Just finished FEAR. some thoughts (single player only)

HRslammR

2[H]4U
neat game, some thoughts i had while playing it over the course of 2-3 days.

-90% of the maps are the same office style look. (people gave doom3 insane amounts of flack for this reason)
-99% of those 90% are all linear, i just ran around killin things till i'd find a door or make my way to the next area.
-i liked the stats buffs ya get every so often.
-bullet time is still fun
-the "scary" parts seemed to be predictable, oh noes the lights be flickering, wtf is going to happen!
-story, while intriguing seemed lacking. the "bad guy" didn't seem very "bad guy"ish. just a weirdo who i was told to shoot. the "head of this mega corp" is uh, nowhere to be found.
-when i was outside(in particular on roofs, etc), immedietely lost any atmosphere when i'd look out and see lots of darkness with some poorly sized buildings. prolly the reason why most of it is "indoors"
-the AI was definitely much better than many of the other games out there. definitely much better.
-finally, a game where there's blood, guts, bullets, heads being blown off, and they FINALLY spit out some F-bombs.
-the ending uh... was a little weak. neat, but not OMG HELL YES like say, Far Cry was.
-i was pretty godly the whole time (2nd hardest difficulty setting) only a couple times did i ever go "man there's just no way i'm gonna be able to survive that without some skillzorz" just pop bullet-time and aim for the head. although "my mom" was pretty wicked, and those ninjaesque guys were a cool challenge.
-i would've liked a bit more stealthy elements, there were a few times i could sneak up on an enemy and take em out, would've liked a few more of those.

overall, i liked it. dunno if i'd play it again. i'd honestly give it a 7/10. i think perhaps people were so blown away by it was the lack of a decent FPS out at that time. i'd recommend it to people to play though.

hoooray me

HRslammR said:
neat game, some thoughts i had while playing it over the course of 2-3 days.

overall, i liked it. dunno if i'd play it again. i'd honestly give it a 7/10. i think perhaps people were so blown away by it was the lack of a decent FPS out at that time. i'd recommend it to people to play though.
This isn't meant as a flame, as I haven't played FEAR - yet. If you think FEAR was 7/10, what do you think - recently, last couple years maybe - rates higher, especially around 9/10 ?

Thanks

deadrody said:
This isn't meant as a flame, as I haven't played FEAR - yet. If you think FEAR was 7/10, what do you think - recently, last couple years maybe - rates higher, especially around 9/10 ?

Thanks

not sure, i'd have to say i thought half-life 2 was better than FEAR, and i wasn't the biggest fan of hl2. but then again, the last game to really make me feel blown away was call of duty, but i haven't played CoD2 yet, but i imagine it's got the same feeling. there just haven't been that many games that make it an "experience" persay. (i did like the camera gun mode in fear, that was fun.)

i'd really like to see a few more games where more than once you're overwhelmed and undergunned. maybe people remember some of the moments in games like Aliens Vs. Predator where you'd get the ultimate rush of being an alien, and the stealthyness of a predator, and the dirty shorts experience of being a human. (i think we all had a moment in the human campaign where we were short on bullets, the lights and batter for the flashlight was out, and we'd hear the "beep" on the radar and we got a sudden grip of terror hit us)i sort of wanted to see more of that in FEAR, i mean it IS supposed to scare the piss ou of me, some of the lingering "scary parts" were neat (like the little girl standing, or the older girl goign all spider on me) but overall were mainly just predictable and not all that scary. there just wasn't that many moments that will leave a definite memory of my gaming experience in FEAR. the psychological, blood on the walls things dead things coming at me i suppose (to me at least) just don't seem all that bone chilling.

some of the dream sequences were cool, but as far as disturbing, i think the drug-induced ones from max payne were alot more disturbing.

although at the very very end on the helicopter, THAT was very neat.

i mean the game was GOOD, just not one that'd leave a very large impression on me.

Ok i haven't beat F.E.A.R. yet but i am sorta far into the game and i havent been scared once. Does it get scary near the end or something cause seeing a trashcan fly across the room isn't scary to me. Now comparing this to Doom 3, Doom 3 is 50x more scary. I guess because your going against demons instead of like humanoid creatures. And you get to go to hell, which i think is the best recreation of hell iv'e ever seen.

i hated the voicemails. anyone who works at all knows better than to swear or talk shit like that on a message machine. that was the only thing that annoyed me. otherwise, I love that game.

It was fun....I really liked the later levels of the game, and the nuke bomb at the end was by far the coolest part of the whole game. I got it mainly to test my new rig since I heard the graphics were "amazing"

H3d Case said:
Ok i haven't beat F.E.A.R. yet but i am sorta far into the game and i havent been scared once. Does it get scary near the end or something cause seeing a trashcan fly across the room isn't scary to me. Now comparing this to Doom 3, Doom 3 is 50x more scary. I guess because your going against demons instead of like humanoid creatures. And you get to go to hell, which i think is the best recreation of hell iv'e ever seen.

Doom 3 is "Open door, zombie pops out"... How is that ANY different than "a trashcan fly across the room"?

I guess it's different for everybody..

Doom 3 scared the shit outa me in the begining but then it was like "ok, a dark corridor bleh.." , the thing I liked about FEAR is that you'd just finished this intense battle with everything blowing up around you and yer adrenalin is just starting to normalize again and then BOOOO...... "hell, I forgot this was a scary game".

and of course the graphics are just insanely awesome, for me the best ever.

I thought FEAR had good sound too. I remember some good moments where the music tied in great with what was happening on screen. Plus, what was that sound behind you? Oh shit....

Suflex said:
I guess it's different for everybody..

Doom 3 scared the shit outa me in the begining but then it was like "ok, a dark corridor bleh.." , the thing I liked about FEAR is that you'd just finished this intense battle with everything blowing up around you and yer adrenalin is just starting to normalize again and then BOOOO...... "hell, I forgot this was a scary game".

and of course the graphics are just insanely awesome, for me the best ever.

Eh, for graphics to be praised the "best ever" it has to do more than fancy lighting/shadows for me.

I loved the game. The sounds, visuals, and AI (and interesting story) kept drawing me back. I love the gunfights, pure and simple. The levels were linear, yes, but I didnt mind. Huge levels arent everything - like Far Cry; I didnt get into it so much.

Overall the atmosphere of FEAR is what makes it one of my top games.

1000x better than Doom 3.

I also just finished FEAR and loved the game. Personally i gave the game a 10 because for me a game is tops if it holds my interest throughout the whole thing. In other words it has to make me want to boot up the pc and play it. And this game did this. Plus i liked all the cussing and goofiness.

Now im going to boot up BF2 and see how i like it.

fromage said:
Doom 3 is "Open door, zombie pops out"... How is that ANY different than "a trashcan fly across the room"?
Lets begin to understand why Doom 3 is scary as shit and why FEAR isn't.

#1 Doom 3 can have walls that are made of flesh.

#2 Doom 3 has monsters. Some do get scary.

#3 You actually go to hell in Doom 3 and yes it's scary.

#4 FEAR doesn't have monsters.

#5 FEAR only has Counter Strike wanna be guys and some robots.

#6 You never know when something is going to pop out in Doom 3.

#7 You do know when something is going to pop out in FEAR.

DukenukemX said:
Lets begin to understand why Doom 3 is scary as shit and why FEAR isn't.

#1 Doom 3 can have walls that are made of flesh.

#2 Doom 3 has monsters. Some do get scary.

#3 You actually go to hell in Doom 3 and yes it's scary.

#4 FEAR doesn't have monsters.

#5 FEAR only has Counter Strike wanna be guys and some robots.

#6 You never know when something is going to pop out in Doom 3.

#7 You do know when something is going to pop out in FEAR.

Get outta here with your !!!!!! talk.

Flesh Walls are not realistic. Therefore you dont see them in FEAR, you do see lots of blood covered walls however.

Monsters? you fight frickin ghosts in FEAR

Again FEAR is more realistic, so you dont goto Hell. You can be scared without going to hell. I think its scarier to be in a familiar place like an office with things going wrong, but thats me.

AND you always know when something will pop out in Doom. I dont which game you played but Doom was very predictable. FEAR can be predictable but what game isn't?

dON't even reply to me cuz I'm not arguing with you over it.

IMO, Doom3 scary is like cheap and lame scare tactics. Stuff jumping from behind you popping out of no where etc.

FEAR has some parts where you are scared into paranoia. I'd have to admit some scary parts are where a ghost pops out and you feak out but nothing happens to you. That just makes you think, OMG what happens next time when they pop out? what do i do?

or like parts are just plain creppy, shadows being cast in long hall ways, and when you arrive at the location where you thought you saw the person, no one is there

oh man thinking about it gives me the creeps

f.e.a.r was on top for me because of the A.I.

I usually hate playing single player games due to the fact that most games just arent challanging. putting a lot of hit points into a unit doesnt make things challanging. playing against the f.e.a.r AI was like playing vs actual players... maybe not the best of players but definitely not like doom or any other FPS out there. they wont chase you down and get slaughtered everytime.

DragonNOA1 said:
Flesh Walls are not realistic. Therefore you dont see them in FEAR, you do see lots of blood covered walls however.
The flesh walls just adds ambience. Much like the shadows and the noises. Ahh yes who could forget the noises.
Monsters? you fight frickin ghosts in FEAR
Yes but 99% of the time it's Counter Strike.
Again FEAR is more realistic, so you dont goto Hell. You can be scared without going to hell. I think its scarier to be in a familiar place like an office with things going wrong, but thats me.
Hell is probably one of the best ways to scare people. It's all about the unknown.

Also an office isn't a great place to be scared. Unless you work overtime.
AND you always know when something will pop out in Doom. I dont which game you played but Doom was very predictable. FEAR can be predictable but what game isn't?
When I played fear I played just to see that little girl come out. It was the part that made it worth killing all those Counter Strike guys. I'm sure you remember the 5-10 minutes worth of fighting and then that 1 minute worth of story which always shows that girl. It was on and off constantly. That's how predictable it got.
dON't even reply to me cuz I'm not arguing with you over it.
Sorry I don't do requests.

A.I. is definately the winner in F.E.A.R. Ist time I saw the dudes jump through the window and throw a bookcase over to hide behind I was hooked. IT'S ON MOFO!!

Graphics were HL2ish to me. Mildly scary during the first half and then you knew what the flickery lights meant and you just waited for the cut scene or script to run and like "yawn".

Good gameplay. I was one of the the OMFG people right after the first time Iplayed it but after the second time and some time to reflect I would have to agree with the 7 or 8 out of 10 rating.

I just found Splinter Cell Chaos Theory in the bargain bin at Best Buy and I'm likin that a whole lot better and am now really looking forward to SC 4 DA.

I loved the fear A.i. it was one of those games I just play to play, every game is perdictable to a certian point this game I didn't know what was going to happend next but as I was getting to it you could tell, I loved going through the office building.. it was one of the best parts to me, I might just buy the game for multiplayer,

wrangler said:
A.I. is definately the winner in F.E.A.R. Ist time I saw the dudes jump through the window and throw a bookcase over to hide behind I was hooked. IT'S ON MOFO!!

Hahaha.....my thoughts exactly. The fire-fights still amaze me.

You mentioned the graphics and predictability.....sure, once the lights flickered you knew the girl would appear. BUT....they never repeated where she would show up. So....she always freaked the crap out of me when she did - especially scuttling on all fours towards you.

DragonNOA1 said:

I was scared more than once in FEAR. I hope that there is a sequel. I just finished the game (not even 5 mins ago) and must say that the ending was kinda weird. While they had a storyline with which they tried to tie it all together, I did not like that 1/2 the missions were "eliminate Paxton Fettel" which I felt was rather dumb. I never really understood the whole thing.

I must admit that watching till the very end of the credits makes clear that there is likely going to be a sequel.

I hope that the next version doesn't have some crappy securom protection, since I'd rather not have my CD-RW airplane turbine spin up every time I want to play. I would also appreicate if the pointless splash screens on startup would never appear after the first time.

Bullet time was awesome. I really liked it. I love to "move like neo"...

DukenukemX said:
Hell is probably one of the best ways to scare people. It's all about the unknown.

Hell surely would scare me, but not the Cartoon-Hell from Doom3. I never even knew I was in hell. Overall, FEAR was significantly more scary due to the fact that it was mostly CS, and not completely out-there. Something that is somewhat plausible certainly scares me more than the completely 'out-there' atmosphere in Doom 3.
Not that I disliked D3.

deadrody said:

Thanks

I would say Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was a bit better. Probably 9/10. I would rate F.E.A.R. 8/10, HL2 8/10, Quake IV 8/10.

Not exactly recent, but I rate System Shock and System Shock 2 10/10. (just to give a bit of perspective on what I feel is a perfect game)

I was a bit disturbed a few times in F.E.A.R. Usually when Alma does her twitchy break dancing across the floor toward you. :D

SS2 FTW!

FEAR was good, not great, but I enjoyed it. The little chick with her crawling around was pretty creepy. I would say I like HL2 better than FEAR but I liked FEAR better than Doom 3. The end battle in Doom 3 made that game worth it for me. :D

But in SS2 when that guy hangs himself behind the door... now THAT was frickin' freekiness. lol

fear is tonnnnnnnes better than doom3 and its a lot scarier/intense than doom3....

scary? you want to talk about scary, take a look at the bulletin boards. They had TPS cover sheets all over the place. Everytime I listened to the voice mail I was terrified I was going to to hear Lumbergh tell me I was going to have to come in on saturday!

DukenukemX said:
Sorry I don't do requests.

Difference of opinion I guess. By reading this thread it seems most liked FEAR over Doom 3. How does it feel to be part of the minority? :D

meh, i thought there just wasn't that many moments in FEAR where you felt like you had better get the hell outta there or you're gonna die. i was always so overpowered that i wasn't feeling threatened. there's a few other games out there that made me go AHHH!!!

my dream will be happy when another AvP comes out.

I like the game and all but the end was the best part overall 8/10..

I may replay it in the future with a faster pc to run it with all settings max :D.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
SS2 FTW!

FEAR was good, not great, but I enjoyed it. The little chick with her crawling around was pretty creepy. I would say I like HL2 better than FEAR but I liked FEAR better than Doom 3. The end battle in Doom 3 made that game worth it for me. :D

But in SS2 when that guy hangs himself behind the door... now THAT was frickin' freekiness. lol

I must be lame, what's SS2? :(

As for FEAR, I got bored there for awhile in the offices but after that it picked up again and got really good. Overall I thought FEAR was a really good game and i'm playing it again right now as a matter of fact. :) I really enjoyed Doom 3 but for some reason I just never could get into ROE. Still haven't finished it (and that's unusual for me, I ALWAYS finish games).

SS2 = System Shock 2

(this was before the acronym fad swept the gaming community... rofl)

While I enjoyed FEAR and Doom3, I found neither hardly scarey at all. Condemned on the other hand creeped me out like no other. Maybe it was the surround sound or the great lighting effects. (Condemned is coming to pc soon?)

Someone brought up AvP. I remember that game scared the shit out of me a few times. I was younger though :). That game was actually hard at parts unlike games they make today that any 2year old can beat within a few trys.

Fear definatly took the cake for me... D3 was just too...blah. I mean I jumped maybe once the whole game(when you rounded the corner and the demon was behind the stairs) FEAR ran a little laggy on my machine but it STILL freaked me out. I was still immersed into it. the end boss fight for D3 sucked... I beat it without dying the first time through...(on hard) it was just too predictable(get shotgun, kill a few monsters while running in a circle, use the soul cube, repeat 3x and your done)

fear just immersed you in the environment more, with farcry I didn't even know what the crap I was there for...(something about a girl). but oh my gosh! there is a PLOT to fear! I did get tired of the load screens though....

and YES! someone else noticed all the freakin TPS reports!

grizzed said:
scary? you want to talk about scary, take a look at the bulletin boards. They had TPS cover sheets all over the place. Everytime I listened to the voice mail I was terrified I was going to to hear Lumbergh tell me I was going to have to come in on saturday!

LOL...Lumbergh

I was expecting FEAR to be a ok game when I bought it but after playing it I thought it was the best FPS to come out in the last few years. It is the only game that I thought equaled HL2. I agree that some of the backgrounds were repetitive but that was partly because you were in a office building and not out in outer space.

I was actually scared a few times in the game and the parts that scared me were not that repetitive:
- Invisible ninjas. The first time I saw them I damn near crapped my pants.
- When your going down the ladder and you turn around and there is Alma. When you get to the bottom of the stairs and turn around you find Fettel (sp?) walking towards you. I didnt expect that to happen.
- When the robot comes down on the big elevator. I was getting a drink of Pepsi and not paying much attention and not expecting the robot to be there.
- Alma running at me on all fours. That one got me good.
- Fettel hitting me in the face with a wrench on the first level. etc etc etc.

Doom3 was way to dark. I had to find codes on the internet on how to change the settings and it ended up looking a bit washed out but at least I could see better. What is the point of having a good graphics engine if you cant see them? I think they should of used the same level of lighting as in Quake 4. The first couple of times a zombie jumped out I jumped but after that I got kind of bored.

Doom3 had zombies and aliens jumping out of secret holes in the walls to scare you, FEAR scared the crap out of you using a little girl. When I was 6 or 7 years old I suspected little girls were evil but until now I didnt know they were evil AND bulletproof. FEAR also had one of the best opening sequences I have seen, it really set up the story.

I find it hard to rank Doom3 very high because I don't think it was even as good as Quake 4. I would give FEAR a 9/10 and Doom3 a 6/10.

Back