Kernel confusion

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Linux Mint Cinnamon.

A couple of days ago it updated the kernel to 6.5.0-15-generic. today there's a kernel update to 5.15.0-92.102.

Looks like a downgrade to me. Anybody know what's going on? Should I stick with what I have or install the "update" ? :confused:

Google sucks worse and worse as time goes by. No matter how I phrase it all I get is "how to", not "why". 😡

Last edited:
you should switch to windows! ;)
it should be 6.5something not reverting to 5something. id leave it until they get that sorted out.

I posted the question over at the Mint forum and they said that I'm on 6.5 but I still have 5.15 installed but it'snot being used, 6.5 is. I can remove 5.15 and it will no longer show in my updates list.

Sys Info says 6.5, even after installing 5.15.

Switching back to Windows would be the worst downgrade ever. Ain't gonna happen. 🤮

I am all 5.15 but I am on mint 21.3

I'm on Mint 21.3 also but feel it's best to keep the kernel up to date, Now that I know you can have more than one kernel installed with only the latest active, hopefully I won't be confused in the future....unless I forget. :confused:

Mine just updated a couple of days ago. I have faith in their ability. I wouldn't sweat it. No matter what it still beats telemetry.

I posted the question over at the Mint forum and they said that I'm on 6.5 but I still have 5.15 installed but it'snot being used, 6.5 is. I can remove 5.15 and it will no longer show in my updates list.

Sys Info says 6.5, even after installing 5.15.

Switching back to Windows would be the worst downgrade ever. Ain't gonna happen. 🤮
Yep. You can have multiple kernels installed.

Ubuntu LTS does the same thing if you enable the Hardware Enablement kernel. It gives you a later kernel version than what ships with the LTS. You then get updates for the old kernel and the HWE kernel. You can remove the old kernel though if you don't want it.

thats just confusing...

It is only confusing since most distributions do not show grub's boot menu anymore. You are supposed to be able to select a kernel to boot (among those installed). Without the selection screen that makes little sense.

Yeah I get that boot option with grub for my dual boot. I can arrow down to advanced in grub and it takes me to all the different Kernel options to choose from. It's nice having multiple options.

thats just confusing...
It's anything but.

It is a great way to try out new kernels without having to risk hosing your whole system since if a new kernel doesn't work it's an extremely simple and quick change to revert to the previous kernel and have everything working again.

I keep a few kernels installed with Manjaro and it's easy to manage. Typically a couple LTS kernels along with the newest non-experimental kernel. As newer LTS kernels are released, the older ones get removed.

This beats the holy living hell out of being forced to use a single kernel dictated by someone no matter how good or bad it may be.

It's anything but.

It is a great way to try out new kernels without having to risk hosing your whole system since if a new kernel doesn't work it's an extremely simple and quick change to revert to the previous kernel and have everything working again.

I keep a few kernels installed with Manjaro and it's easy to manage. Typically a couple LTS kernels along with the newest non-experimental kernel. As newer LTS kernels are released, the older ones get removed.

This beats the holy living hell out of being forced to use a single kernel dictated by someone no matter how good or bad it may be.
explain why this thread exists then

Back