32 hours....ending was gay but whatever....was doing 200+ on master flurries nonstop..

google rocks.
The voice actress of 'Handmaiden' was the same one who did 'Viconia' from Baldur's Gate 2.

As an aside, the guy who did 'Minsc' has done voices in Doom3 and Halo2, among many others.

Tenchi4U said:
WTF!!! That was the ending????

I feel a bit let down. I know after you finish the game with both the dark and light side some new dialogue choices are available....but the ending....could have been MUCH better...I though I'd see atleast some action with Visas, the Handmaiden, or Mira (or all of them)

There sure as hell better be a KotOR III...

The ending was a little vague. I'd agree to that. But overall I liked the game alot.

Back