Just got a new Seasonic M12-D 850w...have a concern, halp.

haste

Supreme [H]ardness
right it out of the package and i notice something loose inside...seems like a piece of plastic with some glue on it? maybe to keep certain components from touching?

main question is, should i be concerned? i was able to pull the loose piece out by removing the fan grill.

pics:

seasonic2.jpg

seasonic.jpg

Looks like a piece of the baffle meant to redirect the airflow from the fan through the components. It's probably not much of a problem.

Looks like a piece of the baffle meant to redirect the airflow from the fan through the components. It's probably not much of a problem.

thanks for the reply. i went ahead and hooked it up. unfortunately, the psu has a terrible whine/squeal when its plugged in with the toggle switch in the on position. it also makes the noise while the computer is turned on. it seems to work well, but the noise is heard both by my girlfriend and i. :( hopefully amazon returns are painless...gonna go ahead and get another and hope its not messed up like this one.

ummm, wow. got my replacement psu from amazon and it makes the same high pitch whining noise! i guess this noise is just characteristic of these PSUs? anyone else here with one of these noticed a high pitched noise?

the reviews i read said it was very quiet....ugh.

just changed the plug from the "Battery Back-up" section of my UPS to the "Surge Protection" area and the noise is now gone...great. at least i figured out where the whine was coming from, but now i wont be able to have it on a UPS. :(

thanks for the help!

just changed the plug from the "Battery Back-up" section of my UPS to the "Surge Protection" area and the noise is now gone...great. at least i figured out where the whine was coming from, but now i wont be able to have it on a UPS. :(

Is your UPS a sine wave unit? I've got my S12D 850W (which I understand is the exact as the M12D but without the modular part) plugged into my APC Smart-UPS 750VA which outputs a sine wave and there is no humming at all. In fact, it makes almost no noise... I removed the wire grill and stopped the fan, and with just my WD Caviar Black I don't even know the PSU has a fan!

Is your UPS a sine wave unit? I've got my S12D 850W (which I understand is the exact as the M12D but without the modular part) plugged into my APC Smart-UPS 750VA which outputs a sine wave and there is no humming at all. In fact, it makes almost no noise... I removed the wire grill and stopped the fan, and with just my WD Caviar Black I don't even know the PSU has a fan!
Whether a UPS is a true sine wave or simulated/stepped sine wave unit only makes a difference when it's running on battery power.

Whether a UPS is a true sine wave or simulated/stepped sine wave unit only makes a difference when it's running on battery power.

Didn't know that. I guess the problem would be the quality of his UPS then. What model is it, OP?

i dont think its true i think it filters electricity at all times unless its garbage

this is the one i have:

http://www.justechn.com/2006/10/21/belkin-universal-ups-1100va

ive never replaced the battery...would a bad battery cause it? or does the sine wave output of this UPS mess with the seasonic?

the unit itself is around 4 yrs old. specifications say battery life is normally 2-4 yrs.

edit: oops, i have the 1200va, but i believe its basically the same except 670w output.

soooo, after running from the surge protected side on a completely different ups for the past two weeks, i decided this morning to plug my computer back into the other UPS that was causing my seasonic PSU to whine. the whine is completely gone now? wtf. ive only had the computer on for about 45 minutes now plugged into the UPS, but i hear no high pitched noise. any explanations?

Back