jagged alliance 3

I wonder if anyone from the original Sir-Tech team is involved with this? I wouldn't hold my breath however.

Hey! Another interesting thing of note :)

Hired Guns: Jagged Edge is being released on the 2nd of December.

Initially it started production as Jagged Alliance 3D but probably couldn't use the name since they don't own the IP.

The game has been developed in Russia. It will be interesting to see if it holds up against the Jagged Alliance series.

It's about time we had another tactical, squad, turn-based, strategy game :D

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/364/details/Hired.Guns:.The.Jagged.Edge.

Looks a little bit like Silent Storm, which makes it very interesting to me.

Wow! Haven't played JA game in years. Will certainly puck this up if the reviews are good.

It amazes me how many of these games intrigue me… and I buy them and think, yeah, this is a cool game… and then bail at the 90 minute mark for the Steam refund.

My tolerance level has dropped quite a bit over the past 10 years. I want it all, or nothin at all.

wtf? lol damn. ok. Didn't expect this. Remember playing it loooong ago.

Last edited:
https://opencritic.com/game/15214/jagged-alliance-3
1689256116688.png

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/jagged-alliance-3
1689256163791.png

It's up to an 82 average and 90% recommend on OpenCritic with 5 more reviews added.

Put in a few hours on it so far nd it's good although it doesn't run very well on my 2070 card at 4K.
Should be even more enjoyable in co op mode

Been playing it most of this weekend. Really enjoying it so far! It accommodates for both hardcore and casual players (and filthy save scummers like me).

It's a faithful followup to the original titles. The combat gameplay is really enjoyable and satisfying.. Exploration is rewarding. The humor is very much the same as the originals. I'm actually surprised how much unique individual recorded dialog there is from the mercs during story conversations considering how many mercs there are to hire.

Technically the game is very solid. Haven't encountered a single bug or crash during my playtime and the game is solidly optimized. Looks pretty decent too. Animations are good and the particle effects can be very nice.

I'm very impressed with the state of the title at release and it will only improve over time especially since it has full mod manager support. Well worth the purchase.

Yeah, the more I play, the more I like it as well. I'm going to do co-op with a friend which I'm looking forward to.

Some of the combat and the larger Meta game is challenging, especially getting a steady cash flow going, it's easy to overspend by hiring too many maercs. I'm only hiring 4 along with my IMP merc.

The only bug I've encountered is that it doesn't lock the cursor onto the primary gaming monitor if you have 2 monitors using extend mode, and switching between full screen and windowed options doesn't t fix that either. But that's a minor bug because I can easily get around it by disabling a monitor.

I'm glad that they don't show the chance to hit. In the game, it's much more immersive to be using other information instead of just a flat number.

Stealth is very challenging to do well. And when you screw it up, the enemy is able to reposition themselves. Which completely ruins the attack you were setting up.

Yeah, the more I play, the more I like it as well. I'm going to do co-op with a friend which I'm looking forward to.

Some of the combat and the larger Meta game is challenging, especially getting a steady cash flow going, it's easy to overspend by hiring too many maercs. I'm only hiring 4 along with my IMP merc.

The only bug I've encountered is that it doesn't lock the cursor onto the primary gaming monitor if you have 2 monitors using extend mode, and switching between full screen and windowed options doesn't t fix that either. But that's a minor bug because I can easily get around it by disabling a monitor.

I'm glad that they don't show the chance to hit. In the game, it's much more immersive to be using other information instead of just a flat number.

Stealth is very challenging to do well. And when you screw it up, the enemy is able to reposition themselves. Which completely ruins the attack you were setting up.
Let us know how the co-op experience is. Very much want to play this with my friend while we wait for BG 3.

I never played the original game but just watched a video on Steam where THQ Nordic said they wanted to make a successor.

Partial controller support though going to ask if it's good enough.

Jagged Alliance 2 is in my top 5 games of all time.

Wanted to and see reviews before purchasing this one. But i'm seeing nothing but positive things about so i guess its time to buy!
Good for you for waiting that's the smart move. I never played the earlier ones so I have no basis of comparison. I just know this is more fun or me than X com or wartales.

Jagged Alliance 2 is in my top 5 games of all time.

Wanted to and see reviews before purchasing this one. But i'm seeing nothing but positive things about so i guess its time to buy!
You will be pleasantly surprised. It really just feels like a modern take on an old classic with expected quality of life improvements, decent graphics and a well optimized bug free experience. Devs have done an outstanding job.

I've played the game about 14 hours and I mostly love it so far. I have a few annoyances and gripes but the core experience is solid.
I liked the quasi real time combat with pause in back in action, but this game has traditional turn based combat and I don't mind it at all. You can move freely in real time outside of combat, but when enemies are alerted it switches to an XCOM style encounter, which is not based on moves but action points instead. You can move or take action many times in a single turn as long as the soldier has AP. The controls and UI take some getting used to but is actually very intuitive after you get the hang of it, after 2-3 hours it becomes second nature. The hits are like XCOM calculated by RNG, but the quirk is that the game never gives you the actual hit chance. Which is a good thing, this makes you experiment more with harder shots, and you loose the annoyance caused by high chance misses, since you don't know what was your chance anyway.

The game doesn't mess around with a tutorial, it throws you into deep water and you have to figure out your strategy on your own. Inexperienced players might have to restart the campaign a few times. I so far managed to hang on, but there are tons of things that I would do differently if I were to start again. But I've decided to take the first attempt to its conclusion even if my early campaign was very far from ideal. As I did not know what is worth doing and what isn't. I wasted lots of time and resources needlessly.

The game has a time crunch, because you need to pay every merc for every day, but it doesn't get in the way of exploration, but you do need to arrange things so you don't run out of funds. And there are not many ways to get money in the game. Basically there are two sources: hackable computers that yield a RND amount and diamonds. The latter can come from loot in minimal amounts, as quest reward, capturing diamond mines which generates constant income, or defeating enemy diamond transports. I'm 14 hours into the campaign and still only have 5 mercs, most of whom are on the cheap side because I can't keep more on the payroll.

The game takes place on a fictional former french colony, at least I assume it is french judging by the accents, but the scenery is a mix of African savanna, South East Asian rainforest, and Caribbean urban settings. The story is simple: warlord captured president, you must liberate the place and the president and eventually kill the warlord, the last part I just assume. From a modern remake of a classic I expected some themes to be toned down, if not outright woke. But that is not the case, this is completely unapologetic, it is not just not toned down it might be taking things even further than previous games. The characters are stereotypical and glorious. Every merc has some weird quirk. Eg.: Creepy, naive, lazy, pious, obsessed with sg. etc. You get the idea. And they are all voiced in conversations with pretty decent VO for an AA game.

The graphics are also pretty nice for what it is, only thing I take issue with is that equipped armor is not shown on the mercs in game, they are always in their default outfit.

The few annoyances I have are:
  • There is no cash shop in the game, you literally can't buy equipment or supplies, your only source is the occasional loot, which doesn't make much sense even narratively, as a mercenary handler you should have access to some arms dealers.
  • And as a direct result of the above most weapons you get are crap with very limited range and ineffective against armor. You literally have to be in the face of enemies to kill them with most weapons.
  • Melee is OP, outside of very strong enemies that retaliate you can cut through enemies with a machete like butter.
  • You can't pause the game outside of combat, which makes it very hard to properly set up ambushes for enemies, the maps are very small and they reach you within 30 seconds.
  • Lootable and hackable items are really hard to find, even when a merc calls out that they saw something, I often end up bulging my eyes but not seeing anything near them.

Last edited:
Once you start modding your weapons and training your mercs you can do some really major damage even with the cheap mercs and the default weapons. And skill books stack. I've found maybe a dozen so far.

From my money this is a much better game than Xcom two

The problem I Found with modding is that the components needed for it can't be put in squad supplies, meaning I just couldn't pick up components due to the inventory already being full. So I left a ton of it behind when I didn't yet know what is the purpose of steel pipes and chips.

Good for you for waiting that's the smart move. I never played the earlier ones so I have no basis of comparison. I just know this is more fun or me than X com or wartales.

The last two sequels to jagged alliance 2 were terrible games. So I was really wary to purchase this one.

Awesome to see a company do the original games justice. It's such a great series, it deserves it.

The problem I Found with modding is that the components needed for it can't be put in squad supplies, meaning I just couldn't pick up components due to the inventory already being full. So I left a ton of it behind when I didn't yet know what is the purpose of steel pipes and chips.

I have not had this problem but I have been making use of sector stashes and I break down most of the weapons that I find for spare parts

You can also train your murks to improve their strength. So they have more carry ability.

It's good huh? Only thing that held me back was partial controller support even asked about it on Steam. I mean I want to play the heck out of Vrising but it doesn't have controller support. I can use a controller on Wartales =√

For whoever asked about co-op, it works pretty well. I just played a few hours today.

The one thing it doesn't do that I wish it would be for each player to be able to see the other players movem indicator lines before they make a move so that it will be easier to plan maneuvering.

I think the game is definitely more enjoyable if you're playing with someone using voice commands and coordinating.

Back