Kingston HyperX PC-4000; is it good?

I'm not a huge overclocker so will the only gain be in overclocking?

Thanks.

Also: It is for a socket 754 so dual channel isn't applicabale.

Besides I thought you don't need a "dual channel" kit to use it?

That is a very good ram, but i dont think PC4000 is gonna be very helpful for an A64, unless you're getting a pci/agp locking chipset and wanna push the FSB up to 300 or so.

EDIT: I forgot to say, that is a very good price on that ram too.,

I have tried two different sticks of 512 PC4000 HyperX from circuitcity and they are not good for overclocking on an athlon 64 plus they use Cas 3-3-3-7 timmings and are not stable at lower timings which make them no good for normal settings. Overclocked they barely go 220mhz at any timings. If you are not overclocking try some XMS3200 cause they all can do 2-2-2-5 at PC3200.

MLF said:
Overclocked they barely go 220mhz at any timings.

You do know that pc4000 memory is rated to run at a 250mhz fsb? So running it at 220 would be underclocking the ram.

Anyway, running faster than fsb memory at fsb speed would run just as good as memory rated to run at that speed. (in english that means if your not overclocking its a waste) So if you dont overclock, dont run anything faster than your fsb.

This is what I needed to know... So, if you get ram rated at a faster speed, you can OC your FSB up to whatever speed the Ram is without stressing it at all, right?

e.g. if your FSB is 200, the ideal ram should be DDR400, or PC3200+. However, if you buy DDR500, or PC4000, you should be able to bump your FSB to 250 and that's when the RAM is operating at stock speeds, right??? Which means you can OC without ram being a concern for 50mhz of FSB!??

No one answered me in my thread...

You hit the nail on the head, you can get above rated speeds, which would be overclocking the ram but dont expect much more than its rating.

what i dont get is why do processors have fsb''s at 266 but you cant actually turn the fsb up to that much...or can u but u just need the better memory?

First of all, all recent CPU's have FSB's of 200, or 400DDR, the reason why they dont make CPU's higher than that is because grannies dont OC their PC's. Nothing more to say.

Nope its usless, you want Lower latencys not high speed memory. I screwed up when i built my system going with Corsair PC4000, so i mean if u want it, buy me some corsair LL and ill trade you

Cloud15x said:
Nope its usless, you want Lower latencys not high speed memory. I screwed up when i built my system going with Corsair PC4000, so i mean if u want it, buy me some corsair LL and ill trade you
Well, if the difference between tighter and looser timings is about 4% (from what I've read from other posts), wouldn't higher bandwidth be better?

Back