Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Just got my replacement and it's almost identical to the first. Do the majority of these lcd's have lot more backlight bleed in the lower right hand corner?

A suggestion: If you have a soft cloth you might be able to make the bleed on your monitor *better*. In my experience, the bleed that I've seen on a lot of IPS panels is due to pressure. While the pressure cannot be completely removed, often you can "distribute" it by taking a cloth and gently pressing on the panel and wiping across the screen (just like you are dusting it). Of course while you make one area better, it can end up making another area worse. The key is to distribute the pressure on the screen even enough to not be distracting during use. Since bleed is most noticeable on a black/blank screen, I use that (and in a darkened room). I'll wipe for a while trying different directions, areas, etc. Then I'll step back and take a look to see if it's better. I've had success with this on monitors and tv's alike. This has only been my experience for IPS though... Hope this might help others who might have an otherwise great display.

I'm wanting to order one, but now it seems like they have backlight issues? I've got my contact at Dell ready to ship for $212 thanks to this thread, but getting cold feet now.

I'm wanting to order one, but now it seems like they have backlight issues? I've got my contact at Dell ready to ship for $212 thanks to this thread, but getting cold feet now.

I just got mine 2 weeks ago. I don't notice any backlight bleed. Most of what you are seeing is white glow with these panels. I have absolutely no problems with mine. Very happy. I am picky also. Just give it a try. I think you will be happy.

Hi Arc, would you be willing to share your Dell Rep's contact information either here or via PM? The best deal the rep's I've talked to have given me so far is $240 per monitor and I would like to buy 3 and an active display port adapter. After Taxes and environmental fee's etc, the total for that comes out to nearly $940, which is pretty steep.

Hi Arc, would you be willing to share your Dell Rep's contact information either here or via PM? The best deal the rep's I've talked to have given me so far is $240 per monitor and I would like to buy 3 and an active display port adapter. After Taxes and environmental fee's etc, the total for that comes out to nearly $940, which is pretty steep.

[email protected] is who I got mine from for 212 shipped plus tax.

Am I the only unlucky one in this thread? It seems everyone is still getting the $212 deal and I send a message to Christa and some guy named [email protected] answers says its $250.00. I was all ready to buy the thing but its a bit frustrating about this odd price.

Yea, that happened to me too. Emailed and called Christa (goes straight to voicemail), and David replied with a price of $250. I was ready to buy as well, but for 3 monitors thats over $100 more than I had budgeted.

Hmmmm. I was all ready to buy this right away but I guess I am back into dwelling about the ASUS and the upcoming HP displays. :(

Yea, that happened to me too. Emailed and called Christa (goes straight to voicemail), and David replied with a price of $250. I was ready to buy as well, but for 3 monitors thats over $100 more than I had budgeted.

Hey guys, I might be in the same boat, not sure yet. I had originally emailed Christa, and another guy replied back. Just late last week I was quoted the price, I emailed him yesterday, and this morning and have not heard back. I was getting very quick replies before, so who knows.

If I'm able to get a response I will post his info....

UPDATE: I just got an email from him (just as I was typing this up), sent him my ph# so if I can get this done in the next hour or so I will post back.

Last edited:
You guys need to CALL Christa, don't just call to kick the tires or dick around. Please don't abuse the number, use it if you're really ready to buy. She gave me all 3 monitors at $212 and a DP adapter at $75.

Christa's direct phone number is (512) 946-0448

SeaFoam, that's exactly what I did. But when you call her it goes directly to voicemail (and has been for at least 4 days). I initially contacted only her via email and voicemail, but it seems another rep is either covering for her, or has taken over for her. And this rep is only giving a price of $250ish. I also asked if they could price match for the Canadian sale (~$220US), but he said they couldn't do that.
Not kicking the tires here, if I can get 3 monitors for 212 each and the DP adapter for 75 I would make the purchase today.

I tried calling her many times today and I seem to get her voicemail. Should I be putting a message in or will I get a callback from David?

You will have to leave a message, I had the same thing - she is really busy but she did get back to me. Couple of times it was same day, once it was next day.

Thank you very much. The reason this is important is because we received a gift card for around $240. If the price is around $212 + tax and/or shipping, I can afford it but if it is $250 then I guess I will have to get something else.

Your help is much appreciated.

Grrrr. I was not able to cancel my order in time, and since dell is going to walk away with my $20.. hopefully I can save some of you guys $20.

For all Canadians out there, dell will be putting this monitor on sale for $209.99 starting Tuesday Mar.2, 2010. I think that's about $232.49 shipped (assuming they still have free ground shipping).

I purchased 2 refurbs last week for 199 3 year warranty . Ony issue I really have is that one has a slight yellow tint that I will only be able to remove with a real calibration . Gonna buy one more for some eyefinity fun :)

BTW one had 15 hours the other 19 , one a dec 09 one oct 09

Well, it seems if my 2209WA has developed a slight hum.

Putting brightness to 100% makes it go away.

Anything I can do to fix this?

EDIT - Setting the brightness to 80 makes it a lot better.

Something weird, it didn't start doing this until I hooked it up to this new rig. My old rig that I had hooked up a few days ago didn't do this at all. That's odd.

Last edited:
Yea Oppy, good idea. I just placed an order on the refurb site. With 3 years warranty I don't care if its refurbed. I also bought it on my Amex Blue, so that adds another year on the warranty. Hated paying full price for the Display adapter, but oh well.
Thanks everyone for the good input.

Yesterday I have noticed that blue LED on my power on/off button is not working. :eek:
When monitor goes to standby LED on my power on/off button is working and it lights orange.
Maybe I somehow turned off blu LED when monitor is working, or it is faulty? :confused:

Yea Oppy, good idea. I just placed an order on the refurb site. With 3 years warranty I don't care if its refurbed. I also bought it on my Amex Blue, so that adds another year on the warranty. Hated paying full price for the Display adapter, but oh well.
Thanks everyone for the good input.

Are you sure it has a 3 year warranty? It clearly states on the Dell Outlet monitor page that all refurbished monitors come with 90 day warranty.

Well, it seems if my 2209WA has developed a slight hum.

Putting brightness to 100% makes it go away.

Anything I can do to fix this?

EDIT - Setting the brightness to 80 makes it a lot better.

Something weird, it didn't start doing this until I hooked it up to this new rig. My old rig that I had hooked up a few days ago didn't do this at all. That's odd.

did you try plugging the monitor into a different surge protector? Perhaps a new surge protector or a different one than your pc is plugged into.

Lots of times buzzing can be attributed to dirty power.

did you try plugging the monitor into a different surge protector? Perhaps a new surge protector or a different one than your pc is plugged into.

Lots of times buzzing can be attributed to dirty power.

Nope. This model has a well-documented history of loud buzzing inverters. Read the thread in its entirety. I had to replace mine twice before I got a silent version.

Yesterday I have noticed that blue LED on my power on/off button is not working. :eek:
When monitor goes to standby LED on my power on/off button is working and it lights orange.
Maybe I somehow turned off blu LED when monitor is working, or it is faulty? :confused:

Mine no longer works either. Same thing as yours. Lights up orange, but no blue.

Nope. This model has a well-documented history of loud buzzing inverters. Read the thread in its entirety. I had to replace mine twice before I got a silent version.

I keep up on this thread, but I am most certainly not going to read and commit to memory the entire thread just to write a quick and possibly helpful reply.

Just because this model may have a history of buzzing issues does not preclude it from also being susceptable to dirty power.

I just received my other 2 lcds on 2/23. Ordered on 2/16 with Christa at $219+tax. My NEC 20wmgx2 looks substantially better in portrait mode, but it doesn't pivot, so I just leaned it for a few weeks.

Triple 2209wa panels look good, but one doesn't seem as bright as the other two. I can post revision numbers later tonight. Eyefinity in Portrait is great for RTS games. Age of Empires 3 is great with a increased distance view.

Yea the Dell outlet Warranty is a little misleading. It appears to only be 90 days. It says it at the bottom of the main dell outlet page. The problem is if your browser window isn't set big, you'll have to scroll and might end up skipping right past that into the details of the monitor you want. The product description says 3 years, but its probably the same product description used for the regular dell site. But on the very same page there's a button to check inventory for the model you're looking at, so if you're not paying attention you kind of assume that the product description applies to the refurb inventory you're about to look at.
I'll probably end up cancelling my order because a 90 day warranty isn't very much. That's what I get for placing orders when I'm tired. There have also been people on in other threads in hardforum that have said it comes with a 3 year, so I didn't scrutinize as much as I should have.

I know the normal monitors have 90 day warranty , but Iam sure I read that the ultrassharps have the 3 year. Granted I cant get a hold of anyone right now but ill call tomorrow for sure.

Does anyone here know if the 2209WA will accept a 1080P signal from the PS3 and then just down convert it to fit the screen?

Right now my LCD will only accept 720P for input and then upscale it. I have to admit the results are just ok.

I just received my other 2 lcds on 2/23. Ordered on 2/16 with Christa at $219+tax. My NEC 20wmgx2 looks substantially better in portrait mode, but it doesn't pivot, so I just leaned it for a few weeks.

Triple 2209wa panels look good, but one doesn't seem as bright as the other two. I can post revision numbers later tonight. Eyefinity in Portrait is great for RTS games. Age of Empires 3 is great with a increased distance view.

do you always use them in portrait, I'm assuming this means you literaly have the monitor 90 degrees from the normal stance?

I'm considering having 2 24" TN/PVA screen on the sides and have the 2209WA as main screen in tripple setup

The one that doesn't seem as bright... is it on the dp adapter?

Called today was told multiple times that is in fact 1 year on the 2 that I purchased. I asked about the 90 day and He could only tell me the 2 I purchased had a 1 year warranty.

Called today was told multiple times that is in fact 1 year on the 2 that I purchased. I asked about the 90 day and He could only tell me the 2 I purchased had a 1 year warranty.

Hmm so maybe there's hope for my order. I chatted with a Sales rep and he said 90 days. I then told him that the way things were setup on the site was ambiguous and he told me to contact customer care, which I did. I have not heard back from them yet.

Realistically, how often do these monitors go bad over time?

Wonder if they just tell folks something to move them along ? :eek: The gentleman from India asked for my purchase order and that's how he told me what the warranty was. If iam not mistaken I called 18006249897. But when I order the third one ill just call and see if I can get the 212 deal so I know for sure there's a 3 year.

I have an Samsung 20 inch that is 4 years old no real issues other than my wife having to boost the brightness one tick. I think the majority of issues happen outta the box or a week or so in if you use them often.

Back