Kaveri in stock

ya bit high priced atm.

Most of the reviews i've seen show its a tad faster than the a10-6800k. It has a large IPC increase but the clock speed has decreased. Power consumption has greatly improved.

I haven't really seen any of them benchmarked overclocked yet though. Which makes it compete with more higher end I5's in terms of price. The motherboards are a lot cheaper though.

If these can clock 5ghz+ then well that certainly has some value.

Zarathustra[H];1040547714 said:
Yeah, I'm still interested, but they are more money than I was expecting...

Yeah, they seem to be slightly marked up by retailers.

I thought the A10-7850K had an MSRP of $179.99, but from the looks of it they're priced $10 to $20 more than that.

If these can clock 5ghz+ then well that certainly has some value.

I wouldn't count on them being beastly overclockers. The new 28nm process AMD selected is geared towards transistor density rather than high frequency, making clicking them up much more difficult.

These will likely be rather poor overclockers.

I've only found one review (Anandtech) that even tries overclocking the CPU thus far, and they could only hit 4.4Ghz

Yeah, they seem to be slightly marked up by retailers.

I thought the A10-7850K had an MSRP of $179.99, but from the looks of it they're priced $10 to $20 more than that.

I am still debating whether to go for it in the near future or wait.

I built my new HTPC on a FM2+ mobo around the cheapest FM2 CPU I could find used on eBay (Richland A4-4000) to hold me over until the Kaveri launch. I was going to upgrade to a Kaveri right on launch, but the truth is, the low end Richland has been doing such an admirable job for what I do, that I am questioning whether or not I should, or if th emoney would be better spent elsewhere...

Zarathustra[H];1040547737 said:
I wouldn't count on them being beastly overclockers. The new 28nm process AMD selected is geared towards transistor density rather than high frequency, making clicking them up much more difficult.

I've only found one review (Anandtech) that even tries overclocking the CPU thus far, and they could only hit 4.4Ghz

HardwareHeaven claimed 5 but they didn't back it up with anything. Call me skeptical.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...g1sniper-a88x-power-use-and-overclocking.html

Are these Kaveri's better than my discrete 8800GT on an E6750? My game computer is in need of an upgrade. Wonder if this solution would work for *casual* gaming.

Lowest launch prices here:

- 7850K: 172 euros (FX-8350 is at 154 euros and FX-8320 at 121 euros).
- 7700k : 147 euros.

Pretty steep prices...

Zarathustra[H said:
]I built my new HTPC on a FM2+ mobo around the cheapest FM2 CPU I could find used on eBay (Richland A4-4000) to hold me over until the Kaveri launch. I was going to upgrade to a Kaveri right on launch, but the truth is, the low end Richland has been doing such an admirable job for what I do, that I am questioning whether or not I should, or if th emoney would be better spent elsewhere...

IMHO, unless you like throwing away your money, you should wait at least till Carizzo, which i suspect will get at least native acceleration for H265. Kaveri offers very little over Richland for HTPC with the current standards... By the time and if Kaveri will get a software decoder that will use HSA for H265 acceleration, all GPUs will have native hardware acceleration much more efficient and guaranteed to work better than a software decoder. My "native DVXA" acceleration in LAV doesn't always work with some videos still today, go figure.

For today's video requirements Richland's GPU is already overkill for HTPC, even a HD5450 can do everything asked with little complaint.

the only reason you need a better video card for video is using madVR for better reproduction of color, other than that a HD5450 is definitely okay, unless you want to do a 4k video playback then that's a different story.

Have held off on building a SFF PC for when my other boxes are tied up with ESXi because it meant dealing with crappy integrated graphics like Intel but I think the time is ripe to jump in. 30fps @ 1080p is nice but I'd be more than happy with 1680x1050 if it meant higher ~40fps. Also, xcited for the future possibilities when these are on TMSC and Global Foundries 20nm node with perhaps closer to 60fps at 1080p.

I'm doing a build on Microcenter and seeing a $29 after rebate MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 Socket FM2 mATX AMD mobo as an option. Is this really compatible since it's only FM2 and not FM2+?

AMD A10-7850K $179
MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 $39 ($29 after rebate)
x2 Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual $74.99
Probably go with a Noctua cooler

Last edited:
Is this really compatible since it's only FM2 and not FM2+?

Be careful.

Kaveri will ONLY work in FM2+ sockets. It is not pin compatible with FM2 sockets.

Older FM2 (Trinity, Richland) CPU's will fit in FM2+ sockets but not the other way around.

IMHO, unless you like throwing away your money, you should wait at least till Carizzo, which i suspect will get at least native acceleration for H265. Kaveri offers very little over Richland for HTPC with the current standards... By the time and if Kaveri will get a software decoder that will use HSA for H265 acceleration, all GPUs will have native hardware acceleration much more efficient and guaranteed to work better than a software decoder. My "native DVXA" acceleration in LAV doesn't always work with some videos still today, go figure.

For today's video requirements Richland's GPU is already overkill for HTPC, even a HD5450 can do everything asked with little complaint.

the only reason you need a better video card for video is using madVR for better reproduction of color, other than that a HD5450 is definitely okay, unless you want to do a 4k video playback then that's a different story.

I was kind of hoping Kaveri might bring better 23.976hz refresh rate accuracy than Trinity/Richland. Haven't seen any reviews look at this yet.

According to Anand, Trinity/Richland got close with 23.977hz, but not perfect. Intel used to be really bad, but has been fixed and is now perfect starting with Haswell. Nvidia GPU's can also be configured with custom refresh rates to match perfectly. AMD is the only one left now...

That being said, while I was very bothered by the skips on Intels pre Haswell designs, I can't say that I have even noticed a skip on my Richland CPU, even though I thought I would.

Zarathustra[H];1040548138 said:
I was kind of hoping Kaveri might bring better 23.976hz refresh rate accuracy than Trinity/Richland. Haven't seen any reviews look at this yet.

According to Anand, Trinity/Richland got close with 23.977hz, but not perfect. Intel used to be really bad, but has been fixed and is now perfect starting with Haswell. Nvidia GPU's can also be configured with custom refresh rates to match perfectly. AMD is the only one left now...

That being said, while I was very bothered by the skips on Intels pre Haswell designs, I can't say that I have even noticed a skip on my Richland CPU, even though I thought I would.

Ah, i remember reading about frame drops observed with MadVR and Intel GPUs. Honestly, i use the more humble EVR and a slight sharpening bicubic filter and am perfectly fine. I consider the rest knitpicking...

AMD graphics drivers do have a feature enabled by default that avoids frame drop. "Enable smooth playback" or something like that. Maybe that's why you haven't noticed any drop (maybe it works well).

Zarathustra[H];1040547737 said:

Hardware Canucks got 5ghz out of the sample they had. I don't think they will be bad overclockers. I haven't seen benchmarks with them running that fast yet though.

Zarathustra[H];1040547745 said:
I am still debating whether to go for it in the near future or wait.

I built my new HTPC on a FM2+ mobo around the cheapest FM2 CPU I could find used on eBay (Richland A4-4000) to hold me over until the Kaveri launch. I was going to upgrade to a Kaveri right on launch, but the truth is, the low end Richland has been doing such an admirable job for what I do, that I am questioning whether or not I should, or if th emoney would be better spent elsewhere...

I have the A88x Gigabyte sniper board, and the A4-4000. I use it as a media computer in my family room. I was going to upgrade to Kaveri as well. However at the current prices i'm considering the A10-6800k over the Kaveri. I am going to wait personally. Will see what mantle does, read a few more reviews, and surf overclocking results/scores before I bite.

Hardware Canucks got 5ghz out of the sample they had. I don't think they will be bad overclockers. I haven't seen benchmarks with them running that fast yet though.

I have the A88x Gigabyte sniper board, and the A4-4000. I use it as a media computer in my family room. I was going to upgrade to Kaveri as well. However at the current prices i'm considering the A10-6800k over the Kaveri. I am going to wait personally. Will see what mantle does, read a few more reviews, and surf overclocking results/scores before I bite.

Very similar here, but I went the mini-ITX route. GA-F2A88XN-WIFI with A4-4000.

Honestly the only thing bothering me right now is fan noise. In order to keep things cheap, I went with parts I had on hand. The cooler in the box with the A4-4000 looked too wimpy, so instead I used the cooler that came with my FX-8120 (or was it my old Thuban Phenom II x6 1090T, can't remember and as I recall they were pretty much identical)

I figured that if these coolers were designed for 125W TDP CPU's they should be able to spin more slowly on a 65W TDP CPU and the noise would be inaudible. Not the case at all.

Now I am debating getting a corsair cooler (H50, H55, H60, H75 or H80i) as I think they should all fit in the front of my Silverstone SG06 case. For conventional coolers the 82mm height limitation is a problem. As far as the water coolers go I am debating which would be the quietest option.

Theoretically, the thicker radiator of the H80 should allow more efficient cooling at lower fan speeds, and thus be quieter, but at the same time, this is a performance model that comes with faster noisier fans. What would probably be the best is an H80i with third party quiet fans...

Thicker fin density:higher performance at higher RPMs, lower fin density: higher performance at lower RPMs.

It's not a 100% accurate statement but it's generally true.

I went into my Microcenter today in Cambridge, MA. & scored the 7850K Kaveri (4.0 GHz) & the Asus A88XM-A MB (as a bundle) for $219.98 plus tax, plus Battlefield 4 for free! What a steal IMHO! I'll build my back-up system over the weekend (Win7 64 Professional)

Links:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

Individual links:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/423952/A88XM-A_Socket_FM2-FM2_A88X_mATX_AMD_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=045005

I went into my Microcenter today in Cambridge, MA. & scored the 7850K Kaveri (4.0 GHz) & the Asus A88XM-A MB (as a bundle) for $219.98 plus tax, plus Battlefield 4 for free! What a steal IMHO! I'll build my back-up system over the weekend (Win7 64 Professional)

Links:

Individual links:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/423952/A88XM-A_Socket_FM2-FM2_A88X_mATX_AMD_Motherboard

That store is the only brick and mortar store I buy anything computer related at in the greater Boston area. Everything else is online. Love the place. Old fashioned geek heaven.

Back when I built my VMWare server I picked up my FX-8120+Gigabyte GA-990FFXA-UD3 there for about $200. Their bundles are often unbeatable.

I recently discovered their "refurbished hard drives" section. Wish I had seen it back when I was building my NAS. I would have scooped up a bunch of cheap ones. Who cares if they fail, when they are cheap, and you have three redundant drives?

Then I usually stop by Trader Joes next door for dinner supplies. :p

Thicker fin density:higher performance at higher RPMs, lower fin density: higher performance at lower RPMs.

It's not a 100% accurate statement but it's generally true.

Hmm... So maybe I should just get a H55 and call it a day, especially if I don't plan on overclocking, and am more concerned with silence... Will save a little money too...

The room the HTPC is in isn't air conditioned though, so I hope it can keep up come summer...

Links:

Individual links:

wow, i wish i had a local microcenter...

wow, i wish i had a local microcenter...

I have to admit, they are pretty great.

The bundled motherboards aren't always what you would have chosen if it weren't for the bundle, but the bundle pricing is always fantastic.

Zarathustra[H];1040548722 said:
I have to admit, they are pretty great.

The bundled motherboards aren't always what you would have chosen if it weren't for the bundle, but the bundle pricing is always fantastic.

Zara: The Asus A88XM-A is a solid MB overall for all of my needs. I love the bundle price as well! Simply can't beat it!

got so many Kaveris here in the lab. passing and failing ones.

What do you mean 'lab'?

Saw you mentioned the NDA being lifted- you're an AMD employee I would guess? Exactly what kind of information are you finding in this lab regarding the new APU's?

7850k for my HTPC on it's way. Don't need no stinkin 65 watt part.

Dang that's $40 off on the Microcenter bundle compared to buying them separately. Didn't even scroll down to see that earlier. Going to do that bundle instead.

What do you mean 'lab'?

Saw you mentioned the NDA being lifted- you're an AMD employee I would guess? Exactly what kind of information are you finding in this lab regarding the new APU's?

we'll just like what every review site has observed the CPU architecture is still lagging. even my ~4yr old i7 850k feels faster.

just like any factory there are units that would fail some test. we make sure that these parts doesn't go out the door.

used to work for Intel also and its almost the same system level testing environment.

Zarathustra[H];1040548679 said:
That store is the only brick and mortar store I buy anything computer related at in the greater Boston area. Everything else is online. Love the place. Old fashioned geek heaven.

Back when I built my VMWare server I picked up my FX-8120+Gigabyte GA-990FFXA-UD3 there for about $200. Their bundles are often unbeatable.

I recently discovered their "refurbished hard drives" section. Wish I had seen it back when I was building my NAS. I would have scooped up a bunch of cheap ones. Who cares if they fail, when they are cheap, and you have three redundant drives?

Then I usually stop by Trader Joes next door for dinner supplies. :p

Zara: I think you nailed it when it comes to Microcenter. It's one of the last holdouts for computer supplies. Like, you I purchase my MB, CPU & HD's there in case it fails when I'm building a rig. Also, they'll match any Newegg deals as well. I order ahead of time as the drive from Gloucester to Cambridge is no bargain. You can never go wrong with Trader Joe's as well.

From Newegg newsletter today:

2014-01-16_07-18-09.png

7850K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113359

7700K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113360

ASUS A88X-Pro - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132056

Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128659

Links:

Individual links:

Let us know how it goes because I have a big concern with these new Kaveri combos. If you go to any of the possible FM2+ motherboard websites and check the supported cpu list it seems you need a new bios. I'm not sure that the boards at the stores would have a new enough bios so you might be stuck.
It may be a good idea for anyone going to a store to ask them what their policy is for this type of case.

Let us know how it goes because I have a big concern with these new Kaveri combos. If you go to any of the possible FM2+ motherboard websites and check the supported cpu list it seems you need a new bios. I'm not sure that the boards at the stores would have a new enough bios so you might be stuck.
It may be a good idea for anyone going to a store to ask them what their policy is for this type of case.

Very good point.

If worse comes to worse you could do what I did and pick up a Richland A4-4000 used on eBay for $25 and then use it just to flash the new bios and then resell it on the hardforums. It's a pain, but it would work.

I noticed that as well. It's a new MB platform, so I'm sure I'll be fine. I'll post back when I have the time to build it over the weekend.

UPDATE: I just checked the Asus website for the A8XM-A & it's supports the 7850K out of the box.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A88XMA/#support

Last edited:
Back