Kenwood true-x 72x cd-rom < dead

redboy01

n00b
I wish the search function worked on the forums. Oh well I'll just ask if anybody might know this one. I own a Kenwood 72x cdrom which is old now but I loved the speed. It is dead. No noise. No light. I figured it had a good life. I had also purchased my father the same drive around the same time. His quit working not long after mine did. This seemed kind of fishy. His drive is dead with no light as well. I was just wondering if anybody heard any issues with the Kenwood drives?

I've got several dvd roms, cd burners and dvd burner now. I just loved the performance of the kenwood when it worked.

no big deal I'll chunk it. I doubt I'll ever buy a kenwood again because it seems the drive was almost timed to quit working.

Those true-x drives have quality control issues... if you got more then a month you did well.

As i recall this is why the stopped selling the multi laser drives......

There were a lot of issues with those drives as said. The multilaser idea was cool but was really poorly implemented by Kenwood. They usually lasted around 6 months, couldn't read burned CD's, and had horrid access times with anything except the special Zen demo disc that came with them, but the speed was decent.

I had the exact same drive RMA'ed FOUR times. I think it overheated every time too. The bottom would be VERY HOT to the touch.

The drive would work great for about 2/4 weeks. Then it would act like it was getting no power. Every 20 or so times I would turn the computer on, it would work again for about 5 minutes, then die again.

After the 4th time, I gave up on it and just stuck with memorex cd-rw's ever since. :)

A few years ago, I had a similar problem with the 52x True-X... After it failed, I didn't even bother to have it fix. :rolleyes:

Back