keyboard painting and relettering

super_stoner

Limp Gawd
I think it's coming along nicely. :D

relettering.jpg

relettering2.jpg

I'm still not sure if my windows key will end up being my "DANGER!" key, or my "Fuck it." key.:D

I'm using rub on lettering my dad got from radioshack around 15 years ago. :D They're used for project boxes and such I beleave.

You might wanna clear coat the keys or something so the lettering doesnt wear off.

god damnit i have looked and looked for rub on lettering and i cant find any thing...where do you get it?

Originally posted by Niku
god damnit i have looked and looked for rub on lettering and i cant find any thing...where do you get it?

Originally posted by super_stoner
I'm using rub on lettering my dad got from radioshack around 15 years ago.

I have no idea if radioshack still sells it.

google

Miachels used to sell it for the Pinewood derby kits used in boyscouts.
try them?

That right there is pretty awesome... What kind of paint can I use that won't wear off after long periods of use?

-warsaw

BWAHAHAHA. The 'Fuck it' key. Hey pirate bob, whats the shortcut for the Run Dialog Box? That would be 'Fuck it + Arrr.' Wow, that was incredibly dumb but oh well. I blame it on the taco bell.

Really nice job on the painting. I was thinking of painting my old HP keyboard over the mid-winter recess. The lettering looks really good for something that has been sitting around for 15 years. Good job.

I found a font of the Matrix code,...neone know of some, like, paper that i could print it onto, and then transfer over?

Originally posted by Codesage
I found a font of the Matrix code,...neone know of some, like, paper that i could print it onto, and then transfer over?

You can try that decal type paper...

There were actually a few symbols I had to make out of plain straight lines, that was one of 'em.

Originally posted by super_stoner
There were actually a few symbols I had to make out of plain straight lines, that was one of 'em.

thats crazy, nice job.

This keyboard will eventually end up being built into my keyboard tray, and be covered in black vinyl. It will be VERY low profile.

[edit] the green leds will also be changed to red.

nice job. nice to see someone do it right.

some advice on the clear coat - do a test on something other than your keyboard, a sample with the paint AND lettering - find out beforehand if your clearcoat will screw up your silver paint, or lift your lettering.

If it works ok, consider giving it as many coats as you have the patience for.

Originally posted by rayra
nice job. nice to see someone do it right.

some advice on the clear coat - do a test on something other than your keyboard, a sample with the paint AND lettering - find out beforehand if your clearcoat will screw up your silver paint, or lift your lettering.

Good advice, I will definately do that. Good thing I have an almost identical keyboard that has also been painted with the same stuff.

hmm, clearcoat usually works well, plus a very clean surface. do a couple of coats of each. clearcoat being last. at least 2 coats.

Originally posted by GLSauron
Wheres the "Any" key???
*numlock might work for it. See if you can get a chopped key so it cant be pressed either :)

Damn fine idea, I will do that for sure.:p

Back