Just got my 8800GT

vage

2[H]4U
So I just got my eVGA 8800GT Superclocked edition. This thing is amazing, I haven't owned a PC in over 2 years and I'm just amazed by what has changed in such a little time. Anyways, I always see on here that I should register with eVGA or something? Is there something I should just do on the website or should I mail in the forms that they sent me with the card? Also, why should I register with eVGA?

registering with evga activates your life time warrenty and eligibility in the step-up program

o0o0o0o that sounds like something I would be interested in. What exactly is the step-up program? Is it like if I bought this card, then next week something that destroys it comes out for the same price I can trade it in?

o0o0o0o that sounds like something I would be interested in. What exactly is the step-up program? Is it like if I bought this card, then next week something that destroys it comes out for the same price I can trade it in?

Exactly. You can trade your card in and get the current MSRP (of your existing card), which is put toward your new card.

I believe the EVGA step-up offer is good for 90 days from the date of purchase.

Yes, definitely register using their website. They even allow you to upload a copy of your receipt to your personal profile - helpful for the step-up and in case of an RMA...Although I'd still keep a copy just in case they change the site again and it 'disappears'.

re: stepup..yes pretty much. A few things to note.

1) It's good for 90 days after purchase. If the new 8800GTS/G92 comes out before then and you want to upgrade you can.

2) Cost is THEIR MSRP (NOT what the retailer you bought from charges) MINUS the FULL amount you paid + any shipping costs. Possible taxes, if in CA, although they didn't charge me when I went 7800 -> 7900...Could have gone to a higher model card back then.

3) Only guaranteed the opportunity to step-up to an "EGS" model - ie: NOT stock overclock, only reference speed model. they *might* release a model up if there's enough in stock, but DON'T count on it. Besides, many stock clock models can overclock to near top end speeds anyway.

4) EVGAs warranty is only lifetime if you register within 30 days I think, otherwise ONLY 1 YEAR.

5) At time of registration, they now have an Advanced RMA program where you can pay a bit up front, for cross-shipping purposes in event of an RMA. Differing levels for more coverage. You can compare this to extended car warranties for example.

6) If you decide to step-up, you wait in a queue. You get to KEEP your card while in it, and you do not send in the card or pay a dime until your time is up (a plus). AFAIK they DON'T do cross-shipping for step-up's, Advance RMA enrollment or not (might be wrong though). You will have to fill out some forms, and give them credit card info at that time as well. Once you send in the old card they will test it, make sure it still works, then ship the new one - usually takes 2-3 days + the UPS shipping time/level you choose of course. For mine I got it in 3 days, but I live in So Cal, so that's expected for in-state UPS ground.

7) EVGA DOES allow overclocking and cooler/HSF swaps without invalidating the warranty. But you MUST keep the old cooler & assorted screws/springs/etc, in case of step-up or RMA, and MUST put it back on before shipment.

...Think I pretty much covered it all. If not, someone else will come along and add to it. Still using my 7900GT, but hope to join the G92 bandwagon soon once stocks level out a bit -- may just bite on the $300 SC w/ Crysis SKU though...Decisions, decisions ;).

7) EVGA DOES allow overclocking and cooler/HSF swaps without invalidating the warranty. But you MUST keep the old cooler & assorted screws/springs/etc, in case of step-up or RMA, and MUST put it back on before shipment.

sweet, i did not know that. i have a evga 8800gt coming soon and on my current 7800gt i have the vf900 installed. i wasnt sure if i was going to swap it over but now i will.

Yes, definitely register using their website. They even allow you to upload a copy of your receipt to your personal profile - helpful for the step-up and in case of an RMA...Although I'd still keep a copy just in case they change the site again and it 'disappears'.

re: stepup..yes pretty much. A few things to note.

1) It's good for 90 days after purchase. If the new 8800GTS/G92 comes out before then and you want to upgrade you can.

2) Cost is THEIR MSRP (NOT what the retailer you bought from charges) MINUS the FULL amount you paid + any shipping costs. Possible taxes, if in CA, although they didn't charge me when I went 7800 -> 7900...Could have gone to a higher model card back then.

3) Only guaranteed the opportunity to step-up to an "EGS" model - ie: NOT stock overclock, only reference speed model. they *might* release a model up if there's enough in stock, but DON'T count on it. Besides, many stock clock models can overclock to near top end speeds anyway.

4) EVGAs warranty is only lifetime if you register within 30 days I think, otherwise ONLY 1 YEAR.

5) At time of registration, they now have an Advanced RMA program where you can pay a bit up front, for cross-shipping purposes in event of an RMA. Differing levels for more coverage. You can compare this to extended car warranties for example.

6) If you decide to step-up, you wait in a queue. You get to KEEP your card while in it, and you do not send in the card or pay a dime until your time is up (a plus). AFAIK they DON'T do cross-shipping for step-up's, Advance RMA enrollment or not (might be wrong though). You will have to fill out some forms, and give them credit card info at that time as well. Once you send in the old card they will test it, make sure it still works, then ship the new one - usually takes 2-3 days + the UPS shipping time/level you choose of course. For mine I got it in 3 days, but I live in So Cal, so that's expected for in-state UPS ground.

...Think I pretty much covered it all. If not, someone else will come along and add to it. Still using my 7900GT, but hope to join the G92 bandwagon soon once stocks level out a bit -- may just bite on the $300 SC w/ Crysis SKU though...Decisions, decisions ;).

Sorry to sort of thread hijack but do you know what happens with the returns? Is there much cheapness to be had somewhere or is it showered, shaved, slapped lipstick on and a slap on the ass later back out there *as new* for *as new* money?

Back