Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

So far Ive gotten Wacraft and Dayz working on it. Garrys mod and Counterstrike dont seem to fit well

You can try to force it via the system config.ini. I managed to get a few, whome refuse by doing it in the gamemenu, to work this way, but those I mentioned look strange and have an a-symmetric stretch.

Strange thing is, many old games work perfectly and the newer ones, which are soppesed to have eyefinity ,don't :D

Based on the conversation in the UP3214Q thread, it sounds like AMD drivers are not advertising the correct resolution to games and so that's why you run into issues with some. Report to AMD and hope for a fix?

AMD fix drivers....???

funny guy

Based on the conversation in the UP3214Q thread, it sounds like AMD drivers are not advertising the correct resolution to games and so that's why you run into issues with some. Report to AMD and hope for a fix?

I myself currently use Nvidia cards(and thus don't have any startup issues with games like CSGO and Garry's Mod on my MST monitor, hence why I said it was a driver issue) but I try not to turn every thread into a 'lol amd is always broken' vs 'wow nvidia is a bunch of profiteering douchebags' because this forum already has far too much of that :p

They 're causing it, not supriced :D . Hopefully they adress these things quickly.
Thanx for heading up, gonna take a look at that thread.

So in theory since I have 1.2dp enabled could i daisy chain my 1440p off it?

Only if everything was running at 6bpc. Displayport 1.2 only has enough bandwidth for a 960 Mhz pixelclock limit @ 6 bpc and 720 Mhz pixelclock @ 8 bpc. Standard 4k timings for 3840x2160@60Hz is 600 Mhz and 1440p is about 250 Mhz so its going over the 8bpc limit. Even with cvt-reduced timings the combined total would be 774 Mhz.

Anyone tried a triple PPP setup yet with these babes? Because I am thinking of giving it a try sometime next month.. I will be using them for work though, no gaming atm.

AMD fix drivers....???

funny guy

Btw, to any nVidia users; do you also encouter resolution-, fov- or any other display issue's in Tombraider , Hitman, Far Cry3 (fov messed up low perf also) and DeusEx HR(directors cut)? I wonder it's the game, or AMD drivers. Thanx :)

Btw, to any nVidia users; do you also encouter resolution-, fov- or any other display issue's in Tombraider , Hitman, Far Cry3 (fov messed up low perf also) and DeusEx HR(directors cut)? I wonder it's the game, or AMD drivers. Thanx :)

On a particular display or in general? I've played all those on my rig with none of the issues you listed.

What GPU would you recommend with this monitor in a single-GPU system? I see Titans and nVidia 660s in the thread, but I presume some are in SLI.

I don't game much on my PC, nothing demanding on the GPU. I use Linux Mint and Windows 7, so my main concern would be solid support in both OSs, color fidelity and of course price. Quadro would be nice, but they are out of my price range. edit: I just noticed that nVidia's entry-level Quadro 410 and 600 are well within my price range. I'm not familiar with the range, so need to do further research on whether they are suitable.

The two cards I've shortlisted are MSI N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC and MSI N760 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GD5/OC. Both come with DP 1.2 connector. Latter is a lot more expensive. Would you expect these to drive the monitor well, and are there better options?

Last edited:
Pretty much any 600 series or up GPU(ie DP 1.2 MST) should be fine for non-gaming uses with a single 4K display. Keep in mind that people have long been driving many more pixels in multiple monitor setups like that with much lower end cards.

Pretty much any 600 series or up GPU(ie DP 1.2 MST) should be fine for non-gaming uses with a single 4K display. Keep in mind that people have long been driving many more pixels in multiple monitor setups like that with much lower end cards.

Good point.

After some research, since I don't do 3D or video editing, for my uses the only benefit a Quadro card would offer is 10-bit support in Windows, for a rather large price premium.

Curiously, nVidia drivers disable 10-bit support in Photoshop (which uses OpenGL) in consumer cards, although they use the same hardware as Quadros. In Linux even consumer cards from nVidia put out 10 bits. More info and photography geek discussion in this Dpreview thread.

I've earlier decided that 10-bit support itself is not worth the price premium since it is only needed in extremely rare photographs with difficult gradients (skies, mostly), or in artificial test images constructed specifically to show the 10-bit benefit.

Therefore a consumer card would be perfect, as it would still be able to run the few games I play which are not available on Playstation. I might go for the 660 mentioned above, and upgrade if Elite: Dangerous requires more power from the GPU when it is released.

Good point.

After some research, since I don't do 3D or video editing, for my uses the only benefit a Quadro card would offer is 10-bit support in Windows, for a rather large price premium.

Curiously, nVidia drivers disable 10-bit support in Photoshop (which uses OpenGL) in consumer cards, although they use the same hardware as Quadros. In Linux even consumer cards from nVidia put out 10 bits. More info and photography geek discussion in this Dpreview thread.

I've earlier decided that 10-bit support itself is not worth the price premium since it is only needed in extremely rare photographs with difficult gradients (skies, mostly), or in artificial test images constructed specifically to show the 10-bit benefit.

Except Photoshop doesn't run in Linux, so the whole 10 bit support thing is moot. People seem to forget that nothing uses it...which is why Nvidia gets away with it.

Except Photoshop doesn't run in Linux, so the whole 10 bit support thing is moot. People seem to forget that nothing uses it...which is why Nvidia gets away with it.

That's right, and PS is pretty much the only software out there that supports 10 bit at all, AFAIK.

I will be running PS in Win7. I'll take a closer look at GIMP on Linux when it comes with 16-bit editing, since I won't be moving to Adobe's cloud. 16-bit editing has been promised in 2.10 which might be released this year. Then again, it's been promised since early naughties, so I'm not holding my breath :(

Holy hell Dell's phone customer service is a joke. The replacement monitor did not come with any return info/label for the old monitor. I've been on the phone with India for an hour, 7 departments later I still have no way to return this thing.

Their email and chat systems wont work if you don't have a service tag, which these monitors don't. Sent an unresolved case to them. Bunch of idiots.

yeah they pretty horrible..I once got a free monitor from them this way thou. I was so mad at them I just told them I did send it back.

Holy hell Dell's phone customer service is a joke. The replacement monitor did not come with any return info/label for the old monitor. I've been on the phone with India for an hour, 7 departments later I still have no way to return this thing.

Their email and chat systems wont work if you don't have a service tag, which these monitors don't. Sent an unresolved case to them. Bunch of idiots.

Haha surely someone must be expecting the monitor back? Otherwise I say keep it!

For reasons unique to myself, I'm very seriously thinking about getting this monitor in order to use it for 18" 2560x1600 gaming using 1:1 pixel-mapping on my Nvidia GTX 680. I'm sure nobody has tried doing that, but could someone give it a whirl and see if there are any issues?

For reasons unique to myself, I'm very seriously thinking about getting this monitor in order to use it for 18" 2560x1600 gaming using 1:1 pixel-mapping on my Nvidia GTX 680. I'm sure nobody has tried doing that, but could someone give it a whirl and see if there are any issues?

it works....to small for me...but it works.

My math was bad. 2560x1600 on the UP2414Q would actually be a 16.45" display. I would want to go up to 2880x1800 for an 18.5" display, or 2800x1750 for a 17.96" display (trying to have as many zeros as possible for these unusual resolutions).

those resolutions would be a little hard to do, and would depend entirely on whether which games supports it.. But you could technically do it on the desktop by setting a custom resolution.

My math was bad. 2560x1600 on the UP2414Q would actually be a 16.45" display. I would want to go up to 2880x1800 for an 18.5" display, or 2800x1750 for a 17.96" display (trying to have as many zeros as possible for these unusual resolutions).

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems when using MST mode and trying to resume from sleep/hibernate in windows 7?

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems when using MST mode and trying to resume from sleep/hibernate in windows 7?

I just want to put out, that I've had an issue with every DP connected display coming from sleep / hibernate. I just don't put my computer in sleep anymore and just turn off my displays.

When using this display at 1080p, does it look exactly like the quality of a 24-inch 1080p display? I'm curious for the purpose of playing games at 1080p and running apps that don't scale well in Windows at 1080p.

Nope, it's not the native resolution so it looks pretty washed out....in either MST or SST mode. This monitor needs to stay in 4k/60hz. Anything else and you will not like it.

but at the native it's the most beautiful screen ever. Perfect semi-gloss, just beautiful.

When using this display at 1080p, does it look exactly like the quality of a 24-inch 1080p display? I'm curious for the purpose of playing games at 1080p and running apps that don't scale well in Windows at 1080p.

Last edited:
Nope, it's not the native resolution so it looks pretty washed out....in either MST or SST mode. This monitor needs to stay in 4k/60hz. Anything else and you will not like it.

but at the native it's the most beautiful screen ever. Perfect semi-gloss, just beautiful.

Have you tried it with display scaling disabled in your graphics options while in SST? It should just pixel double in the display and look the same as a native 1080p display. I'm trying to be certain if it will or won't work before ordering. Some of my apps aren't usable when using Windows scaling.

Oh, and if the display doesn't have it's own scaler when using DP, then this won't work. But maybe it will work with HDMI. Would you try 1080p over HDMI, if you have a cable, and tell me if the display will do 4:1 mapping then? My guess is since you're using DP, you're relying on the video card to do that scaling and that is why it looks bad. HDMI should do 1080p scaling on it's own.

I went ahead and ordered. From what I've read on other forums, 1080p should look fine on this display as long as it's the display doing the scaling and not the video card. It won't scale in MST, but I believe DP with SST will, and of course HDMI will scale. If anyone can confirm how 1080p gaming looks with the display doing the scaling, I'd appreciate it. I'm currently using a 23-inch 1080p, so I'm hoping that it will look the same. My computer can't handle 4k gaming, and I'm not going to be ready for a new build for a while.

It says my expected delivery date is 3/4. That's over a month! Did it really take that long for anyone to receive it?

I went ahead and ordered.

It says my expected delivery date is 3/4. That's over a month! Did it really take that long for anyone to receive it?

Sorry mate....I didn't quite understand your question before with the 4:1 thing...so my laziness took over and I didn't bother trying.

I pre-ordered mine by about a week say dec 5, and got it...what...week and a bit ago...maybe 2 weeks now...

that is indeed a long wait...thou I wouldn't be surprised if you got it sooner.

Sorry mate....I didn't quite understand your question before with the 4:1 thing...so my laziness took over and I didn't bother trying.

I pre-ordered mine by about a week say dec 5, and got it...what...week and a bit ago...maybe 2 weeks now...

that is indeed a long wait...thou I wouldn't be surprised if you got it sooner.

What I meant by 4:1 is that 2160p is exactly 4 times the resolution of 1080p. So, on a 2160 display, 1080p is scaled by mapping 1 pixel to 4 pixels. Because of this, interpolation isn't needed as it is on other non-native resolutions. Even though 1080p isn't the native resolution, it should look exactly the same as it does on a native 1080p display of the same size. 1080p on a 1080p 24-inch display should look exactly the same as 1080p on a 2160p 24-inch display. That is as long as the display isn't using interpolation when it isn't needed.

I suspect that you tried 1080p with you're video card doing the scaling using interpolation. What I'm curious about is if the display itself will scale without using interpolation. I know that HDMI scales on its own -- that way you can hook up a 1080p source and watch it full screen -- but I'm not sure about DP using SST.

To try it, you'd have to disable scaling in your video card's control panel (or set it to scale in display instead of GPU) and try DP with SST. If DP doesn't have a built-in scaler even when using SST, then you can try HDMI. If after doing that 1080p still looks bad when scaled to full screen, then the display is still doing interpolation when it scales, even though it isn't needed, which would be unfortunate. The appeal of 4k is that it can display 1080p content and look exactly like a native 1080p display of the same size. If that isn't the case with this display, then I'll return it and wait for another to be released.

What I meant by 4:1 is that 2160p is exactly 4 times the resolution of 1080p. So, on a 2160 display, 1080p is scaled by mapping 1 pixel to 4 pixels. Because of this, interpolation isn't needed as it is on other non-native resolutions. Even though 1080p isn't the native resolution, it should look exactly the same as it does on a native 1080p display of the same size. 1080p on a 1080p 24-inch display should look exactly the same as 1080p on a 2160p 24-inch display. That is as long as the display isn't using interpolation when it isn't needed.

I suspect that you tried 1080p with you're video card doing the scaling using interpolation. What I'm curious about is if the display itself will scale without using interpolation. I know that HDMI scales on its own -- that way you can hook up a 1080p source and watch it full screen -- but I'm not sure about DP using SST.

To try it, you'd have to disable scaling in your video card's control panel (or set it to scale in display instead of GPU) and try DP with SST. If DP doesn't have a built-in scaler even when using SST, then you can try HDMI. If after doing that 1080p still looks bad when scaled to full screen, then the display is still doing interpolation when it scales, even though it isn't needed, which would be unfortunate. The appeal of 4k is that it can display 1080p content and look exactly like a native 1080p display of the same size. If that isn't the case with this display, then I'll return it and wait for another to be released.

Okay, I've since solved my display woes and finally received a perfect monitor from Dell. I tried what you had asked through hdmi and 1080p scaling looks as good as, if not better than my native 1080p screen (Asus V242H). Granted my native 1080 screen is TN, but this Dell looks as though there is less space between the pixels, thus decreasing the screen door like appearance when looking at the screens up close. Color reproduction looks great with none of the washing out I read about in earlier posts. I've attached a few pictures that I hope will be helpful.

Okay, I've since solved my display woes and finally received a perfect monitor from Dell. I tried what you had asked through hdmi and 1080p scaling looks as good as, if not better than my native 1080p screen (Asus V242H). Granted my native 1080 screen is TN, but this Dell looks as though there is less space between the pixels, thus decreasing the screen door like appearance when looking at the screens up close. Color reproduction looks great with none of the washing out I read about in earlier posts. I've attached a few pictures that I hope will be helpful.

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel good to know.

I'm coming from the S2340M, so it'll be a huge upgrade in quality for me. I was planning to try a 27-inch 1440p again, as that's what I had previously, but when the 24-inch UHD was announced I changed my mind. I didn't expect something like this to be available for a while.

Hello, I'm new here, and i red almost all this thread, and i'm very curious about the performance of this monitor as a 1080p... carbon12 would you explain me a few thing about this display, like Lava Lamp Freak, i need backward compatibility on my PC for some work program and i need something for gaming aswell...

Could you tell me how you switch between 1080p and 4k resolution ?
What cable do you use ?
How is 1080p gaming ? is it lag free ?

Thanks alot for your time

How did you get it do to 1080p? When I plug in HDMI, it goes to 2160p with 30 Hz.

Ok, I tried it at 1080p on both the HDMI and DP at 1.1 and 1.2.....it looks awesome. what a panel. I swear I'm going to figure out a way to get to use this panel with DP 1.3 and hdmi 2.0 when it comes out.

Back