Just in time to make interdimensional-alien fighting quantum-computing-antigravity-A.I.: ✨Room temperature superconductors✨

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ivity-claims-leave-many-scientists-skeptical/

Researchers say they have discovered a new room-temperature ambient-pressure superconductor, but many scientists are unconvinced

Someone's gonna find El Dorado on Google Maps when looking for a McDonald's next week at this rate 👍

Edit:

1690572364830.png

Last edited:
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/...-lk-99-superconductor-replication-effort.html

The Physics Institute has successfully produced a sample of the LK99 superconductor and replicated its magnetizing qualities. However, the Meissner effect, a key characteristic of superconductors, has yet to be observed. The issue seems to lie in the purity of the superconducting material, which is currently only a few percent. Despite this, the conversation implies optimism, stating, “if we have made a start this problem will be solved quickly.”

UPDATE: There are at least 11 publicly announced or rumored replication efforts. Iris Alexander claims to have replicated and seen some Meissner effect.

I am a retired scientist with a specialty in nano characterization and Analytical Chemistry. I am also a co-author of over a dozen peer reviewed publications.
I have heard claims like this from fusion to graphene. Seeing is believing folks and mass production is another fantasy.

No way. I think we need to follow what AMD, Nvidia, Intel, and even those other little companies out there, like Phison or Micron are actually researching and developing. Where is computing going FOR REAL? Look at the actual data for what's being researched, produced, bought, and sold, and don't bother with nonsense that only looks exciting as a news headline. Try meeting the scientist mentioned in that article, and what, you think he's already written the sourcecode for God and is about to proceed with altering the fabric of reality? No. No, he's actually just selling news headlines instead of a new product. Let me buy one. Then I'll judge its power for myself. Until then, I already buy the most computationally powerful computer hardware available for consumers and so there's no point in exiting the Nvidiasphere.

I am a retired scientist with a specialty in nano characterization and Analytical Chemistry. I am also a co-author of over a dozen peer reviewed publications.
I have heard claims like this from fusion to graphene. Seeing is believing folks and mass production is another fantasy.
I'm nowhere near as qualified as you. But I saw this 'news' on a random clickbaity youtube recommendation belonging to a channel I've never heard of and from that alone (didn't even hover over the thumbnail) I could tell it was BS.

If this was genuine breakthrough territory, smart people would be talking about it, attempting to poke holes, talking about next experimental steps etc.

If this was genuine breakthrough territory, smart people would be talking about it, attempting to poke holes, talking about next experimental steps etc.
They do no ? Long list of people did try, it was a serious team from a very prestigious university.

On the other hand, he says, researchers at Argonne and elsewhere are already trying to replicate the experiment. “People here are taking it seriously and trying to grow this stuff.” Nadya Mason, a condensed matter physicist at the University of Illinois,
I think people in China (https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/...itute has successfully,has yet to be observed.) and for example:
https://twitter.com/andrewmccalip/status/1684433849781202944?s=46&t=nkNF5XvEPFXchpxvubgkQw

It would be such a big deal that even with imperfect data. some fishiness and part of the process not made public that people will try it, I think there is over 10 known public attempt in the world right now

I'm no drutman, but I had one of them cognitive dissonances when they were trying to push it back to the center, and it did a front-flip and stuck to the surface it was placed on. Gave me DIY electromagnetic levitator vibes.
If true, it's right up there with the wheel and gunpowder, so... they might end up hiding it from the world once/if it's proven.

I wanted to let you all know I really appreciate all the forum feedback. Everyone here regardless of education or occupation has meaningful advice and work experience.
However to make a valid scientific claim you must be able to publish and reproduce experiments etc.
As soon as I saw all the social media posting I know something is fishy. The posters claim magnetic properties, a superconductor excludes mag field lines not repel them. (Meissner effect)
l also question the 10% mixture, what about the composition of the other 90%? Lead is on the EPA hitlist as a cumulative toxin, will be outlawed.

From the original article
LK-99, a compound of lead, copper, phosphorus and oxygen, is a superconductor at temperatures above 400 kelvins (260 degrees F) and ambient pressure.

then the next paragraph
they found the electrical resistivity dropping sharply around 378 kelvins (220 degrees F) and then reaching nearly zero around 333 kelvins (140 degrees F).

Those two statements don't make sense together, it's a super conductor when hot... however when it cools down resistance drops?

Either way, other people can do the testing, no sense in getting worked up (one way or another) over an article made for the masses... and proof read by a chimp apparently.

What's the difference between a semi-conductor and a super-conductor?

Those two statements don't make sense together, it's a super conductor when hot... however when it cools down resistance drops?
superconductor at "high" temperature does not have necessarily 0 resistance it is near zero (and it would be normal to go down as temperature drop or pressure is upped), according to wikipedia:
In the class of superconductors known as type II superconductors, including all known high-temperature superconductors, an extremely low but non-zero resistivity appears at temperatures not too far below the nominal superconducting transition when an electric current is applied in conjunction with a strong magnetic field, which may be caused by the electric current.
The resistance due to this effect is minuscule compared with that of non-superconducting materials, but must be taken into account in sensitive experiments.

And from my limited understanding higher than minus a lot celcius is extremelly hot for superconduction let alone the 220F type, nearly 0 at 333K would be the most magic superconductor never made.

140F super conductor is crazy hot. Who knows what all applications this will have. Pretty sure these are brittle materials, so not (likely) usable in high tension power lines. but for static things using a lot of power like meglev trains probably be useful. supercolliders will be cheaper. might help cpu's run at higher clookspeeds thanks to the low resistance, who knows.

But it does sound too good to be true, waiting on the peer reviews.

What's the difference between a semi-conductor and a super-conductor?
The quick and dirty answer is semiconductors are devices that have properties of conductors and insulators based on external factors applied to them, e.g. apply enough voltage and current flows, not enough voltage and current doesnt flow at all, some examples would be transistors, LEDs, or solar cells.

A superconductor is similar to a conductor in that current flows freely but in something like copper there is still a bit of resistance which leads to some level of energy loss especially over long distances, but in super conductors current flows without resistance meaning no energy loss nor the heat associated with it, they also have other properties like being able to expel magnetic field or some crap like that I'm not super well versed on superconductors though to give you the specifics.

As always, the difficulty will be in how to economically synthesize these and integrate them for use. I suspect an army of graduate students will be given projects to simulate any and all kind of possible room temperature superconductors in the coming weeks/years, as well as experimental projects to find ways to reliably synthesize them for testing first, for integration next and for mass production if they end up being viable in real life uses. We still have many many years of research and development ahead of us. Still, this is really cool to witness.

As always, the difficulty will be in how to economically synthesize these and integrate them for use. I suspect an army of graduate students will be given projects to simulate any and all kind of possible room temperature superconductors in the coming weeks/years, as well as experimental projects to find ways to reliably synthesize them for testing first, for integration next and for mass production if they end up being viable in real life uses. We still have many many years of research and development ahead of us. Still, this is really cool to witness.

My Google News feed is all:

- Interdimensional aliens confirmed by the US Government

- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning is booming

- Room temperature, ambient pressure, superconductors are here

Feels like we're currently circling a singularity sometimes this past year 😁

holdon-toyourbutts.gif

And from my limited understanding higher than minus a lot celcius is extremelly hot for superconduction let alone the 220F type, nearly 0 at 333K would be the most magic superconductor never made.
Yeah, as I mentioned above I'm not well versed on superconductors, but I thought the highest temperature ones still operated at temperatures colder than a witches tit (picked that one up from my mom...), but not actual "room temperature", where as this (if true) seems like they would be superconductive even in places like Death Valley, which really sets off the bullshitometer alarms.

but not actual "room temperature",
They are usually super cold, the hot one of the past were still quite cold and more importantly at incredibly high pressure, like this one can run hot (say -40, -20C) but under 400 atmosphere of pressure.

Before you jump to any conclusions check this out. This is not superconductivity folks.

They are usually super cold, the hot one of the past were still quite cold and more importantly at incredibly high pressure, like this one can run hot (say -40, -20C) but under 400 atmosphere of pressure.
Which is 400 atm times 15 psi = 6000 psi

First claimed successful replication of LK-99

https://twitter.com/Andercot/status/1686286684424691712?s=20

1690996806523.png

Source Video:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV14p4y1V7kS/?spm_id_from=888.80997.embed_other.whitelist

Under the guidance of Professor Chang Haixin, postdoctoral Wu Hao and doctoral student Yang Li of the School of Materials Science and Technology of Huazhong University of Science and Technology successfully verified and synthesized the LK-99 crystal that can be magnetically levitated for the first time. Larger, it is expected to realize the true sense of non-contact superconducting magnetic levitation.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but if there was such a ground breaking discovery such as a hotter than room temperature superconductor then every major scientific institution on the planet would be running tests to see if it's legit or not, and this isn't a slight on Huazhong University either. But this discovery was made in 2020, and sure there were some pandemic issues here and there, but I mean come on this would be one of those major ground breaking discoveries of the century type of things, even if the usage/production of the substance isn't practical.

Maybe it's just me but if there was such a ground breaking discovery such as a hotter than room temperature superconductor then every major scientific institution on the planet would be running tests to see if it's legit or not, and this isn't a slight on Huazhong University either. But this discovery was made in 2020, and sure there were some pandemic issues here and there, but I mean come on this would be one of those major ground breaking discoveries of the century type of things, even if the usage/production of the substance isn't practical.

Berkey Nat. Simulated it, you can bet Fed will do practical next

This isn't Instagram, calm down have patience. You're not gonna have this tech in your hands by next week.

If it's even true. But impatience is a bad dismissiveness.

Maybe it's just me but if there was such a ground breaking discovery such as a hotter than room temperature superconductor then every major scientific institution on the planet would be running tests to see if it's legit or not,
Is there a sign they are not a long list of them doing so ? (private one as well that would not make their result necessarily public)

Look I know this isn't Instagram, I'm just saying for a discovery that was done in 2020, and papers actually published earlier this year (rejected in 2020 too for context) just seems the world is slow on the go for this. Translation: I'm much more skeptical about this than hopeful

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/08/explainer-thread-on-lk99-room-temperature-superconductors.html

Explainer Thread on LK99 Room Temperature Superconductors​

August 3, 2023 by Brian Wang
Twitter user @fodagut has an explainer tweet thread on LK99.
@fodagut says
LK-99 is quite likely a room-temperature superconductor, or if not it points the way towards building one. But LK-99 is not going to be as easy to synthesize as you have been told, and it’s going to be a long, long way to viable applications. Unless we cheat…
For Superconductivity you need a single delocalized electron state with a sufficiently large band gap separating the higher energy states that thermal motion alone is insufficient to move the electron between them. We can do this for low temp or high pressure.
Lead-apatite is not a metal, but rather a mineralized bundle of wires, each of which are exactly one atom wide. It is more like bone or rock.

The Nobel-worthy contribution from Lee and Kim: apatite as a mineral confines its metal atoms (calcium in bone, lead and copper in LK-99) to be in a linear chain, so it does not have the blowup of electron states that a 3D crystal structure would have.
By replacing every 8th lead atom with copper (a highly strained and unnatural configuration), the few electron states remaining become separated by high energy gaps. There exists just one delocalized electron state that electrons freely conduct through.
By substituting copper atoms for lead in specific locations, Lee and Kim strained the metallic bonds to separate these electron states (requiring higher energies to enter), and purportedly got the gap so wide that thermal motion at room temperature is insufficient to jump the gap.
Such a material would conduct electrons in a single direction along that mineralized conductive wire, without any resistive losses. A room temperature, ambient pressure superconductor.

More in the link

Reactions: Axman
like this
l also question the 10% mixture, what about the composition of the other 90%? Lead is on the EPA hitlist as a cumulative toxin, will be outlawed.
Lead? If this is true, what can it practically be used for? Will California finally finish their bullet train or will they have to post a giant "Prop 65" stop sign at the end of the line!

It would also seem logical that other non-toxic, room temperature materials might have similar potential. Indium? Gallium? They're also generally classified together in the periodic table. What do the experts think?

If this is true, what can it practically be used for?
I would imagine the risk-cost control would be worth it for quantum computer, battery centre near solar panel farm or electric car, super cloud computing, your current regular car battery is full of lead, or simple diving belt.

Apparently they never wanted it to go public, one went rogue fearing to be excluded and published in a rush to have his name among the top 3 linked to the material to be in list for the Nobel.

I am concerned that none of the top tier journals are publishing results, the latest Chinese lab results were fraudulent and taken down. "Under the guidance of Professor Chang Haixin, postdoctoral Wu Hao and doctoral student Yang Li of the School of Materials Science and Technology of Huazhong University of Science and Technology successfully verified and synthesized the LK-99 crystal that can be magnetically levitated for the first time. Larger, it is expected to realize the true sense of non-contact superconducting magnetic levitation." faked results.

The material appears to be a diamagnetic semiconductor. All of our electrospinning polymer characterization research took months to verify and publish. The problem is that they claim it is a BCS superconductor and Cooper pairs do not exist at room temperature. A frog levitating or a spinning magnetic toy top is not the Meissner effect.

Last edited:
Lead? If this is true, what can it practically be used for? Will California finally finish their bullet train or will they have to post a giant "Prop 65" stop sign at the end of the line!
Not like the high speed rail needs super conductors, it's simply an electric train not a maglev or anything.

That said, there is a prop 65 warning sign in Disneyland's shopping district, I found that funny to see that there. "This may cause cancer" :D

The latest paper from China where a polished L 99 disk is levitating and the results were fabricated.

Are you sure too that it is not one of the Billibill videos and not the one of the paper ?

There was at least 3 different Chinese group with videos

Yeah from my understanding the Billi Billi video one I posted above was the fake one? Said they did it for attention. Let's see what's the scheduled announcement from the original team is what I'm waiting for next.

Yeah from my understanding the Billi Billi video one I posted above was the fake one? Said they did it for attention. Let's see what's the scheduled announcement from the original team is what I'm waiting for next.
The original team could annoucement could be quite strange, like their paper was because of the internal faction-battle for the ownership of this, L and K are working on this since 1999 and could be trying to protect it from others that want to be in that arrived in recent years.

The original team could annoucement could be quite strange, like their paper was because of the internal faction-battle for the ownership of this, L and K are working on this since 1999 and could be trying to protect it from others that want to be in that arrived in recent years.

Yeah which is why also like I said earlier - Berkeley National Lab simulated it and the simulation came out in support of superconductivity being possibly achieved - them/the government isn't going to just leave it there or ignore that, if they haven't already they'll move onto practical experimentation too to see if they can physically replicate it

It's a waiting game right now

Back