Kinect only supports 2 players

I'm going to have to re-watch the E3 demo and confirm that they didn't try to show off four people playing.

In the Danceoff game, the screen in combination with the background dancers behind the uber geek really trick you into thinking its four player supported.

I'm not sure you could fit 4 people in the space for the sensor if you wanted to... well, unless you were REALLY friendly with each other. :p

Skeletal tracking is limited to two active players at a time, as we knew, but the system can at least keep its eye on up to six people at once -- like that totally optional pair of backup dancers in Dance Central.

Source: Engadget

I don't see that to be a problem though. Seems like the Xbox will be doing more work with Kinect as it is. Something would have to give if you tried to track more things with the same level of detail.

Source: Engadget

I don't see that to be a problem though. Seems like the Xbox will be doing more work with Kinect as it is. Something would have to give if you tried to track more things with the same level of detail.

The problem is they are pushing this for families. Families that have a current expectation of 4 people playing at a time.

Hopefully they come up with some clever way to switch the active players, so when one kid's turn is over, they can walk to the back of the room and another kid can move up front and have the full tracking switch automagically.

Or maybe they just design games to expect some people just flailing around to play and the skeleton tracking does not matter. Wii Waggle is going to seem like an advanced control setup once the Kinect is just looking for people having a seizure in any part of the frame. This seems likely...

The problem is they are pushing this for families. Families that have a current expectation of 4 people playing at a time.

Hopefully they come up with some clever way to switch the active players, so when one kid's turn is over, they can walk to the back of the room and another kid can move up front and have the full tracking switch automagically.

Or maybe they just design games to expect some people just flailing around to play and the skeleton tracking does not matter. Wii Waggle is going to seem like an advanced control setup once the Kinect is just looking for people having a seizure in any part of the frame. This seems likely...

Easy solution: get all but 2 family members to pull out their skeletons.

I agree about that being a big downside, this system really only works for party-style games. Keyword, party. Two people doesn't really constitute a 'party'.

The more I hear about this system, the more I think its impressive technically, but not so useful for gaming.

Kinect 1.0 ... only supports 2 players. Next-gen Xbox & Kinect (if they keep this dumb thing) will likely support more.

I wouldn't want more than 2 people playing within the same space.

i see move and kinect as taking away from nintendo more than i see it as something cool and worth getting

i see move and kinect as taking away from nintendo more than i see it as something cool and worth getting

This. Though i find Kinect more flawed in respect to control functions. How the hell do you pause a game with it? or press a fire button. Apparently you have to be standing for it to read movements. I'm not gonna want to stand for hours while playing games. Also they show Forza 3 accelerating and braking with no controller. How exactly?

Till i see a definitive guide as to how Kinect actually works i'm staying the hell away. At least until Child of Eden comes out. :D

Depending on how much movement is required, I don't know that the range/FOV could support more than 2 adults anyways. Hold out your arms straight left and right and turn around. Imagine someone next to you doing the same. That's about how much space is available to each person at 8' from the sensor to remain completely in view.

This. Though i find Kinect more flawed in respect to control functions. How the hell do you pause a game with it? or press a fire button. Apparently you have to be standing for it to read movements. I'm not gonna want to stand for hours while playing games. Also they show Forza 3 accelerating and braking with no controller. How exactly?

Till i see a definitive guide as to how Kinect actually works i'm staying the hell away. At least until Child of Eden comes out. :D

nothing showed or planned for kinect has any type of free movement in it. you don't press a fire button. ms came out and said they don't want fps call of duty-type games on kinect. what they really meant was 'you can't play this type of game on kinect without it being a complete joke'.

the forza demo/game controlled the speed, the drivers just move the car left and right to get around other cars. also if you took a good line through a corner, it would hold more speed.

in addition to not working while sitting, kinect does not work with dresses.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

you could still have 6 players that alternate.. the program should be able to see when one person sits down and the next person stands up by judging the distance when one person walks away and the next walks up closer to the sensor.. should work fine for games like bowling, tennis and what not which is the same family games used on the Wii..

nothing showed or planned for kinect has any type of free movement in it. you don't press a fire button. ms came out and said they don't want fps call of duty-type games on kinect. what they really meant was 'you can't play this type of game on kinect without it being a complete joke'.

the forza demo/game controlled the speed, the drivers just move the car left and right to get around other cars. also if you took a good line through a corner, it would hold more speed.

in addition to not working while sitting, kinect does not work with dresses.

it just used the automatic breaking with full throttle set on.. same thing we use with my little cousin so he can play forza otherwise he'd crash into every friggin wall..

Depending on how much movement is required, I don't know that the range/FOV could support more than 2 adults anyways. Hold out your arms straight left and right and turn around. Imagine someone next to you doing the same. That's about how much space is available to each person at 8' from the sensor to remain completely in view.

the fov is pretty low. kids fit in small spaces though, its pretty easy to fit two people and a kid (or two!) withing the space restriction.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

So with kinect being touted as a party machine is doesnt matter if it can do 4 player simultaneous motion control games like
Wii sports
Mario kart
Just Dance
raymans
Some of the biggest motion control sellers etc etc
Kinect is not for parties period.

I'm just curious if the way you interact with the Kinect will really be worth the loss of other people playing in lieu of a more traditional system Ala the wiimote and the PS move.

yeah, 2 players only + the price tag makes this a deal-breaker. I still think the tech has promise, just not in this implementation

Back