Junk Yard Score

playah

[H]ard|Gawd
My buddy had a bunch of junk cars to buy so I went in on some to cash out at the scrap yard, when we got past the scales and got ready to unload I noticed some computers and a guy with a hammer beating parts off.
I picked one up because it didn't look like an old oem, sure enough it was a Antec 900 with a Gigabyte GA-P55-DS3R and intel HS, under the hsf was a i5 750, when I got home and bench tested it fired right up, wtf would it be doing in a junk yard, the goofs in the yard had already cut the cables off the OCZ ModXstream-Pro 700w.

I gave the guy 5.00 for the parts.

IMG00078-20110620-2213.jpg

IMG00076-20110620-1540.jpg

Hot damn, that's epic. No hard drives or optical drives though?

That's awesome. Nice find. It's too bad the case is a little banged up. What some people do to PC's is beyond me.

dam, nice find man....i gotta start hitting up the junk yard

Mind selling me that PSU with all the cables cut off? It would make a great bench PSU. YGPM.

What a find. How does something like that end up in a junk yard? I mean, I can imagine finding an old P3 or P4 system or something, but that's just crazy.

damn good find there. like 86 5.0L said, it's not a 900. looks more like a 300...so you got ripped off... :p

It could have been stolen? They could have taken the wires out for what they thought could be copper maybe. (All these drug addicts trying to get precious metals and what not, its just crazy these days)

Either way, nice find for you. What can the JunkYard i5 do clock wise? heh. Just curious.

It could have been stolen? They could have taken the wires out for what they thought could be copper maybe. (All these drug addicts trying to get precious metals and what not, its just crazy these days)

Either way, nice find for you. What can the JunkYard i5 do clock wise? heh. Just curious.

steal a computer worth at least $200 for the sake of selling $6 worth of copper? want to know how i know you'll never be a successful criminal...? :p

I noticed 2 pci slot covers gone from where a gpu would have been in the 1st slot, so I asked if there had been anything else in the case when it came in, the guy told me he got it just like I found it.
I figure there had been a double slot gpu and 2 sticks of ram in there(the clips were back on slot 1+3), probably a burner and hard drive at least.

In that shopping basket were a lot of cable boxes and Motorola SB5101's, I told the guy if found any hard drives in PVR's I'd take 'em

steal a computer worth at least $200 for the sake of selling $6 worth of copper? want to know how i know you'll never be a successful criminal...? :p

$6 dollars really... I don't even think he got that, coppers about 5 bucks a pound now.

And that's not stupid I've seen people cause 10's of thousands of dollars damage for probably less than 50 dollars in copper.

Damn, and a 600w psu at that. Crazy the stuff people throw away. i would have at least kept that psu if anything.

Holy shit I didn't even know they still had shitty dumps like that around. Every dump I have been to in the last decade has been a rather pristine and well organized place to go, and there would certainly never be some random crackhead swinging a hammer at shit :p

Holy shit I didn't even know they still had shitty dumps like that around. Every dump I have been to in the last decade has been a rather pristine and well organized place to go, and there would certainly never be some random crackhead swinging a hammer at shit :p

It's not a dump, it's a scrap yard, there 7 or 8 in Flint, Mi., the economy is terribly depressed here and with the price of scrap steel at 250,00-260.00 a ton it's a free for all with the dope fiends, you see manhole covers missing in the street, any house not occupied is striped of metal, you see gates and fences missing in peoples yards, people pushing shopping carts around trying to pick up metal.

$6 dollars really... I don't even think he got that, coppers about 5 bucks a pound now.

And that's not stupid I've seen people cause 10's of thousands of dollars damage for probably less than 50 dollars in copper.

It's not a dump, it's a scrap yard, there 7 or 8 in Flint, Mi., the economy is terribly depressed here and with the price of scrap steel at 250,00-260.00 a ton it's a free for all with the dope fiends, you see manhole covers missing in the street, any house not occupied is striped of metal, you see gates and fences missing in peoples yards, people pushing shopping carts around trying to pick up metal.

Seriously, it's retarded how much damage those jackasses cause. The cost of fixing stuff is often way higher than the amount that they get for the metal. In my hometown we had these metal lamp posts. They would break open the cover at the base of the post and yank the wiring out. Brilliant, you caused a couple hundred dollars of damage for probably less than a dollar in copper.

Seriously, it's retarded how much damage those jackasses cause. The cost of fixing stuff is often way higher than the amount that they get for the metal. In my hometown we had these metal lamp posts. They would break open the cover at the base of the post and yank the wiring out. Brilliant, you caused a couple hundred dollars of damage for probably less than a dollar in copper.
Not to continue off topic, but best story I ever heard was about 2 butt-holes that were found on an abandoned property trying to steal all the copper wiring and pipes.

They were found outside, bolt cutters still half way through the incoming power lines... as far as they got before they were both burnt to a charred crisp hahaha.
Guess they didnt realize these were high-voltage lines feeding a ground-sitting 3-phase transformer. And apparently didnt realize that the building power was never actually shut off.

:p

Not sure that they care about the cost of fixing stuff since they're not the ones fixing it. :(

It is sad now a days. Im an electrician and we do contract work for the local school board and we have re-fed the power to the portables outside and the lamp standards many times. Well over $100,000 in damages in the last 2.5 years for probably about 1k-2k in copper scrap at our cost. The scrap yards here are supposed to take your drivers license for everything you bring in. I think its pretty obvious that they probably give the crack heads like 60% of the going rate and not take their ID.

Keeps me busy, but in the end I'm still paying for it in my taxes. :( Money that could be spent much better in other areas.

Nice find by the way. Could probably solder on some new wires for a test bench psu.

Tell you what, I will give you $10 for it. Double your cost.
Fair imo.

Not to continue off topic, but best story I ever heard was about 2 butt-holes that were found on an abandoned property trying to steal all the copper wiring and pipes.

They were found outside, bolt cutters still half way through the incoming power lines... as far as they got before they were both burnt to a charred crisp hahaha.
Guess they didnt realize these were high-voltage lines feeding a ground-sitting 3-phase transformer. And apparently didnt realize that the building power was never actually shut off.

:p

I've seen the photo of that event. Guys were charred to a crisp, looked almost post-apocalyptic.

I think this is it. *WARNING* graphic images, be prepared.
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=54615

10-12 of the air-conditioning units at my last apartment got tore up one night. Damn copper thieves.

Lol nice find this had to be stolen and dumped or timmy got a virus and best buy told mom to scap the thing and buy a new pc.....

Back