KoToR graphics problem

CreganTur

Gawd
I'm having a really annoying problem with KoToR right now and I was hoping someone out there could help me fix it.

I'm on Dantooine right now, and this problem only occurs when I'm outside. My framerate drops to almost nothing and my characters stop moving. Also my PC will get stuck in a running animation so he has one leg lifted as he jerkily glides over the ground.

Sometimes I can fix this problem by talking to one of my teammates - sometimes... but most of the time the only way for me to fix this problem is to go into graphics, turn off, not anti-aliasing, but the other option, go back to the game, make sure my character moves normally, then go back into graphics and reset my settings.

This problem will NOT allow me to use anti-aliasing at all, but I can leave my details at High.

I'm running with a P4 - 2.4, ATI 9600, 512 RAM, 80 gig HD

I know there has been known problems with KoToR and Ati Cards...

Did you update to the latest version of the game, and did you update your video card drivers.

If I remembe correctly they fixed most of the KoToR problems is the 4.12 Cats

kotor is open gl that is your 1st problem ,second is your card, third is your ram. i first started playing this game with a 9500 softmodded and 512mb of ram and it slowed down also. put better card in and 1 gig of ram and it ran smooth as butter.

I just alt+tab out or mash the windows key to get back to my desktop, then when I get back into KOTOR it's fine.

KOTOR is pretty rough on video cards. I played the first one on a 9600Pro at XT speeds and I couldn't go above 1280x1024 with any AA and AF in that game. If I enabled AA and AF the performance dropped like a rock. When I installed a 6800GT I could do 1600x1200 with 2x AA and 4x AF and that's it.

Even in KOTOR 2 the same holds true to a point. I can do 4x AA at 1600x1200 but when I enable AF my performance hits the toilet. Right now I am running a 6800GT @ Ultra speeds.

At 1600x1200 with 4x AA I get zero slowdown even when there are a ton of enemies on screen. It's really very smooth. Just cant' do AF for some reason without the performance sucking.

this isn't because of his system stats... there is a weird bug on dant... I get the same stuff on my system and it does the same thing. And here's the funny part. My friend is playing through KOTOR 1 again and he's on dant and it does the same thing. I've got a 9800 Pro-m and a gig of pc3700 corsair ram... its just badly programmed or something... i dont kno how to fix it yet

I found the grass option in video settings to be rough on my 9800pro on Dantooine (and I have 1 GB of system memory). Something like "show real grass". Turn that off for that planet and it should help your framerate.

cheers

AoL_Is_My_EnEmY said:
i dont kno how to fix it yet

I already posted how to fix it... Go back to your desktop then back into the game. It's a bit of a pain but the only solution.

The exact same thing happens to me, very odd as its the only time I recall it happening in the game. That being said, there are boatloads of other problems that need their immediate attention.

Over the course of the game I have had missions blatently vanish when I reloaded, I've been teleported to areas with no escape when a cut scene failed to load (I guess). There just doesn't seem to be any end to the bugs in this game. I would expect this in a beta but not a full release, its as if there was no testing done at all!

Even without these bugs its not as good as the first game, but if they hadn't been there I would have been a little more understanding of its other flaws.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I will try them out and let you know what happens tomorrow.

I've finished Dantooine, but I'll reload a save there and see what works

CreganTur said:
I'm having a really annoying problem with KoToR right now and I was hoping someone out there could help me fix it.

I'm on Dantooine right now, and this problem only occurs when I'm outside. My framerate drops to almost nothing and my characters stop moving. Also my PC will get stuck in a running animation so he has one leg lifted as he jerkily glides over the ground.

Sometimes I can fix this problem by talking to one of my teammates - sometimes... but most of the time the only way for me to fix this problem is to go into graphics, turn off, not anti-aliasing, but the other option, go back to the game, make sure my character moves normally, then go back into graphics and reset my settings.

This problem will NOT allow me to use anti-aliasing at all, but I can leave my details at High.

I'm running with a P4 - 2.4, ATI 9600, 512 RAM, 80 gig HD

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 try adding this line to your .ini file.

KotOR 2 has so many bugs its kinda hard to play

i have a problem where nearly every time i get a loading screen (other then when i first start) it locks up at about 80% and crashes to desktop

so it was a chore simply to get as far as i am (i just got out of the arctic base)

Back