Just bought a 4770k cpu!

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
what do you guys think about this cpu? and how far can I push it? 4.5ghz on air stock cooling?

I don't think stock cooling is going to cut it for that much of an overclock. Some people are complaining about the CPU getting close to the throttle temp of 100 degrees C with stock cooling even at stock frequency.

bummer!
lol still it's a good upgrade from my 2600 I think. I guess I have to buy a new cooling for it now. thanks.

Coolermaster 212 EVO is my recommendation. I have pushed it to 4.5 manual overclock with 1.35v and the temps under 8 thread loads were mid to high 80's C. 4.2 is the spot for me. Great performance the temps stay in the low 70's I'm very happy.

honestly, I regret selling my 2600k, 4.8ghz @ 1.25v IIRC and ran pretty cool on an H100

btw I recently grabbed a 4770k too, and an H60(2013) edition, but I don't really plan on ocing more than 4ghz or so, it's an HTPC/FileServer/Game box :p

I can let you know next week hwo that works.

Your sig states you were running your 2600K at 4GHz. Even if you clock the new 4770K at 4GHz, the generational IPC increase means you still have a faster processor by about 10-16% depending on what your are doing. I wouldn't hold out for a 4.5GHz OC, you may be able to get it to 4.2GHz while keeping the Vcore under control. Still, a 4770K at 4.2GHz is equivalent to a 2600K at around 4.8GHz. ;)

are you talking to me dejawiz? if so, my cpu is not a 2600 "k" it's non k, 2600. if I had the k version I wouldn't have upgraded it.

are you talking to me dejawiz? if so, my cpu is not a 2600 "k" it's non k, 2600. if I had the k version I wouldn't have upgraded it.

Yes, my post was directed at you. Sorry about that...thought I read it was a K series. My bad. Regardless, the IPC clock speed comparisons still apply. :)

Mine is at 4.5Ghz air cooled. I use a hyper 212 evo and at full load it maxes out at 80C, typical usage it is in the 50s or 60s

thanks. i am getting it on Monday. i am happy.

Welcome to the silicon lottery that is Haswell.
Best of luck.

If I can offer any tips regarding Haswell, it is that it is finicky when it comes to stability and may require some extra patience.

My advice is to NOT stress test it with prime95 or LinPack. I swear you will make the glue even worse with trapping heat if you make it throttle. I'm superstitious tho.

Mine is at 4.5Ghz air cooled. I use a hyper 212 evo and at full load it maxes out at 80C, typical usage it is in the 50s or 60s

I call you lucky. Mine can hit 4.5 but needs 1.325v to do it. I settled for 4.2 at 1.21 because I don't believe in going over 1.3 in voltage. Even at 4.2, it gets to 100C with Intel burn; Idles at 39-40C; And I'm under a custom water loop with one of the best CPU water blocks on the market and a 360MM thick radiator.

So many choices to pick from. My recent buy at Amazon the Intel 4770K and H60 cooler fit the best outcome. Now need to buy the best OC motherboard, Asus Z87 TUF, Hero or Sabertooth will be my choice when I can afford it, hoping on a nice Christmas gift. Motherboard?

My plan is to get it to 4.5Ghz at 70 deg C and 90 deg C when gaming.

my motherboard is this: GIGABYTE GA-Z87MX-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

and I want to get 32gb of ram!!!

So many choices to pick from. My recent buy at Amazon the Intel 4770K and H60 cooler fit the best outcome. Now need to buy the best OC motherboard, Asus Z87 TUF, Hero or Sabertooth will be my choice when I can afford it, hoping on a nice Christmas gift. Motherboard?

My plan is to get it to 4.5Ghz at 70 deg C and 90 deg C when gaming.

I idle in the 30s and get 60s while gaming at 4.5ghz air cooled, so I would hope you could get that. Compared to what other people say it sounds like I may have just got a lucky chip or something though.

I'm using a GA-Z87X-OC Force. You probably don't want that unless you need 4 way sli.

If you're gaming at 90 C on a 4770k something is wrong and the system is probably gonna hang any second. That's the kind of temperature I'm advising you to avoid. That is what prime95 or LinPack will do. Temperature stress testing Haswell just doesn't necessarily seem as effective a tool for getting a 24/7 OC stable as it used to be. You can be LinPack or even Prime stable at [insert impressive silicone-lottery results here] and then run into a problem with a random low-tech game and the OC will fail, where it wouldn't at a lower frequency, even though your 4770k is in the 60s as far as your sensors show. Another chip will have trouble getting prime stable at 4.2GHz and then you can game 24/7 on it at 4.4 without any crashes.

60s is normal for gaming. Mine throttles at 102C though the spec is technically 105. I have a sense that the way our chips are connected to the headspreader on top (it's glue, dude) can actually be affected in a negative way by throttling and 90C is getting close.

I'm not saying it will melt and leak on your MoBo. It definitely won't. I'm saying i'ts possible the crap's thermal characteristics could change when subjected to the extreme limits of its capacity. I swear mine did. It's not getting any worse now, but the idle temps I got on my first seating before I started messing with temperature stress testing were considerably lower than what I get now. I recognize ambient temperature can be hard to judge but I've been through a couple of these chips now and I think the glue is not very good at what it does and there's obviously a reason why so many people are "delidding".

It does seem like the variance in chip quality since going to 22nm has increased/widened.

Edit: Sweet. [H] Lite. Hated being a n00bie but I can still respect them now that I'm passed all that. :D

I call you lucky. Mine can hit 4.5 but needs 1.325v to do it. I settled for 4.2 at 1.21 because I don't believe in going over 1.3 in voltage. Even at 4.2, it gets to 100C with Intel burn; Idles at 39-40C; And I'm under a custom water loop with one of the best CPU water blocks on the market and a 360MM thick radiator.

you should delid

I have a sense that the way our chips are connected to the headspreader on top (it's glue, dude) can actually be affected in a negative way by throttling and 90C is getting close.

Holy shit! Seriously?..lol Those cheap bastards! I haven't been paying attention to Intel CPU's since IB had that crappy TIM instead of solder and the only way to get good temps was to de-lid.....but glue? YGTBFK with that Intel. What a joke.

Why is anyone buying Haswell?

i have a 4770k and i'm on stock cooling and havent even bothered with ocing...i havent found a reason too yet.

I put it under the H60 (2013) last nite with a single stock fan, idle is 35deg , I will try some load #s today. (default speeds, no OC yet)

Back