Just a reminder regarding restore points...

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Over the course of a couple weeks I noticed I seemed to be getting pretty low on drive space, so I free'd up a couple gigs by moving stuff I wasn't using right away to my WHS. A couple days later I was once again low on space but I hadn't really done anything. Then I thought oh it was probably one of my dynamic vmware disks expanding again and I freed up another couple gigs. A couple days later, same thing I'm again low on space and I'm not exactly sure why. This is when I remember that thread where Vista SP2 deletes system restore points and people regained a lot of free space, so I figured I'd try that for now and then try to figure out where all my space is going. Guess what, I reclaimed 150GBs. :eek: Turned system restore back on and I'll just remember to check back on it every once in awhile. I don't know why it was so active, I didn't recall making many changes that I would think would create an auto restore point. Just something to keep in mind.

tl;dr recycle your system restore every once in awhile to reclaim drive space if you're getting low.

Over the course of a couple weeks I noticed I seemed to be getting pretty low on drive space, so I free'd up a couple gigs by moving stuff I wasn't using right away to my WHS. A couple days later I was once again low on space but I hadn't really done anything. Then I thought oh it was probably one of my dynamic vmware disks expanding again and I freed up another couple gigs. A couple days later, same thing I'm again low on space and I'm not exactly sure why. This is when I remember that thread where Vista SP2 deletes system restore points and people regained a lot of free space, so I figured I'd try that for now and then try to figure out where all my space is going. Guess what, I reclaimed 150GBs. :eek: Turned system restore back on and I'll just remember to check back on it every once in awhile. I don't know why it was so active, I didn't recall making many changes that I would think would create an auto restore point. Just something to keep in mind.

tl;dr recycle your system restore every once in awhile to reclaim drive space if you're getting low.
This is very common knowledge. You can easily adjust the shadow storage to lower the disk % usage from system restore to reclaim a lot of space.

Back