Just found and threw away an OCZ Goldfinger

man did that bring back some memories

and man did the OCZ Goldfinger suck when I had it.

I had it on a 500... it had been modified with warranty by some company (can't remember the name) and was clocked at 650
with a real goldfinger (with the power connector) it could do 750 but it was very unstable with the OCZ goldfinger

ah the good ol' days

after i chunked it i realized i should have taken a photo or something

I still have my slot A 750, with OCZ GFD and Alpha P7125 Heatsink. I Remember a review of that heatsink saying that if it did not cool your cpu it was heavy enough to kill the sales man that sold it to you. lol I loved those days :D I will see if I can not dig this stuff out of storage and take a picture

Haha.. I had one of those alpha coolers. Remember the super loud fans that were on them... dual
60mm Deltas..

My current Slot-A system has a 4-heatpipe low profile Opteron heatsink on it - modded a bit of course to mount to the heatspreader. It is just the right size to clear all 3 memory slots on the motherboard

It barely gets warm at 1015Mhz. And it is super quiet.

As for the GoldFinger devices... never felt it was worth the money to buy one. I always took the move the tiny surface mount jumpers by soldering method.

As for the GoldFinger devices... never felt it was worth the money to buy one. I always took the move the tiny surface mount jumpers by soldering method.

If you didn't get the GFDs with the power connectors, you could have been in for a crapshoot.

The Athlon I bought had a HSF on front and back, stuck on with some ceramic looking thermal epoxy stuff, so I couldn't get to the SMD stuff. :(
I was pretty broke at the time so I couldn't afford another Athlon, had to get the GFD to OC.

Christ, I remember back in the day running those Delta fans was the norm for overclocking. No way could I take that level of noise now. Harrowing times! :eek:

Christ, I remember back in the day running those Delta fans was the norm for overclocking. No way could I take that level of noise now. Harrowing times! :eek:

I once stuck my finger in the Delta 60mm weedeater fan that was cooling my T-bird [email protected] (I was the first on Anandtech to break 1.3Ghz!) by accident. It cut me worse then any papercut I've ever had! It's hard to believe that my $20 Sythe fans aren't 1/10th as loud but move twice as much air..I am a silence freak now lol..

Man, those alpha coolers had the cheapest designs, they just took a bunch of bolts and screwed them into a base to create surface area.

^^ You might be thinking of the Swiftech designs... the Alphas were just extruded pins and fins, comrade.

Back