Juct. Points for Prog. files to HDD: F8 for recovery console directs to UEFI?

0bzeek

n00b
I'm trying to create junction points for the Programs File on my Windows 7 system to move all programs off of SSD to HDD using the method described in this Tutorial by Tested.com This seems to be the most succinct and easy to understand method which (to me) appears to be safe. I decided to go this route because of worry's about permissions and other oddities getting screwed up.

The tutorial says to use F8 to start into recovery console. However I have no recovery console utilizing F8. It immediately boots the ASUS ROG UEFI. I can find no way to get to the recovery console. Am I missing something? Why am I not able to access the advanced options menu using F8? I can't find anything on google.

My system:
ASUS Gene-z mATX mobo
16gb corsair Dominator ram
i7 2600k
2x 6950 Radeon GPUs
2x 1TB HDDs in RAID 0 (where I intend to attempt to keep everything apart from the OS)
128 Crucial M4 SSD

What is this happening? As you can see I'm no expert in this process, I'm learning. So explain it to my like I'm an idiot.

I want to use Junction Points to keep everything on the HDD array, am I doing this wrong? I know there are people who say it's not necessary to use Junction Points but I haven't seen anyone give any good reasons in the google sluething. Is there some new update which honest-to-goodness makes this absolutely unnecessary? What is your understanding one this?

I'm trying to get all games on this array and this method seems to me to fool proof against Steam problems. Can you help me better understand this problem?

Can you turn off the UEFI boot option Since you're probably don't have the UEFI bootloader for Windows 7 installed? It should be safe to do.

Hmmm. I saw this message just as I was leaving for work and only had enough time to reboot into UEFI once and page through it really quickly. I didn't see anything that jumped out at indicating a way to disable the UEFI. Is there a different way to do this? I've been using a gaming laptop for the last 4 years so there wasn't much reason to ever mess with bios or any reason customize anything really. So I'm extra rusty. Is this supposed to be accomplished another way?

I just realized that the BIOS is the UEFI portion...

Have you tried spamming F8 immediately after post (including any add-in card option ROMs)? That's how I do it.

Yeah. I spammed away many times. The one thing I could do was use F9 which brought me to a boot options screen to choose the OS to start which obviously didn't help because I only have windows 7 to install.

The one other option on this screen was for a "memory test". Which I did for the heck of it since I was there.

F8 brings me to UEFI no matter how much I spam it.

Will starting into safe mode avoid these problems? Or could I use Link Shell Extension to do this and achieve safe results?

I personally would use a Linux live disc to achieve this.

The other option would be to hit F9, select Windows 7 & spam F8. This time you'll be past UEFI.

Huh? Don't understand how that works, but I will definitly be giving it a try when I get home.

Back