Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 (the usual?)

ZacharyS

Gawd
So recently they "quit working". And by that, I mean when I got back from a lan party, they didn't work at all. They did their usual "pop" when I turned them on, but apart from that I got nothing out of them. The headphone port did still work, but the green light indicating power did not come on. I played around wiggling the main control thing (the one that looks like s-video) and it kind of came on VERY low for a second, then nothing again. Well, it's been a few days and I decided what the hell, might as well try because I can't really just go buy another nice set of speakers. Turned 'em on, plugged 'em in, and I could hear music, but only faintly. I played with the volume knob, and turning it all the way up gave me absolutely no sound. Turning it all the way to min, however, gave me some. It is not even close to the volume it used to play at, but it is hearable in my quiet room with nothing else at all making noise. It strikes me as odd, however, that turning the volume to max mutes it and to min makes it play. I can't tell if the sub is working, but it might just be too little power to really drive the woofer. Not sure.

TL;DR
No green indicator light
Faint sound when all the way down
No sound when set to "max"
The sound seems to go in and out like, little bursts of trying to work, but not quite able to do it.

Any hope or is this a lost cause?

I dont understand schematics, but as I understand the control pod uses a standard 6 pin DIN plug that i THINK is the same as a standard ps/2 keyboard jack. You could re-wire it yourself or get a new control pod off ebay.

If it is worse than that it could be a problem with the jack in the sub unit (unlikely) or a problem with the actual amplifier.

you can buy the sub-->din/pod connector/wire harness for like $11 from klipsch directly.

i did that a long time ago when i still had mine (i had the GMX not the pro media - should be available on their site

Reading through many posts here it sounds like a few people have your issue, OP, though there's no clear answer on what the cause is. Finding an old PS/2 keyboard at a thrift store (or in your junk drawer) for $5 and hacking the cord off to splice on sounds like the easiest thing to try.

Sorry for not responding for so long, I've been sick and haven't really given a crap about anything for the past few days.

Thanks for the replies and I will definitely try this, as I didn't think much of it, but the connection is loose when I plug it in. I'm so glad it's not the amp going out like most people's problems seemed to be.

*sigh* I was one of those unfortunate souls whose amp went out on my Klipsch setup.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

I purchased a PM 2.1 amp that arrived DOA after a fashion, seller included replacement speaker cable which was damaged and caused fuses to blow. It simply required replacement fuses and proper wire, which can be acquired at your local Radio Shack.

Back