Just got a Blackjack II, what should I know?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
This is my first smart phone ever, so its a bit of an upgrade from my 3 year old razr :p . So far its pretty sweet. What should I know about it? I've also read about windows 6 being very very customizable so how would I go about this? Any information you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Well sorry I forgot to mention that. I did already know about that site. I was just wondering if there was any other good resources besides that.

There are tons of pocket pc freeware sites. The XDA dev forums are also a good place. Even if you don't have an HTC phone, most of the content on there will work for any winmo phone (roms excluded).

There are tons of pocket pc freeware sites. The XDA dev forums are also a good place. Even if you don't have an HTC phone, most of the content on there will work for any winmo phone (roms excluded).

My friend has the blackjack. He showed me that you can put pocketnester a nes and snes emulator on it.

It should work for you. He found it on the blackjack forum mentioned above. I wanted it on my phone but couldnt get it because i have symbian.

Im on my 2nd Blackjack II and won't be buying another one (Or any Samsung product... but that has nothing to do with their phones)

Be very wary of any application that relies heavily on the little circular (enter) button. This button has died on two consecutive phones now, and I dont use my phone very much. Also my backlight went after 3 months of use.

By default the backlight is setup to turn off after 30 seconds. I highly recommend changing it to 10 seconds. You wont notice the difference and you'll thank me later

The only thing you need to know is that your phone carrier has a 30 day return policy.

My wife is on her 3rd BlackJack 2 1st, 2nd and 3rd had constant internet connection problems, it would always give us a 404 error message. 2nd device would constantly freeze and she would constantly have to pull the battery. The 3rd device has all the symptoms of the 1st 2 devices.
I've checked out all the BlackJack forums including Howard with no success. We even took the phone to our ATT tech center in one of our stores to see if they could load up 6.1 on her device and the tech sighed and asked his lead tech if he wanted to add another BJ2 to his list of problems.
Camera takes almost 4 seconds to snap a pic after the button was pushed, IQ of pics looks like crap, web page quality looks horrible, 3G on that phone is a joke....i can load up the same web page on my Blackberry Curve with Opera Mini faster than her 3g enabled phone. She loads movies on her phone to keep our 7 year old entertained when he's in the car but the movies stutters and always out of sync but the same movie file plays without a problem on my phone.
In honesty, there are better smart phones out there than Samsung. I'm not saying to avoid WM phones, just that the BlackJack2 is junk compared to other smart phones on the market.

What killed the BJ for me is att crippling it with no wifi, nice way of them forcing you to use their data network and racking up huge bills instead of using wifi which is just about everywhere. I went with the att tilt instead, it's not nearly as slim as the BJ but it has the features I want and so far it's been pretty solid.

My wife originally wanted the tilt but it was out of our price range. She's comtemplating on tacking another 2 year contract to get the tilt or the Bold. You get what you pay for so true in this case.

My wife originally wanted the tilt but it was out of our price range. She's comtemplating on tacking another 2 year contract to get the tilt or the Bold. You get what you pay for so true in this case.

Tilts are becoming fairly easy to find used, especially with newer phones coming out. I found mine on craigslist for fairly cheap. I'd try that before committing to another two year contract, unless your absolutely certain you won't want to switch carriers.

What killed the BJ for me is att crippling it with no wifi, nice way of them forcing you to use their data network and racking up huge bills instead of using wifi which is just about everywhere. I went with the att tilt instead, it's not nearly as slim as the BJ but it has the features I want and so far it's been pretty solid.

I never understood this. Isn't every data plan unlimited nowadays? Or are you saying you don't have a data plan?

no data plan and he uses his WIFI at home so we can get internet on his phone for free.

Doesn't the defeat the purpose of the smartphone? Why can't you just go on your computer while you're at home? I don't know about you, but I'd choose my PC over my phone for browsing any day of the week.

Not me, I've been browsing on my Curve for months now without the need to use my home pc other than for gaming. It started when my wife would hog up the pc for hours playing Sims or making a playlist of songs for her phone so I started using my phone instead. It wasn't until I downloaded opera mini 4.2 that my browsing experience on the Curve was pleasurable. Everything that I see on my phone is how I would see it on my monitor. I could be laying on the couch browsing [H] and walk outside to smoke and type this response. After this, I can listen to music while I finish up my cigarette. I just love the convenience factor.

The only time I would use my pc over my phone is if I need to download a big file of any sort.

Not me, I've been browsing on my Curve for months now without the need to use my home pc other than for gaming. It started when my wife would hog up the pc for hours playing Sims or making a playlist of songs for her phone so I started using my phone instead. It wasn't until I downloaded opera mini 4.2 that my browsing experience on the Curve was pleasurable. Everything that I see on my phone is how I would see it on my monitor. I could be laying on the couch browsing [H] and walk outside to smoke and type this response. After this, I can listen to music while I finish up my cigarette. I just love the convenience factor.

The only time I would use my pc over my phone is if I need to download a big file of any sort.

Interesting. See the phone is just too slow for me. Opera Mini is clunky, the EDGE network is slow(although if you have wifi obviously this isn't a problem), and the screen is tiny. I don't have enough time in the day to be screwing around trying to view web pages on my phone when I don't have to. My opinion might change on this if I get a Bold, but we'll see.

Back