Just ordered my FIRST PSU ever.....how'd I do?

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934

I was either going to get this one or the Antec TruePower II for the same price. After reading thru some reviews and the FAQs here at [H], I decided to go with the Fortron.

I dont plan on OC'ing, at least not right away.

AMD 3700 SD
1HD
7900gt
GA-K8N Pro mobo
2 gig Patriots

Did I make a good choice? This is my first computer build, just wanted to hear from others If I made a good choice or not :D

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A, 2.0 version, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 500W - Retail

FSP is good... as long as it's not the
Saga series. FSP/SPI is on jonny's blue list.

Antec are decent and mostly reliable, but in all my experience they tend to have voltage fluctuation (sometimes to extremes) and personally I won't use them for enthusiast level rigs anymore.

That FSP is a beast, the only thing I would have done is to have spent a little extra and gone for the 600w Epsilon model for a bit of future proofing, especially if you plan to go SLI later on down the line.

Yeah, I wanted to get a 550watter or above...but, heh, I only had $99 on my credit card, this PSU plus SH&H came to $96.98. Guess I should have mentioned I was under an EXTREME budget....

Thanks for the comments fellas :D Every now and then, a person just needs to be told they made a good decision regardless of what info they have read..soo, thanks again :D

Oh, and one of the reasons I didnt get the Antec was because of it NOT having modular cabling. I figured, this being my first build and not knowing exactly what all the wires were, I figured if they were all a jumbled mess, it would give me a harder time dealing wiith plugging in everything as opposed to the "clean" modular setup the FSP has to offer. So, ease was part of the equation that made me go for the FSP :D

A Enermax Liberty 400W would of been better and cheaper.

Edit: it is because the new 7900 line from nVidia was designed to run on less power (upon other things). The thing takes <80W.

Back