Just bought a Hannspree HF289H 28" LCD

So dvi to hdmi scales wrong while hdmi to hdmi does not? Is this true of both consoles and PC?
So with 4:3 games on pc , like diablo and the old warcraft rts for example, they are being stretching out? What about 4:3 videos (like standard def tv tuner captures) output from a computer full screen , etc? Wouldn't windows manage video playback size itself and add bars? As for the games, its too bad you can't run old games in a maximized window, or just in a window. They use such low resources vs modern hardware usually that it wouldn't stress a system to run it that way. They'd also look better at their native rez in a window.)

I'm not an expert on all of this but with my Hannspree running through DVI - HDMI I can get 4:3 without any stretching by letting the Nvidia driver take over.

For my Xbox 360 running through the VGA cable, the monitor displays 1080p with no stretching. I tested this using the 1920x1080 image found here

If i hit the input select and wait about 5 secs it will go into sleep mode. Weirdest damn thing.
what's weird is why do you even go to trouble of going deep the OSD just to put it to sleep??why dont you just turn if off then?:D I talked to to Hannspree it is a known issue so all of them "TechSupport" said all of them would have same problem...

Well i called Hannspree just to verify that there is no solution and they confirmed it. So the HF289 went back to BB. :( Oh well time to try something else. I was really hoping not to have to go to a 30" because I don't like the 2560x1600 rez.

I'm not an expert on all of this but with my Hannspree running through DVI - HDMI I can get 4:3 without any stretching by letting the Nvidia driver take over.

So you get the bars on the sides to maintain the aspect ratio? I tried this to on Vista running the past 3 driver releases and none of the scaling options would take.

I'm curious now... what operating system are you running & which Nvidia drivers do you have?

Are you guys serious on the sleep mode for the Hansspree 28"? I am surprised because my older Hanns-G 281DJB model has no problems going into sleep mode. That sucks that a new one can't do this.

Are you guys serious on the sleep mode for the Hansspree 28"? I am surprised because my older Hanns-G 281DJB model has no problems going into sleep mode. That sucks that a new one can't do this.

The 281 did not have any issues for me, the 289 did... but I have neither one anymore so it doesn't effect me.

What's the reason behind not having the 281 model? Oh BTW, does the 289 model swivel? I tried to swivel the display model at BB and It was limited and did not swivel.

The 281 did not have any issues for me, the 289 did... but I have neither one anymore so it doesn't effect me.

Well i called Hannspree just to verify that there is no solution and they confirmed it. So the HF289 went back to BB. :( Oh well time to try something else. I was really hoping not to have to go to a 30" because I don't like the 2560x1600 rez.

I bought my HANNSpree last week for $550 at BB. I must say that PS3 games at 1080P look amazing! Only thing is that i have to Upgrade my eVGA GT 7700 so it can handle the High Resolution for PC usage.

I want to know if the Sleep issue cab be Resolved by using a HDMI switch Box or something like that? IF NOT then what OTHER options do we have in the UNDER $600 for a 28~30" 1080p LCD?

289H is really the way to go if you are set to buy a 28", also some sales guy think this is a high price item for them, so dont be scared to pull out the 12% RZ coupons or 10% movers coupon from USPS, they might just bite...

Where can you get those from? Any links?

I just pick my up last night from best buy. I will set it up tonight and post of picture.

This would be a great jump from 20" 1680 x 1050 to 28" 1900x1200.

Also, can't wait to hook up the ps3.

go to FW or SD I dont know if I'm allowed to send links but PM me your email I'll send you the coupon....

Now you all can take your receipts back into BB and get it for this weeks price of $529.99.

Will they ALLOW you to do that? OR would I have to return it first and then Buy another one?

also I have a HDMI switcher I used this for PS3, CATV and PC. My old one when I turn off the CATV/PC/PS3 the monitor would have a "check cable no signal" and then it would shut-off / standby mode. This one it wont shut-off but black screen and a "check cable no signal" every 2-3 min. anybody has this issue?Thanks....

Did you TRY w/o the Switcher? Cant u set it to sleep via Windows Vista? There has to be some solution IF not then just turn it off?

also I have a HDMI switcher I used this for PS3, CATV and PC. My old one when I turn off the CATV/PC/PS3 the monitor would have a "check cable no signal" and then it would shut-off / standby mode. This one it wont shut-off but black screen and a "check cable no signal" every 2-3 min. anybody has this issue?Thanks....

I bought my HANNSpree last week for $550 at BB. I must say that PS3 games at 1080P look amazing! Only thing is that i have to Upgrade my eVGA GT 7700 so it can handle the High Resolution for PC usage.

I want to know if the Sleep issue cab be Resolved by using a HDMI switch Box or something like that? IF NOT then what OTHER options do we have in the UNDER $600 for a 28~30" 1080p LCD?

I have that set-up and still no go...if you are willing to try viewsonic

I tried without switch no go.... as for trying Vista I havent tried that because basically I have to change OS, I have XP and if this monitor doesnt like XP i'll just return it, probably try the Samsung or LG 25.5

Im using VISTA... and this is a VISTA Certified monitor....

Can you post in DETAIL what you are trying to do and what this monitor is doing Instead?

I just pick my up last night from best buy. I will set it up tonight and post of picture.

This would be a great jump from 20" 1680 x 1050 to 28" 1900x1200.

Also, can't wait to hook up the ps3.

That would be great if you could post some pics of your ps3 hooked up to it.
I am at college now and just bought it off online. I shipped it home so I can't use it for another 3 weeks. damn

So you get the bars on the sides to maintain the aspect ratio? I tried this to on Vista running the past 3 driver releases and none of the scaling options would take.

I'm curious now... what operating system are you running & which Nvidia drivers do you have?

Yes, I have the black bars on the sides. Running WinXP.

Will they ALLOW you to do that? OR would I have to return it first and then Buy another one?
Yesterday I stopped in to BB and bought a new laptop so while I was there I showed them my receipt and asked about the price match. I had purchased my monitor online then went and picked it up at the store so what they do is give a full refund on the original amount like you were returning the monitor, then charge you for the new cheaper price. They told me that if I had actually paid for it in the store they just refund the difference in price. Was not a problem and didnt take long at all.

Does this sound crazy? This Hannspree is my first LCD for home use and while I love the massive size, I can't help fighting back the urge to buy something more expensive like the Planar PX2611W that doesn't have TN issues and supposedly looks great and has low input lag. But it would mean stepping down to a smaller monitor with only 2 inputs and it costs ~ $900. I would love to do a side by side comparison but my only option is purchasing the Planar online from a company that gives refunds but that would entail shipping costs to send it back along with a %15 restocking fee. Pretty expensive to just try out a monitor. Really wish CC or BB would carry these kinds of monitors so I could test them without any hassles.

Would I really be floored by the image quality of a monitor like the expensive Planar compared to the Hannspree if all I do is gaming?

as promise, i have finally hook up the monitor.

Here are the picture. Enjoy.

SNV30010.jpg

SNV30011.jpg

SNV30013.jpg

SNV30015.jpg

SNV30017.jpg

ok mine is going back tonight.... :(

I just Returned mine with a very sad look on my face because the monitor is EXCELLENT for the size (28"), features (HDMI 1080P) and Price ($529.95) at BB

I wish it would go into the Power save mode / Sleep!!

:confused:

If theres anyone that has a way around this PLEASE let us know! I would love to buy it back! :(

I just Returned mine with a very sad look on my face because the monitor is EXCELLENT for the size (28"), features (HDMI 1080P) and Price ($529.95) at BB

I know exactly what you mean... however my reason was that I couldn't run 4:3 without a distorted (streched) image on my setup. JMR posted he could, but I cannot on Vista+8800. That was the ONLY catch for me (I don't mind turning it off when not in use).

for me i use a switch box so no power save mode is really annoying and inconvenient...

I know exactly what you mean... however my reason was that I couldn't run 4:3 without a distorted (streched) image on my setup. JMR posted he could, but I cannot on Vista+8800. That was the ONLY catch for me (I don't mind turning it off when not in use).

Have you considered upgrading your Video Card to the Nvidia 9000 series?

for me i use a switch box so no power save mode is really annoying and inconvenient...

and as far as i rem you said that it wont sleep even without using the Switch Box right?

I wish it would go into the Power save mode / Sleep!!

:confused:

If theres anyone that has a way around this PLEASE let us know! I would love to buy it back! :(

y don't u just press the on / off button jeez, it isn't the end of the TN world..

I connected my PS3 via HDMI at 1080p and there were NO Black Bars at the top or bottom!

Did you try and put it into 16:9 mode? I just ordered mine so I can't try, but in the manual it says that there is a 16:9 mode for hdmi/component.

Back