Just got off the phone with Shuttle - P series Chassis

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, thought I'd pass this along.

I just spoke to shuttle rep in reference to the new P series chassis. Apparently its not available yet, but will be very soon. I also asked if they planned to offer it with a 875P chipset mobo, or something else that I could use a Northwood Intel proc in. Sadly, they do not. They are only offering the 915 chipset (maybe the 925 soon) for the prescott processor. I have a 3.0 northwood from my current setup that I plan to put into a shuttle to create a linux box, incase you're wondering why I would like to reuse an older proc and chipset.

So I asked him if I could buy another shuttle mobo, like the 875P that comes in their top of the line models currently, and install it into the P chassis. Expectedly he reports this is not possible. Is this just marketing bullshit, or is the formfactor of each shuttle mobo really that different?

If it works, I would be happy to trade anyone the 915 mobo for an 875P shuttle mobo or the cash to purchase one.

The P chassis has been designed to accomidate Shuttles version of the BTX format and it is indeed true that you cannot put Shuttles 875 solution in this box. I believe both SFFTECH and TechReport had pics of the internals, and both the design of the CPU and cooler in the front of the chassis, along with no room in the rear for an exhaust fan (different form factor power supply running along the back) would make this all but impossible. Doesn't mean you couldn't modify the hell out of it to get it to bend to your will, but still this isn't going to be a pnp affair.

Regards,

-E

Argh. Damn it. So I guess if I intend to use my old proc I should stick to the existing shuttle designs?

I'm thinking of the Limited Ed Soldam 875P w/250 SilentX power supply. Do you think this will provide sufficient power for a 9800 pro, DVD burner, and SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS?

Also, would it be a better idea to just sell my old parts when the time comes instead? It doesn't seem like if I go the Soldam route I'll have much upgradability in the future...

im running an sb75g2 right now (same mobo as soldam) with an x800xt, 3.0c etc. etc.. so you wont have any problems,

MrE said:
The P chassis has been designed to accomidate Shuttles version of the BTX format
I was under the impression that Shuttle used proprietary formats...

They do, he just means Shuttle borrowed some concepts from BTX, namely cooling zones.

The thing about the P series chassis is that it really is a completely different design. It's not like going from a G to a G2 where pretty much the only thing that changed was the front of the case. In the P case, there is no room for a normal ICE as the PSU is there, the holes for PCI slots are on the opposite, etc. Big changes. The Soldam box should be very nice.

Ahhh....thanks. I didn't know shuttle used proprietary form factors.... I thought it has been a microATX.

Do you think it would be a waste of money purchasing a shuttle now for use with my old stuff? Maybe I should just try to sell some of my old equipment when the time comes and try to recoup some cash? It seems to me I'll never be able to upgrade...and with all the new designs coming out...

Back