just wanting to learn

nertil1

Limp Gawd
i always see people talking about memory rating or whatever it's called.
like for example 2, 2, 2, 5
My question is what do those numbers represent?
I just wanna know
thanks
-nertil

They are timings for the RAM, Im not sure how to explain it but the Memory FAQ does a great job thats what taught me.

Like stated above. When you see people post numbers like 2-2-2-6 or 3-4-4-7, they are refering to the memory timing. You can adjust these in the BIOS. The numbers each represent something different. They refer to: CAS Latency - RAS to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Active to Precharge.

CAS = Delay between activation of row and reading row
RAS to CAS = Activates row
RAS Precharge = Deactivates row
Active to Precharge = Number of clock cycles between activation and deactivation of row

So basically...the tighter the timings, the faster the RAM. I have tested timings with benchmarks and they make a difference.

Hope this helps you learn some more.

Edit: Damn! I should have known all that and a shitload more was in the Memory FAQ. I just browsed thru the thread. Lots of good info.

Yes, because it takes fewer cycles for the memory to do things like access a column or row.

i'm not into overclocking but i believe if you overclock sometimes you're forced to loosen the timings so that th esysmte can run stable.. this true?

RancidWannaRiot: yes, sometimes when you're overclocking, you'll have to loosen up the timings or increase the voltage to achieve the higher overclock. Memory just can't retain their low timings when they're reaching high frequencies. If the overclock is significant enough, the increased memory speed and bandwidth will hopefully offset the loosening up of the timings.

Back