Just got my first TKL Keyboard

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Not going back to anything else I picked up X2 Logitech League of Legends Keyboard they are really nice only 59.00 a piece plus got 5.00 off with Microsoft Rewards. Was going to get the Matching mouse but I rather stick to my current Razer Deathadder Mini. I use my PC Desk for drawing on ocassion as well it was a pain in the butt moving any other type of keyboard to the right side but now I have extra mousepad space to boot. Desk is only 35" wide. but about 30" inches deep which really is a Drafting Table not a PC Desk.

Yeah I have been using TKL basically only since 2015~ I guess...I find the TKL layout to be the best for me, Full sized keyboards take up to much space but anything smaller than TKL is too small I think. These are my Two TKL boards

currently using this ARCHISS Quattro TKL (with track-point) (cherry MX-Brown (dye sub PBT low profile keycaps)
archiss_5.jpg

And my 1st TKL Filco MT2 TKL (w/ Vortex PBT Keycaps) MX-Red
filcoTKL_2.jpg

Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion w/PBT doubleshot caps. I can't stand full-size keyboards.

775738_PXL_20220430_202223710.jpg

When I need a key pad...

776035_PXL_20221207_184746896.jpg

I still think it's dumb af, your desk obviously has plenty of room for an integrated pad but you purposefully neutered the efficiency of your previous setup.

I still think it's dumb af, your desk obviously has plenty of room for an integrated pad but you purposefully neutered the efficiency of your previous setup.

For gaming ergonomics it makes sense to use a tenkeyless.

Ideally your arms should stick straight ahead, in line with your shoulders. If you have a full size keyboard, left hand on ASDF and right hand on mouse, this means the left side of your mouse is basically touching the numpad on your keyboard. So to compensate you need to angle your arms outward to spread your keyboard and mouse apart which puts extra strain and fatigue on your body.

For the best possible ergonomics you would have just the left side of a split keyboard or a gaming keypad, but whenever you have to type something that kind of sucks.

You could get the benefits of better mouse ergonomics while still having a full sized keyboard if they put the numpad, arrow keys, etc. on the left side of the keyboard instead of the right.

That's why I use a tenkeyless despite having a 6 foot long desk. I can type using the numbers without the numpad pretty fast. Faster than most people can with one, so I personally haven't even bothered getting a numpad.

Ideally your arms should stick straight ahead, in line with your shoulders. If you have a full size keyboard, left hand on ASDF and right hand on mouse, this means the left side of your mouse is basically touching the numpad on your keyboard. So to compensate you need to angle your arms outward to spread your keyboard and mouse apart which puts extra strain and fatigue on your body.

For the best possible ergonomics you would have just the left side of a split keyboard or a gaming keypad, but whenever you have to type something that kind of sucks.

You could get the benefits of better mouse ergonomics while still having a full sized keyboard if they put the numpad, arrow keys, etc. on the left side of the keyboard instead of the right.

That's why I use a tenkeyless despite having a 6 foot long desk. I can type using the numbers without the numpad pretty fast. Faster than most people can with one, so I personally haven't even bothered getting a numpad.
I failed to think about smaller people, I am a very broad shouldered person so I enjoy fullsize board and a 24 x 18 mousepad.

Or you could left mouse (one of the pictures shows a left mouse/trackball). Although wasd with the right hand is weird. And if you use the numeric keypad or something, then you're back to the keyboard is too wide.

Or you could left mouse (one of the pictures shows a left mouse/trackball). Although wasd with the right hand is weird. And if you use the numeric keypad or something, then you're back to the keyboard is too wide.
The left handed Trackball is mine.. and it is because I am left handed... having tried it over the years... I honestly can't wrap my brain around gaming with the left handed mouse set up... probably due to years and years of using right handed set ups because of not really having a choice (or thinking about it)... I just didn't think about it as a kid and just used the pc the same way right handed people would...

For certain work things and web browsing ...and whatever I do like to use the left handed trackball option..

It is hard to say how things would have worked out if I had started out using pc's with a left-handed mouse setup...

I failed to think about smaller people, I am a very broad shouldered person so I enjoy fullsize board and a 24 x 18 mousepad.
I have had issues with RSI and a shoulder issue and I am pretty big 6'3" and quite broad shoulders... a fullsize keyboard aggravates my my shoulder and increases wrist strain when gaming... Before switching to TKL I had almost stopped gaming because it was causing me a lot of pain / discomfort... in my case I rarely need a numpad and just greatly prefer the smaller tkl board and reduced distance to mouse.

The left handed Trackball is mine.. and it is because I am left handed... having tried it over the years... I honestly can't wrap my brain around gaming with the left handed mouse set up... probably due to years and years of using right handed set ups because of not really having a choice (or thinking about it)... I just didn't think about it as a kid and just used the pc the same way right handed people would...

For certain work things and web browsing ...and whatever I do like to use the left handed trackball option..

It is hard to say how things would have worked out if I had started out using pc's with a left-handed mouse setup...

I have had issues with RSI and a shoulder issue and I am pretty big 6'3" and quite broad shoulders... a fullsize keyboard aggravates my my shoulder and increases wrist strain when gaming... Before switching to TKL I had almost stopped gaming because it was causing me a lot of pain / discomfort... in my case I rarely need a numpad and just greatly prefer the smaller tkl board and reduced distance to mouse.
Can you buy suits that fit or do you have to have them tailored? I've had to have tailored suits for my shoulders since I was 12.

I use the numpad a lot so using TKL and separate numpad would be a pain to move when I game. Right now I just lift the keyboard up bit and move it under my monitor when I want to game.

IMG_3310.JPEG

Yeah I have been using TKL basically only since 2015~ I guess...I find the TKL layout to be the best for me, Full sized keyboards take up to much space but anything smaller than TKL is too small I think. These are my Two TKL boards

currently using this ARCHISS Quattro TKL (with track-point) (cherry MX-Brown (dye sub PBT low profile keycaps)
View attachment 533100
Where did you find that TKL with an integrated trackpoint?!? That's pretty awesome! And is that an Elecom trackball to the left of it?

Smaller people? Even for a very broard shouldered person it's not enough space. I'm 6'2", shoulder to shoulder is about 20". A full sized keyboard is about 20". That's 0" of mouse space. The left side the mouse is touching the keyboard if in the ideal ergonomic position. You would have to be a fucking giant to have ideal ergonomics with a full sized keyboard.

A tenkeyless keyboard is about 14". That's 6" of mouse space to the left.

Also range of motion on a forearm is much better going inward than outward. You can easily rotate all the way inward touching your stomach or chest, but the arm does not rotate nearly as far outward. The closer you get to the limits of your range of motion the more strain you're putting on your body.

Last edited:
I picked up a open box Razer , thinking about a 2nd one to replace my full size Keyboard

Attachments

• D5D5FC17-67B8-40D4-AD25-CDF83921DDEA.jpeg
    D5D5FC17-67B8-40D4-AD25-CDF83921DDEA.jpeg
    865.4 KB · Views: 0
Where did you find that TKL with an integrated trackpoint?!? That's pretty awesome! And is that an Elecom trackball to the left of it?

I bought the Archiss TKL (w/ trackpoint) from Amazon Japan.. it was about $130 (ish~ i do not remember) ... and yeah that is indeed the Elecom lefthanded trackball left of it.

I bought the Archiss TKL (w/ trackpoint) from Amazon Japan.. it was about $130 (ish~ i do not remember) ... and yeah that is indeed the Elecom lefthanded trackball left of it.
Very cool. I have one of the original IBM Model Ms with a trackpoint, but didn't know anyone else made a trackpoint keyboard that was mech. :) Love the Elecom! I have one too, but with the black/gray ball. (y)

Back