Just bought an Audigy 2 ZS

Fothermucker

2[H]4U
Retail from best buy was $80 with $20 rebate. Since I have a 2.1 system do I really need all the shit creative packs on their CD or can I just install the device drivers and be done with it? I tried playing with all of creative's utils but they dont really do anything for me. :eek:

the only program i used off of that cd was the Audio Stream Recorder 2 software, it's real handy when you wanna record streaming radio stations off of the web

I'd just install the drivers and be done with it. Most of that software is useless garbage that takes up HDD space.

What I do is I use the original installation CD, and select Custom and just put in SurroundMixer/AudioHQ/drivers then uncheck everything else.

Then I go to Creatives site and download any updates by the date issued. Usually just the drivers.

Works everytime. I have the Audigy2 ZS Platinum card.

I had to install the software because thats the only way i can disbled the CMSS 3d feature since it makes my 5.1 setup sound like crap

the CMSS 3d comes enabled when you have a 5.1 setup, which is annoying

I just got an Audigy2 ZS also. It replaced the onboard [Abit IC7]
I threw everything in the first time just to see what was there.
Been making MP3's and recording stuff so I'll probably leave the bloat in for awhile.
First thing I did was get all the freakin updates from Creative's site.
EAX games sound good, playing Painkiller right now.
Previous sound cards were Santa Cruz, Montego Bay2, Hercules Muse etc.
All residing in older machines and doing just fine.
I wish Aureal would put out a real effort to keep Creative on their toes.
Probably try the M-guys next.

I wish Aureal would put out a real effort to keep Creative on their toes.

They're dead and buried. Creative bought the IP for A3D 1-3 and is still sitting on it. A lot of the former Aureal engineers went to nvidia and probably helped design the NForce 2 APU.

EAX Console
Surround Mixer
Speaker Settings
MediaSource Remote thing.

That's about all I have installed, I installed the THX console for kicks.

Even with full installation it doesn't slow my system down one bit.

Greetings and salutations Leuk, Duck... others.

EAX Console
Surround Mixer
Speaker Settings
Add Audio HQ and the DVD Audio player and you got my installation of Creative bloatware.
As has been previously demonstrated this is a PER user kinda thing.
Install it all.....figure out what you don't need then uninstall those extra components. ;)

I also just came from a TBSC to the Audigy 2 ZS but I havent (and still dont) notice jack between the two cards.

that being that, its damn good thing I got my Audigy 2 ZS at a real good price otherwise I wouldve been depressed about the upgrade.

Creative's software is actually fairly useful, and as long as you disable all the stuff it loads at startup, it won't affect normal performance any. I'd recommend especially the surround mixer, which gives you good control over volumes, and the EAX Console, which allows you to add reverb and change CMSS settings. Audio HQ is useful as well, and if you like midis the soundfont bank manager can be interesting to play around with.

I usually install the drivers and am done with it, but recently my friends convinced me to put in the surround mixer with all that effects shit in it. Its helped me a couple of times now when my TV cards sound will fuck itself.

Back