Just finished FEAR. some thoughts (single player only)

I never beat FEAR.

I got Battlefield 2 and played that religiously for 2.5 months. Then I bough Oblivion and haven't stopped playing that. I'll get to FEAR eventually, but like Resurrection of Evil for Doom 3 it's just not high on my list.

FEAR is goooood. Just beat it. I think it looks alot better (even though its indoors) than Oblivion in terms of sharpness and lighting.

I found Fear to be a solid game. It has some of the best fire fights I have ever enjoyed. Another vote for it's brilliant AI. Standard FPS tactics will get you buttslammed in this one. Excellent creepiness factor and kept it coming throughout most of the game, no mean feat there. Much better than the contrived and canned "thrills" of Doom3. Felt HL2 had zero creepiness as opposed to the original, I still remember with great fondness my slow apprehensive push into the office complex. Fear would have been very well served by a little more variety of environment, and that is one of my bitches. The other being lack of replayability. (Which is a problem with most "creepy" style games) I give it a high 8 maybe even a low 9.

I played the demo and loved the combat. The graphics and AI clearly contributed to the satisfaction of that.
However if I can expect the majority of the remainder of the game to be similar office style combat; I wont be buying and playing the full version. Some one tell me its worth it? Discount the multi-player.

There are basically four sections in the game: a water treatment plant, an office building (the longest part), a ghetto, and an underground lab. So no, there's not much environmental variety. But i still think the combat, AI, and story make up for it.

I loved the demo but literally played only 15 minutes into the game before giving up it was that harsh on my rig.. so I'll re-visit it after I upgrade and have a system that can actually handle the game :p

the game is awesome, i would definitely play it. Just save yourself time or else you will be skpiing work and school to finish it.

Yea fear is awesome. I have not finished it yet but will soon!!! im lookin forward to the expension...

Loved the nailgun, gives a new meaning to the word 'pinhead' :D

Running away while shooting behind them onehanded, awesome!

Even more amazing is the way they use their environments. True, barricading bookcases and such are still somewhat scripted, but thinking you've got them cornered only to find out they've jumped out the window and got behind you instead, effectively cornering you. Priceless! :D

This is the first game i'm actually afraid of grenades. They're the best grenade users i've seen in an AI so far.

It's also cool the way you can throw a grenade and shoot it just when it passes their heads. Very effective if they have lots of cover so you can atleast damage them from above.

When's the expansion coming out?

As for the scariness factor, it's only scary on the first run. The second run through isn't anywhere as much as the first, much of it is too scripted. Doom3 on the other hand, the scary part isn't in the backstory, it's in the opponents you're fighting. I've played it several times through and it still makes my hair stand on end.

Back