Just bought a Hannspree HF289H 28" LCD

anybody having problem with standby on this? I have a HDMI switcher, before with my gateway if switch it to the source that is turned off, the monitor will be on standby and then will turn itself off after 2-3 mins. but this one doesnt do it.. anybody have same issue with or without HDMI switcher, I use it for PC/CATV/PS3.. Thanks...

my monitor wont go in standby mode.. I've exhausted all options to fix it but cant... this is going back.. anybody have the same problem?

Yeah, I had the same issue... I always had to turn it off. Mine went back yesterday too (only because it couldn't do 4:3 without distorting the image on DVI). I went for the Samsung 2693hm and all is well. I tried various other monitors, but in the end the samsung was the best. If anyone wants more info on why let me know and I'll start a new thread.

Yeah go for it, Bdbtoys. I would love to hear about the 2693hm.

same here.. i know somebody is gonna take a hit on this one, but does the 2" noticeable?thanks...

OK, I'll start up a new link after dinner and will touch on my experiences with the 27.5" HannsG 281 & Hannspree 289, the 25.5" LG2600H & Samsung 2693HM, and last the 24" Gateway FHD2400. I should have it up by tonight.

I'm working on the post... just taking a break. All have gone back except for the 2693.

I grabbed one of these on Saturday. Went into BB expecting to buy the Hanns-G for $550 but they were advertising the "Hanspree" 28" for $550 ... but the sale plaque had the model number for the Hanns-G. So, I just had to bargain with them to get the one I wanted.

After some discussion, the clueless clerk scanned the Hanspree model and told me it was $599 and it appeared to be the only one in stock. He told me he wouldn't be able to give it to me for $550 because it was an updated version of the Hanns-G, and that was the one on sale ... they had several Hanns-G models in stock.

I was able to get the manager to come over .... they whispered to one another for a minute. When he came over to me to ask what the problem was, I told him that they were mis-advertising the sale and I wanted the Hannspree for $550. they both insisted that Hanns-G was a model name, and Hanspree was the company that makes them - when the boxes clearly say "Hannstar Corp."

After about 15 minutes of arguing semantics with them about all the Hanns' names, they finally gave me the Hanspree version for $550. If they're so worried about the $50, then they should take more care not to mislabel their sale items.

Thats the SAME thing that happned to me. They had the HANNSpree advertised for $579.99 BUT the old ones were advertised at $550. BUt i got it for the $549.99

Questions for the OP….is the model you mentioned a newer version of the HG281D? I cant find it anywhere on the web or at BB online. Should I return this one and get the newer model?

The NEW Model is HANNspree Model: HF-289HJB

Now you all can take your receipts back into BB and get it for this weeks price of $529.99.

I just picked up the new 289 a couple days ago to replace my two Dell 2005pfw's and I love this thing. Its perfect for me, gaming and surfing, emailing, the usual. To me the color is great, I tweaked it a little, its very bright and going from 5 year old 20.1" to 27.5 was a huge eye opener. I really did notice an improvement with input lag, I dont know what it was on my Dell's but I actually had to adjust the sensitivity on my G5 after playing COD4 on the Hannspree. Its not a super high end panel but for the price and quality it is perfect for me.
I paid $579 on Friday so Ill be going back to get my $50.
OH yea, I'm a long time visitor here and all the great posts and reviews here helped me narrow down my search for a new monitor.

Anyone know if the lowered price of $529.99 is part of the spring sale, or is it a permanent drop?
Long story short, I am in college now and want this monitor when I get home in a month, so I would just ship it home, but the return policy is only 14 days on monitors. So if I get home in a month, and there is a dead/stuck pixel that can't be fixed, I will not be able to return it as it will be past 14 days.
Is BB really strict about the 14 day thing, or will they cut me break if I find something wrong once I open it up a month after purchase?

The monitor is listed in this weeks ad so I would say this is part of the spring sale. I am thinking about picking one up as well i currently have a 42" Sharp and I feel that this is to big and a strain to my eyes!

Just got back from BB with my new HF289 and I gotta say at first glance I love this monitor. I haven't tried any games yet, but the shear size only is awesome. I came from a Dell 2405WFP and this thing is just HUGE in comparison.

Just got back from BB with my new HF289 and I gotta say at first glance I love this monitor. I haven't tried any games yet, but the shear size only is awesome. I came from a Dell 2405WFP and this thing is just HUGE in comparison.
Pics please:)

:D same here just got back from BB...coming from my 17 inch crt im in shock right now...

Not a great picture, but here is one of mine. The monitor on the left is one of my 2005fpw's.
IMG_0966.jpg

everybody!!! can you guys try putting your computer in standby mode via the screen saver power settings and see if it will go to standby, for me it only goes to standby when I turn-off my PC..thanks...

Here are a couple more. Not great but the batteries were going dead on my camera so I was in a hurry. And yea mine does come up with a signal lost box in standby. Not a big deal to me. I just turn it off at night.
IMG_0979_resize.jpg

IMG_0982_resize.jpg

IMG_0984_resize.jpg

IMG_0983_resize.jpg

I would have loved it too, if is wasn't for the lack of fixed aspect ratio over DVI. I play older games and having a stretched screen while running 4:3 games was not what I wanted.

Is there anyway you can show some pics of it hooked up to an hdmi source with 16:9 aspect ratio? Maybe a 360 or ps3?

Sorry, I dont have a 360 or ps3 and my dvd player is kinda old, I was waiting for blue ray to get cheap. All I do is pc games.

Having the power save problem with my H-289. Has anyone found a fix for this yet? If not looks like it will be going back to BB tomorrow. :(

Does the fixed aspect work with a DVI to HDMI cable to the hdmi inputs? I really don't play any games that don't support widescreen so it wouldn't matter that much to me, I'm just curious. As long as it has 1:1 'per-pixel' mapping on hdmi for the pc (either dvi to hdmi cable or hdmi-to-hdmi) and ps3 in 1080p without stretching it vertically I would be happy.

Another work-around for 1:1 on 4:3 ratio console games is to get a tv tuner/video capture device with component-in.. These kind of tuner/capture devices alow pass-through playback to the computer in a window. Full-screened on the computer, the computer application would handle the aspect ratio and add bars to the sides of the tuner/capture output window. This also works great if you are using multiple monitors since you can usually move the tuner/capture window between monitors and around the desktop on the fly. It wouldn't help for old 4:3 computer games though.

About standby mode - make sure you check the standby settings on the monitor vs the standby power settings in windows. Maybe you can turn the monitor's internal standby off and just use the windows one? I have no idea on this monitor its just a guess-suggestion of something to try. My one monitor has its own standby timeout for example, separate from windows, whose time-out is a setting available in the monitor's own settings. So I'm saying try to disable one or the other standby and see if either way works.

1 suggestion that didnt work too, was to turn off the auto search for input source.... :( too lazy to call support some guy from here said he is going to call them but not heard from him yet...

Does the fixed aspect work with a DVI to HDMI cable to the hdmi inputs?

Another work-around for 1:1 on 4:3 ratio console games is to get a tv tuner/video capture device with component-in..

1. Nope.

2. You may introduce additional input lag, I debated about doing something simular.

dvi to hdmi a no go and a tuner/caputure device produces input lag. Ah well, just thought I'd throw some ideas out there. I had forgot about auto input source, that can definitely be a buggy feature on some monitors/tvs.

So dvi to hdmi scales wrong while hdmi to hdmi does not? Is this true of both consoles and PC?
So with 4:3 games on pc , like diablo and the old warcraft rts for example, they are being stretching out? What about 4:3 videos (like standard def tv tuner captures) output from a computer full screen , etc? Wouldn't windows manage video playback size itself and add bars? As for the games, its too bad you can't run old games in a maximized window, or just in a window. They use such low resources vs modern hardware usually that it wouldn't stress a system to run it that way. They'd also look better at their native rez in a window.

I'm trying to find out exactly what is stretching. If its only 4:3 console games not on hdmi I could live with it (but what about ps3 hdmi to hdmi on retro games like 'joust' 4:3? hdmi-to-hdmi shouldn't stretch?). If its 4:3 computer games I could probably still live with it. If its 4:3 video playback over a PC dvi - to hdmi , or 4:3 video playback on a PS3 hdmi to hdmi, it would prob ruin it for me. However my palit 9600gt computer video card does have one hdmi out on it.

Why would a hdcp enabled dvi-d output to this monitor's hdmi-in using a dvi to hdmi cable (or adapter) stretch, and hdmi to hdmi on the same port not stretch? It sending a hdcp digital signal to the hdmi port on the hanns-spree. Its just not sending the audio portion of the hdmi signal.

Another question - what does this mean for hdmi switches like those $40 1-to-5 models at monoprice.com?

Thanks in advance to people who own this monitor advising. :)

I just picked up this monitor yesterday and I must say it is very nice. Came from a 42" Sharp and this feels like the perfect size 42 was just to big for me. Anyway I am very impressed with this monitor and I highly recommend it!

I just picked up this monitor yesterday and I must say it is very nice. Came from a 42" Sharp and this feels like the perfect size 42 was just to big for me. Anyway I am very impressed with this monitor and I highly recommend it!

Have you had any issue with putting the monitor to sleep?

yup troub put it to sleep! and see if it is a wide issue..

update:
I just talked to TS @ hannspree about the sleep mode problem, and all they asked me to do is switch to a different port on my VGA card or change cables...did that same problem.. I asked if there are gonna be solutions on this problem he said no idea... I guess because it is fairly new that's why i hope resolution would be close..

i can get it to sleep manually, i have to actually hit the input select button on the monitor and then it will sleep. Ugh. I really don't want to have to take this back, it's such a nice monitor if it weren't for that glaring problem.

If i hit the input select and wait about 5 secs it will go into sleep mode. Weirdest damn thing. I think im going to take it back to BB and get another one and see if it was a defect.

Back