Just bought a Hannspree HF289H 28" LCD

I brought one home to test it out. On my pc so far with the zoom thing set to 16:9 mode 16:9 material displays correctly with bars at the top as far as I can tell. However any 4:3 divx I play stretches wide. If I manually clickity click through the menus and switch the zoom to 4:3 it plays fullscreen 4:3 divx I'm guessing at 200% zoom but with bars on all 4 sides, instead of zooming it to touch the top and bottom of the screen with bars only on the left and right. Anyway theres no way I would click through the menus every time I felt like playing something 4:3 fullscreen, or every time a 4:3 cutscene happened in a game?, or when I fullscreen youtube, etc...

The nvidia driver panel has the scaling bullets grayed out so I can't change any scaling options there either. I'm running on the default drive that vista picked up when I plugged the monitor in.

To be specific I've run this on vist32 and vista64 with my palit GeForce 9600gt, on its hdmi output (not dvi to hdmi).

I will test it again on my other rig's 7600gt via dvi to hdmi. I also have a ps3 I can test later on. I'm sure 16:9 material on the ps3 works at 16:9 mode on the monitor, but I'm not sure that 4:3 material like joust, qbert, and maybe mortal kombat2 on the ps3 would display without stretch.

My biggest concern is with 4:3 video including pvr'd OTA standard def TV, etc, and misc divx 4:3 material.

I thought hdmi to hdmi would not stretch, so I'm disappointed. I'm going to mess with it some more and see what happens. I'm also not positive its in per pixel 1:1: at 16:9 though it appears to be at a glance - I dont have any way to test it that I can think off right now. BB told me I have 30 days to return it, which I may do eventually.

Ok I downloaded the vista64 driver off the hannspree web site and now the 4:3 material plays fine fullscreen. :) This is hdmi-to-hdmi off my 9600gt card. I have yet to try dvi-to-hmi , or my ps3 yet. I just wanted to update.

BB told me I have 30 days to return it, which I may do eventually.
I've been fed with this misinformation too.. you only have 14 days to return it check the receipt (they may have changed it...) can you also check the power-save mode? :D

I've been fed with this misinformation too.. you only have 14 days to return it check the receipt (they may have changed it...) can you also check the power-save mode? :D

YES 14 days to Return.... IF you do decide to return it make SURE you tell them that it does Not go to Power Save/Sleep Mode. They mark that on the receipt when sending it back to the manufacturer...

bestbuy dude told me still have to pay restocking fee if return < 14 days. true or false?

bestbuy dude told me still have to pay restocking fee if return < 14 days. true or false?

This is a quote from the Bestbuy site:
Restocking fee
A restocking fee of 15% will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems unless defective or prohibited by law. A restocking fee of 25% will be charged on Special Order Products, including appliances unless defective or prohibited by law.

I don't see anything on monitors, so it looks like there should be no fee.

When i returned my Monitor, the guy didnt mention anything about a Restocking Fee of 15%.
When i purcahsed it, i was told I could return it within 14 days.

So if you return it within 14 days there should be no problem!

Using the monitor driver from the hannspree web page along with the latest nvidia driver on my 9600gt, the HF289H wakes up from being "turned off" in the power settings fine. I have it set to turn my monitors "off" after 15mins. I never put my computer to sleep so I can't comment on that.

goodluck on that....what is written is what they will go to unless you have some special arrangements prior to purchase...I might be wrong because I'm talking about refunds and not returns..

Looks like I'm keeping it anyway. :)

Its a nice monitor, but I did have to tweak the settings alot. Brightness down to zero in the monitor controls, and even a bit lower using nvidia control panel. I also adjusted the contrast and bumped the digital vibrance up slightly, and I turned the blue down a hair in the rgb settings in the nvidia controls for video playback as I found it a little too cool vs my crt.

Once I got it tweaked out and realized it could run 4:3 and 16:9 material at 1:1 / per-pixel I became pretty satisfied. The brightness was extreme, I just have to say again. I also played some CoD4 and WoW on it and they look great.

I think 28"(27.5) to 30" is perfect size for desk. I had a westinghouse 37" behind my desk on a mini computer table/desk which made it about 36" - 40" away from my eyes and it was still so large that I'd have to turn my eyes up and maybe even my head a bit to see the map and HUD elements in the top corners of games. I really liked my westinghouse but I would have had to have kept the westinghouse about 4' away from me to be able to see the whole monitor. It has crisp text and it is good for movie playback but this hanns is much better for me. I can keep the hannspree much closer on my desk so it still is quite large perspective wise. I have it paired with a 24"ws fw900 crt side by side both running at 1920x1200 and I'm finding it much better already. I may sell the westinghouse to pay off the hanns.

These pics came out grainy but it gives some idea. If you are sitting right at the desk it is even bigger than how it looks panned out with the camera.

monitors_27.5in-LCD_24in-crt_close.jpg

monitors_27.5in-LCD_24in-crt.jpg

Did you guys buy your Hanns with an extended warranty from BestBuy? Are they worth it for a purchase like this?

No because it come with a 3 year warranty but i might consider it.

I know i can take out a 4 years warranty, not sure how much $$$ and then within 4 years return it and get something better.

Using the monitor driver from the hannspree web page along with the latest nvidia driver on my 9600gt, the HF289H wakes up from being "turned off" in the power settings fine. I have it set to turn my monitors "off" after 15mins. I never put my computer to sleep so I can't comment on that.

AHA! I guess we have a solution!! Can you tell us

• What OS are you using?
  • What are your DETAILED Monitor Settings?
  • What are your Video Card Settings?

No because it come with a 3 year warranty but i might consider it.

I know i can take out a 4 years warranty, not sure how much $$$ and then within 4 years return it and get something better.

I purchased the 4 year extended warranty from best buy for this monitor.It was $79.99.
BUT the monitor comes with 3 year warranty from HANNSpree, so im not sure if its worth buying the BB warranty along with it?

I'm using Vista64 ultimate with a PaLit 9600gt. I have it on the dvi out to hdmi in using a dvi-> hdmi cable. I had tried it on hdmi to hdmi since the card has hdmi as well, but I dont know if it was doing standby resume.. I think it would though.

I am running a custom power scheme. You can get to it via the desktop among other ways, by right clicking a blank spot on the desktop and choosing personalize from the menu, then choose screen saver and on the right of the screen saver window is a power options link. Alternately you can just go to control panel and click the power options icon there. I customized the balanced power scheme so that the "Plugged in" column is set to turn the monitor "off" in 15 minutes. I have it set when "Plugged in" to put the computer to sleep - "Never". Perhaps the problem occurs when people put their computer to sleep, but I never do - I just have the monitors turn "off", and have it set to go to the logon screen when the monitors resume.

Monitor settings are
------------------------------------------
HDMI mode:pC , Input: HDMI 1, Zoom mode 16:9, Brightness zero (and minus another 5 in nvidia driver settings to 45), Contrast:50, sharpness +0, Xcontrast: off , OSD Time-out 10sec, AudioInput: PC , Mute: off, NearTiming Mode off, Color setting : user

In nvidia drivers I have desktop color settings as
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brightness : 45 (took 5 off 50, and have the monitor's control set to zero as I mentioned)
Digital Vibrance: +6%
Contrast: 50 (didnt adjust it here)
ImageSharpening: none
Gamma: 50 (didnt adjust it)

In nvidia video color settings I have
-------------------------------------------------------
Color Tab..
Brightness: 48%
Contrast: 83%
Hue: 0 (didnt adjust)
Saturation: 52%

In Gamma Tab I adjusted RGB levels with the lock icon unlocked......
Red: +26%
Green: +26%
Blue: +24%

I'm still experimenting with the display settings and the video color but it looks way better than default to me as it is now.

As an added bonus I got a Birthday rebate coupon from best buy in the mail today.. 15% off a number of things including tvs but not specifically monitors. I took it to best buy and when they asked I told them I bought it as a tv - that it has hdmi input and says bluray and hddvd playback on the box. So I got my price adjusted, which gave me with the tax difference $72 back So it cost me around $445 now. Happy bday to me this month :D

So it took the new drivers to get it to scale 4:3 correctly running DVI>HMDI? Anyone able to confirm that 4:3 scales correctly on Vista32 + DVI?

If so, I might be regretting getting rid of this one (drivers were corrupt when I tried installing them).

I forgot to mention that I extracted the drivers to a folder using winrar, and updated the monitor drivers manually, pointing to that folder rather than running the installer program.

Do any notice when viewing Hard forum, the bottom half of the screen is more brighter than the top half. I might have to return it this weekend for an replacement.

This monitor is EXTREMELY over bright at the default settings, which exacerbates backlight bleed.

I turned my brightness down in my monitor button controls to Zero and it still wasn't turned down enough. I then further turned the brightness down in the nvidia control panel by 5 (from 50% to 45%).

I would try turning it down like I did before you decide to return it, as mine was very bright on the bottom also, and isnt now since I tweaked my settings (i.e. As you turn the brightness up, the backlight bleed grows, and vice versa.. and this monitor is a spotlight out of the box).

The only modification to my prior tweak post is that I turned down the contrast in the nvidia video playback controls to about 62 I think. I'm still messing with getting the video playback settings as good as I can.

About no XP love - you might try using the vista drivers in xp. Forcing the drivers might work. Try at your own risk though. I have no responsibility blah blah ;)

To force a driver install, go to Start -> and type " devmgmt.msc " in the search/run field and hit enter. This is a short way to bring up device manager. Click monitors heading and highlight your monitor. Right-click the monitor and choose "update driver". Then select "browse my computer for driver software". Then choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". The choose "Have disk". This will allow you to force a driver even if windows thinks it has a better/newer one. It still might not allow it since the driver is written for Vista but it could be worth a try. I've got it to work with xp monitor drivers in vista on certain monitors.

About no XP love - you might try using the vista drivers in xp. Forcing the drivers might work. Try at your own risk though. I have no responsibility blah blah ;)

To force a driver install, go to Start -> and type " devmgmt.msc " in the search/run field and hit enter. This is a short way to bring up device manager. Click monitors heading and highlight your monitor. Right-click the monitor and choose "update driver". Then select "browse my computer for driver software". Then choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". The choose "Have disk". This will allow you to force a driver even if windows thinks it has a better/newer one. It still might not allow it since the driver is written for Vista but it could be worth a try. I've got it to work with xp monitor drivers in vista on certain monitors.
thanks I'll try it, if this turns my monitor to a paperweight I'll just hunt you and decapitate your monitor and keep it as a trophy...

I bought this monitor for photo editing and have been pretty happy so far. It has the typical TN issues, but I'm willing to let them slide because of the value for such a large display. I calibrated my LCD using an Eye-One colorimeter to a whitepoint of 6500K with a gamma of 2.2. It really helped the image. Here are my calibrated settings if you're curious. I'm not sure if they will translate to other monitors as there may be other factors at play.

HF289H settings:
Brightness - 58
Contrast - 75
X-contrast - off

Color settings (set to user):
R 67
G 64
B 54

How do you decapitate a monitor? chop it off its stand? You'd have to get past my guardian first. :cool:

bella_dark-1.jpg

I doubt drivers would break your monitor. A bad effect might be bsod's or the inability to get rid of the drivers or something. More likely they just wouldn't be accepted/wouldn't work.

matics like you said the settings we both posted may not translate to other people's setups. A major factor is room lighting (both ambient and direct levels) and what video card you are using. Another thing is personal preference. Some people like somewhat overly bright monitors, and some like slightly oversaturated colors for example.

I calibrated my monitor by eye, using my FW900 crt (after it warmed up and hour) as a reference right next to it. I tried to get them pretty close. My monitors are not in a very bright room however, so lcd brightness is even more extreme in this setting. There is a soft lamp more or less right behind the monitors and there are a few soft room/floor lamps in the background of the room's area behind where I sit at the desk. In order to get the monitor to match the crt closely I had to turn the brightness to zero in the monitor controls, and then down another 5 in my nvidia driver controls. This also removed a lot of the backlight bleed.

I'm thinking about buying this monitor but the scaling issue has been keeping me away. If the drivers do allow 1:1 scaling, I might have to pull the trigger. FYI, Best Buy has it for 530 on their website.

How do you decapitate a monitor? chop it off its stand? You'd have to get past my guardian first. :cool:

bella_dark-1.jpg

I doubt drivers would break your monitor. A bad effect might be bsod's or the inability to get rid of the drivers or something. More likely they just wouldn't be accepted/wouldn't work.

any cat toy on the market would do, then get a huge axe out :)

so, whats the short story?

HF-289HJB... thats the "better" quality one?

I just thought that pic looked a little demonic with the way her eyes came out in it.

Threats aside, did the drivers ever work out in XP? Just curious.

I have Vista 64 and in VGA the sleep mode works. But using a HDMI it does not work. Trying different things and so far nothing works except the vga mode. I did notice in HDMI when you shut down and you get the no signal sign, I hit the enter button on monitor and the OSD comes out and when it disappears then the monitor goes to sleep. Strange

Wow it did go back up to $579 at bestbuy online but the online listing had been the same as the in store before. I just checked store availability and no best buy remotely near me has them in stock anymore either. At the time I bought mine recently at the $529 price, only one of the two most convenient locations by me had one. When I arrived there was only one in a box on the shelf and one display model. I also luckily got a 15% off b-day coupon in the mail the day after I bought it so I went back to the nearer of the two stores and they price adjusted it for me. My final price was about $450, but with taxes it brought it back up to $490. Otherwise at $530 list price with tax would have been $576, and at $579 list price with tax would have been $631 :eek:

Another pic of mine. I'm going to try to get a more crisp picture eventually but the nature of the different display tech along with the low room lighting is making the pictures come out fuzzy I think.

monitors_27.5in-LCD_24in-crt_walls-1.jpg

I have Vista 64 and in VGA the sleep mode works. But using a HDMI it does not work. Trying different things and so far nothing works except the vga mode. I did notice in HDMI when you shut down and you get the no signal sign, I hit the enter button on monitor and the OSD comes out and when it disappears then the monitor goes to sleep. Strange

So thats what the problem is. I was running my monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable. I wish I had known about this earlier so I would have NOT returned mine as the price has gone back up at $579.99

Now the question is: How is the screen resolution at VGA mode as compared to HDMI ?

Back