Konami Cancels Six Days in Fallujah Video Game

HardOCP News

[H] News
Konami has announced that, after heavy criticism from anti-war and pro-military camps alike, the company will no longer publish the recently announced Six Days In Fallujah. Thanks to forum member “Hulk” for the link.

Despite the active involvement of dozens of Marines in creating the game, critics said that Konami was capitalizing on a war whose wounds were still fresh. Atomic Games President Peter Tamte has not said whether his company would seek another publisher.

Is it just me or did the backlash REALLY start to swell after the developers claimed that they interview/consulted insurgents for the game as well as U.S. troops? I could be imagining things but I do remember a big brouhaha over that aspect too.

This just in:

Call of Duty 6 - 12
Battlefield 1940 - 3061
Medal of Honor: Front Line, Back Line and Clothes Line
Brothers In Arms: Back for More

Have all been greenlit. You can expect sequels for these games for the next 44 years to compensate. :rolleyes:

(BTW, I am sure they will find a new publisher)

guess we better pull all other war games off the shelves. idiots. i thought maybe falluja was maybe a lost battle (i dont follow it very much) but nope just more idiots.

Don't worry, they will change the name to "One Day in Fallujah" and it will publish with no problem. Whats one day in hell vs. Six?

Though I'm all for them changing it to "Fallujah Fun Factory", I mean seriously, that doesn't seem to sound hellish at all. Sure it will be published over night! :D

where they going to re-enact the illegally dumped white phosphorus on people ? i wanted to do that mission:(

You guys are missing the point. The devs and pubs were hawking this game as 'realistic'. SO much so that they paid some iraqi war vet (never confirmed if real) to intro the game to some press guys a while back. However, the game is far from realistic and is basically an arcade shooter, loosely wraped in squad warfare, and set in a modern setting.

Think COD4 meets R6 Vegas's soiled underwear....

Konami pulled it because the devs don't really stand a snowball's chance in hell of pulling this off. They made a big deal about if a game was going to be done about that conflict that it was going to be done "right" and "realistically" and "accurately" and etc... Problem is, judging by early reports, it basically is just an arcade shooter... using the setting to create controversy to create name recognition to drive sales of what probably otherwise would be a crappy budget game that maybe a poor sap or two would pick-up on an impulse buy.

guys the 6 days has some of the worst war crime accuisitions of the entire war... so its probably in their best interest to cancel it.

i support a iraq war game even though i dont support the war... but felujiah had a lot of stuff they are not proud off (evacuations of cities, terrorists moving out with the civilians and escaping, using illegal white phospherus in war.... against civilians, and blowing up homes with civilians in them...)

not something that was sparkling...

This just in:

Call of Duty 6 - 12
Battlefield 1940 - 3061
Medal of Honor: Front Line, Back Line and Clothes Line
Brothers In Arms: Back for More

Have all been greenlit. You can expect sequels for these games for the next 44 years to compensate. :rolleyes:

(BTW, I am sure they will find a new publisher)

BWAHAHA!

Seriously though, at least this was a different approach. I was actually looking forward to it from what little i had heard.

Konami pulled it because the devs don't really stand a snowball's chance in hell of pulling this off. They made a big deal about if a game was going to be done about that conflict that it was going to be done "right" and "realistically" and "accurately" and etc... Problem is, judging by early reports, it basically is just an arcade shooter... using the setting to create controversy to create name recognition to drive sales of what probably otherwise would be a crappy budget game that maybe a poor sap or two would pick-up on an impulse buy.

That's better. Now I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Is it just me or did the backlash REALLY start to swell after the developers claimed that they interview/consulted insurgents for the game as well as U.S. troops? I could be imagining things but I do remember a big brouhaha over that aspect too.

Lol that is just too rich. "Hey...sooo, I'm developing this game. Got a second?"

This was bound to happen. After reading about how amazingly realistic it was going to be, the heartfelt stories about the Marines that wanted them to make the game... to tell the story!... BS. In reality there was no realism and they were giving us Counter-Strike: Fallujah.

The game shouldn't be made. Its way too soon and there is no way in hell the game is going to do anything except make a mockery of the events.

This was bound to happen. After reading about how amazingly realistic it was going to be, the heartfelt stories about the Marines that wanted them to make the game... to tell the story!... BS. In reality there was no realism and they were giving us Counter-Strike: Fallujah.

From the sounds of it, CounterStrike is more realistic than this would have been, lol.

The game shouldn't be made. Its way too soon and there is no way in hell the game is going to do anything except make a mockery of the events.

And due to over sentimental jerks like yourself it won't be. Thanks you and all your ilk for killing off a game that could of been great. The Game Should be made whether it makes a mockery or not.:mad:

And due to over sentimental jerks like yourself it won't be. Thanks you and all your ilk for killing off a game that could of been great. The Game Should be made whether it makes a mockery or not.:mad:

Get back to me when you have a good friend that served over in Iraq there that comes back barely able to live a normal life because of all the shit that she had to go through. Get back to me when you've got another good friend that is going to be deployed to Afghanistan at the end of the year and you get to sit every single day and wonder if he'll make it back alive. Maybe then you can tell me I'm being over sentimental. Maybe then you will have the right to decide if a game that takes place during this war should be made or not. Maybe then you will have an understanding of why a game that will be nothing more than a mockery of the events should not be made.

Its not a question of being sentimental or not. Its free speech and video games are art. The Westover Baptist Church still protests at military funerals so if you still have an axe to grind you should put it to those folks. ;)

Its not a question of being sentimental or not. Its free speech and video games are art. The Westover Baptist Church still protests at military funerals so if you still have an axe to grind you should put it to those folks. ;)

Free speech is great and all, but there is such a thing as having a little god damn compassion and not trying to pass off your entertainment product as a real source for what happened. Games are NOT art. There are aspects of them that can be considered art, but as a whole they are not. Games have one purpose and one purpose only, to entertain. I don't see games taking the artsy approach that many of the indie films do these days. Don't go spouting Okami or SOTC to me either. Both are great games, but they're still just games. They provide entertainment, not a vehicle for artistic discussion. A game simply can NOT do what the developers were promising. If they were passing this off as just another war game that just happens to be set in Fallujah I'd have no problem with it. However, its not. The developers are trying to pass it off as a game that realistically depicts actual events. Fucking bullshit!

Get back to me when you have a good friend that served over in Iraq there that comes back barely able to live a normal life because of all the shit that she had to go through. Get back to me when you've got another good friend that is going to be deployed to Afghanistan at the end of the year and you get to sit every single day and wonder if he'll make it back alive. Maybe then you can tell me I'm being over sentimental. Maybe then you will have the right to decide if a game that takes place during this war should be made or not. Maybe then you will have an understanding of why a game that will be nothing more than a mockery of the events should not be made.

I'm fine if they make the game. Also, get back to me when you've actually served over there like I have for 6 months.

I'm fine if they make the game. Also, get back to me when you've actually served over there like I have for 6 months.

So you're fine with them trying to pass off a game as realistically depicting the events and essentially being an utter mockery of every single person who died?

So you're fine with them trying to pass off a game as realistically depicting the events and essentially being an utter mockery of every single person who died?

Yeah, I think it is sad that they are trying to make a buck claiming it is "realistic". I think it is laughable that they can put "real" in the same sentence as "video game" when talking about a war sim. Anybody that buys into that is delusional. Video game = 1% real, actually being there = 110% real.

Take out the word "realistically" and then send it on it's way.

There's not going to be any games that will realistically mimic anything the military does. We have a hell of a lot more boring, mundane tasks, than we do exciting ones.

Like walking all over Afghanistan for hours on end and not fire a single bullet. Or when off duty, cleaning/maintaining your weapon.

Even if they were to somehow get 100% accurate details of what happened in Fallujah, they'd never make a realistic game on it. It'd be boring.

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and the other thousands of games based on real world events. Essentially an utter mockery of every single person who died in those events, yet millions still play and enjoy those games.

Take out the word "realistically" and then send it on it's way.

There's not going to be any games that will realistically mimic anything the military does. We have a hell of a lot more boring, mundane tasks, than we do exciting ones.

Like walking all over Afghanistan for hours on end and not fire a single bullet. Or when off duty, cleaning/maintaining your weapon.

Even if they were to somehow get 100% accurate details of what happened in Fallujah, they'd never make a realistic game on it. It'd be boring.

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and the other thousands of games based on real world events. Essentially an utter mockery of every single person who died in those events, yet millions still play and enjoy those games.

Exactly, that is my big issue. They're trying to pass it off as being completely realistic. As I said before, I have no problem with games taking place during wars. Just as long as developers don't try to make money as passing it off as being accurate to the events and being realistic.

I use to be annoyed when the word "realistic" was put into games, after Gran Turismo first came out. Realistic driving simulator my ass.

After that, I don't care cause I know none of it will ever be realistic. Like when they claim realistic physics.

Actually I served my time in the military thanks, you are being an over sentimental jerk. Not everyone who has served was "Traumatized". Most of my friends remain military as well, many in Iraq and Afganistan. My cousin is over there right now as a matter of fact. So there you have it, this is a close subject to me and I still think people like you are disrespecting what those people myself included served for.

ooh ooh if this is canceled can we have 6 days of warcrime trials instead.

I OBJECT!

We could always have nintendo make Phoenix Wright vs. the Military Industrial Complex

Actually I served my time in the military thanks, you are being an over sentimental jerk. Not everyone who has served was "Traumatized". Most of my friends remain military as well, many in Iraq and Afganistan. My cousin is over there right now as a matter of fact. So there you have it, this is a close subject to me and I still think people like you are disrespecting what those people myself included served for.

No I have an opinion, so do you. We both happen to strongly disagree. Had I seen this response earlier I might still have been in a mood to go off on another mini-rant. As it is, I've burned myself out on this discussion on other forums and I have already managed to separate the mention of the game from my previous emotional reaction.

I have all the respect in the world for you and everyone risking and giving their lives, that's why I have strong feelings towards what the developers are pretending this game is. I feel it does a disservice to all of you that have served in these battles and to everyone that has died in them. I apologize if you think I meant any disrespect towards anyone that has fought these battles.

No I have an opinion, so do you. We both happen to strongly disagree. Had I seen this response earlier I might still have been in a mood to go off on another mini-rant. As it is, I've burned myself out on this discussion on other forums and I have already managed to separate the mention of the game from my previous emotional reaction.

I have all the respect in the world for you and everyone risking and giving their lives, that's why I have strong feelings towards what the developers are pretending this game is. I feel it does a disservice to all of you that have served in these battles and to everyone that has died in them. I apologize if you think I meant any disrespect towards anyone that has fought these battles.

I'm sure someone in the process has good intentions, but anything that makes money has those who don't give a damn. Be it a game, movie, documentary, etc based on the events.

I'm sure someone in the process has good intentions, but anything that makes money has those who don't give a damn. Be it a game, movie, documentary, etc based on the events.

Yeah. Making money is one thing. At least documentaries usually (sadly not all the time) try to get the most accurate information possible. I can't bring myself to fault Konami for dropping the title. Its funny that they caved to pressure this quickly, though. The game was just announced.

I don't mind war documentaries, but a lot of them just show the blood, guts, and glory. A good chunk of the tragedies is pushed to the side. Too much of it and the ppl might learn that war is a bad thing. Can't have that.

I'm really not surprised that Konami caved this quickly. If this were back in the 90s, I might see them sticking to it, but Konami isn't as big as it use to be. Also, the game was probably gonna be trash. If they wanted to continue pursuing it, that game had better be polished like a 1000 karat diamond.

I don't mind war documentaries, but a lot of them just show the blood, guts, and glory. A good chunk of the tragedies is pushed to the side. Too much of it and the ppl might learn that war is a bad thing. Can't have that.

I'm really not surprised that Konami caved this quickly. If this were back in the 90s, I might see them sticking to it, but Konami isn't as big as it use to be. Also, the game was probably gonna be trash. If they wanted to continue pursuing it, that game had better be polished like a 1000 karat diamond.

Konami has grown pretty timid. That's why they've lost so much of what they used to be. The only think they have left is Castlevania and Kojima Productions and they seem determined to drive Castlevania into the ground.

My father served in Vietnam. He shot missiles.

According to him, he was:
shot at
blown out of a tower
set on fire with burns covering 70% of his body
getting searing hot bullet shells raining down on him from the attack choppers above him (unrelated to being set on fire)
wearing a jacket/coat as he found out what it was like to actually be freezing his ass off at ~70 degrees Farenheit at night.

He is not offended by one single game based on the Vietnam War to date. And I've shown him some that I have. I'm sure there'll be one eventually that might make him raise a brow, but even then it'd probably be over its historical accuracy.

I look at it like this - if movies can get it wrong and nobody gives a shit, why should people be up in arms over a game?

That said, if Konami is really behind the stance of "if we're doing this, we're doing it right" then I say good on them. Yeah it sucks that they won't be releasing what can potentially be a badass game. But at the same time, it'd shut the mouths of everyone who decries it as being false or misleading, or that it doesn't do the event justice. If they really did do it based on interviews by the men and women who were actually there, then honestly it can't get anymore accurate than that.

Back