Just received a new email from MicroCenter about my SB Board

Hostile

Gawd
Here you go:

An important announcement regarding your Intel I7 2600K, I7 2600, I5 2500K, or I5 2400 Processor (“Sandy Bridge”) motherboard purchase.
Beginning March 3rd, we will start to receive inventory from several manufacturers for the next 2-3 weeks. Inventory however will be limited until early April. We wanted you to be one of the first to know.

There are several options open to you. So that we may better serve you, please complete a very short questionnaire concerning which options you prefer. After completing the questionnaire you will be taken to a page with further details. See your local Micro Center store with questions.

Thank you for your business and your patience through this extremely rare situation.

Please click the link below to be taken to the questionnaire.

Your Micro Center Team

There is a link to the survey and it starts with the following options:

Listed below are options available to you regarding your purchase:

Keep the motherboard you originally purchased. Intel tests have indicated the majority of customers will not have an issue with their existing motherboard. The issue is one of limitations on your ability to expand beyond more than two SATA ports. The risk of data loss is minimal. Please note: If you change your mind, you may still return or swap the board at your convenience.

Return the motherboard to Micro Center for a replacement. You will receive full credit for the original purchase amount to be applied toward any brand in-stock board you prefer. If this motherboard is already in use, you may want to wait until April when inventory availability significantly improves.

Swap the motherboard directly with the motherboard Manufacturer. Each manufacturer has certain provisions for exchange and availability. Go to www.microcenter.com for a complete list of manufacturer rules, or directly to the manufacturer's website. The manufacturers are prioritizing inventory for end-users who contact them directly.

And it looks like they are thinking of offering $25 gift cards if you agree to hold off until April or May for your replacement.

Last edited:
I got the same email. I would gladly wait until Apr-May for a $25 gift card. I bought a $14 PCI-E SATA adapter, so I can wait as long as it takes.

I put down that I would hold off until May 15th if they gave me $25 for my answer.

The nice thing about this approach is that you'll get full credit towards any brand in-stock, so if the Z68 boards hit the "May" availability rumors, this could work out decently enough.

The $25 gift card offer is just an idea in the survey at this point; they haven't committed to anything yet.

The Intel® H67 and P67 based boards should start showing up at the resellers by mid-March. While supplies may be limited at first, Intel is working very hard to ensure that we can meet the demand as quickly as possible. Other manufacturers should have their boards out around the same time frame.
As far as returning any existing boards, Intel’s official position on this issue is all the boards that have a “B2” stepping should be returned to the point of purchase unless the SATA 2 ports can be permanently disabled. For additional information on this issue you can read the official press release here http://newsroom.intel.com/community...es-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution.

The 25.00 gift card sounds good but my board is limping along with the other Asus problem with this board with one of the ram slots dying. I'm thinking of swapping the Asus board for the MSI if it's available.
It sucks the ram problem started almost the same time as the recall so I haven't had many options and I'm really tired of having my money tied up in worthless hardware.

I'm guessing that the z68 boards will be a little more expensive, so if they do the $25 gift card, that may offset the difference in price.

Back