k8n neo2 platinum?

purple_haze

2[H]4U
i need an agp board and i was wondering if this would be compatible with the opteron 144. I'm just building a computer for my dad plus and i already havea 9800 pro lying around the house so i dont wanna go pci-e. He doesnt need anything fancy but good enough to play his rts games and the 9800 pro will fit the bill nicely. Looking around the net, i find that agp 939 socket boards are a rare breed.

Is it really the best AGP 939 overclocker? My brother has an extra one and offered it to me to use over my DFI NF3 Ultra-D, but I thought the DFI would be better.

Well, DFI doesn't offer the nForce 3 Ultra board anymore, if that's any indication of it's reliablity.

dragonorta said:
Well, DFI doesn't offer the nForce 3 Ultra board anymore, if that's any indication of it's reliablity.

Well who really offers NF3's anymore? Newegg has none.

the neo plat.2 is a good board and i know you are looking at an agp board because you have a card lying around.... but have you thought about something like a biostar t-force board (or any nvidia 6100 board).... it has onboaed graphics and if you (or your dad) want to upgrade to better graphics you'll have pci-e

I am upgrading from an ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard (32-bit processor and no dual channel support) to a K8N Neo2 Platinum and I was wondering if the processor I am looking to get for it is a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

I have been building comps for about 8 year nows but have fallen out of touch with hardware over the past year or so and don't know much about processor cores. Is the Vencie core a good one and will the processor I am looking work well with the Neo2 Platinum mobo?

The NEO-2 Platinum is a great board ! I had one before I went to PCI-e.
With the latest either MSI or tweaked BIOS that board will run Opty's just fine.
The 3200 is a decent CPU, I like my 3700 San Diego better as I come within 50 MHZ
of an FX57's Clockspeed.

Khaos Kid said:
I am upgrading from an ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard (32-bit processor and no dual channel support) to a K8N Neo2 Platinum and I was wondering if the processor I am looking to get for it is a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

I have been building comps for about 8 year nows but have fallen out of touch with hardware over the past year or so and don't know much about processor cores. Is the Vencie core a good one and will the processor I am looking work well with the Neo2 Platinum mobo?
I'm currently using a K8N Neo2 and have been for 1.5 yrs. now. It is probably the best NForce3 Ultra board out there. That 3200+ Venice CPU will work very nicely in your new Neo2. Just make sure to use good (OCZ, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston, Crucial...) matched Dual Channel RAM and place the DIMMs in the 2 slots closest to the CPU (DIMM slots 1 & 2). Connect any SATA drives to channels 3 & 4 if you want to OC, and set the AGP Frequency (Cell Menu) to 67. You should be fine. Honestly, the DFI boards are much more finiky to set up than the Neo2. Good Luck.

Renegade87 said:
I'm currently using a K8N Neo2 and have been for 1.5 yrs. now. It is probably the best NForce3 Ultra board out there. That 3200+ Venice CPU will work very nicely in your new Neo2. Just make sure to use good (OCZ, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston, Crucial...) matched Dual Channel RAM and place the DIMMs in the 2 slots closest to the CPU (DIMM slots 1 & 2). Connect any SATA drives to channels 3 & 4 if you want to OC, and set the AGP Frequency (Cell Menu) to 67. You should be fine. Honestly, the DFI boards are much more finiky to set up than the Neo2. Good Luck.

What FSB are you getting out of your Neo2, and are you cooling your northbridge?

I'm running this:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum BIOS v1B
AMD Athlon64 3500+ CPU
Swiftech MCX6400-V Heatsink
WD Raptor 740GD 74GB SATA

WD Caviar SE 2500KS 250GB SATAII
BFG GeForce 6800GT OC 256MB AGP 8x
4x 1024MB OCZ Performance PC3200 DDR (2T 3-2-5-2)
PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe PSU

LiteOn SOHO 1673S 16x DVDRW
LiteOn LTR 52327S CDRW
BlueGears/HDA Digital XMYSTIQUE 7.1 Sound Card
Hauppauge WinTV PCI
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Aluminum Case
LG1980Q 19" LCD Monitor
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital Speakers

I'm currently running at stock FSB speed with no additional/aftermarket Northbridge cooling as I'm about to build a new system (see below) and sell most of my current hardware to my GF's Son (after I completely recover from the surgery I had last Friday.... don't want to build a new system while I'm taking Oxycodone ie:generic Percocet)

Sometime next week I'll be putting this together:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego CPU
Swiftech MCX6400-V Heatsink
WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB SATA

WD Raptor 740GD 74GB SATA
WD Caviar SE 2500KS 250GB SATAII
eVGA 256-P2-N564 Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB
4x 1024MB OCZ Performance PC3200 DDR
Seasonic S-12 600 PSU
2x PLEXTORPX-716SA/SWSATA DVD Burner

Auzentech HDA X-Plosion 7.1 DTS Connect Sound Card
Hauppauge WinTV PCI
SilverStone Temjin SST-TJ03 - Black Aluminum Case
LG1980Q 19" LCD Monitor
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital Speakers

I currently have everything I need/want in my posession except for the WD Raptor WD1500 which I'll probably order (Newegg) tomorrow.

If you search deep enough, you'll see where Anand got over 290 FSB with the Neo2 on air cooling. Pretty impressive. Honestly though, I never really screwed around with it that much.... no time.

Mine ran rock solid at 283 until about 8 months ago when it just up and died.

Back