Ivy Bridge equivalent of 920

overlord20

Gawd
I am getting ready to sell my full tower system and build an ITX system as I don't overclock anymore and want something smaller. I am gaming at 1920x1080, doing a lot of Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects work as well as some other hardware intensive stuff. I currently have a i7 920 at stock that does perfect but as stated before I am looking to move to a smaller system because the full tower and even mid tower is just too damn big for me anymore.

I want to go 1155 and with Ivy Bridge being the same price as Sandy Bridge I thought I would go with it. What processor is going to give me on par performance with my 920? No saying I will get that particular one but I am looking for a base to make my decision on as I don't have unlimited funds. All help is appreciated.

I will be pairing this cpu with a gtx 680 and 16gb of ram and 650w psu. Board and case already picked out.

i7 3770k. Overclock the 3770k to ~4.4 ghz and you have a processor that will stomp all over the 920.

the 3570k and 3770k are your best bets. I personally have the 3770k as I compile android builds and the hyperthreading actually benefits there. You say you do aftereffects so the 3770k may be a good option. If your near a microcenter they have some awesome prices on it but only in store purchases. It depends on whether you care about hyperthreading or not. I think your current 920 has hyperthreading.

i7 3770k. Even at stock speeds it will absolutely demolish an i7 920 as it has an 800mhz speed advantage plus a significant IPC advantage. Comparing overclocked to overclocked, the i7 3770k still has the advantage with higher O/C potential than that 920 (about 500mhz more than the 920 give or take), even more so if you de-lid it.

If you are going Mini-ITX, make sure and get one of the decent z77 boards so you can overclock it.

It does, and honestly if I could, I would get an itx for the 920 but there isn't one and if there is it has eluded my search attempts.

It does, and honestly if I could, I would get an itx for the 920 but there isn't one and if there is it has eluded my search attempts.

Its because the TDP and power requirements of the 920 is too high for such a constrained space, the amount of motherboard real estate for triple channel RAM (or risk neutering it with dual channel), and it wasn't until the past year or so that there has been a significant push into high end mini-itx boards. You can give a half decent overclock to an i7 2600k or i7 3770k in the same power and thermal envelope that a stock 920 has. The 920 has a max 130w TDP where as the i7 3770k has 77w.

Its because the TDP and power requirements of the 920 is too high for such a constrained space, the amount of motherboard real estate for triple channel RAM (or risk neutering it with dual channel), and it wasn't until the past year or so that there has been a significant push into high end mini-itx boards. You can give a half decent overclock to an i7 2600k or i7 3770k in the same power and thermal envelope that a stock 920 has. The 920 has a max 130w TDP where as the i7 3770k has 77w.

Not to mention, the space needed for the x58 chipset and the amount of cooling it needed.

Here is what I have picked (trying to keep price below $700).

BitFenix Prodigy
Corsair HX650
G.Skill 16gb (2x8gb)
ASRock Z77E-ITX
Intel Core i5-3570K

Already have HDD's and GTX 680.

I obviously don't want to spend more money (I don't think I will get much more then a few hundred for my current system minus the gpu and harddrives.) for a lesser performing system in those particular applications.

You say you don't overclock anymore.. so perhaps a non K version of sandy or ivy would be fine

Dear Poster,

1. Are you looking for a precision answer?

2. Based on your posted description, you do not overclock, The standard answer is either Ivy Bridge 3570 or 3770.
2.1 i5-3570 is easy to understand. i7-3770 offers greater performance but much higher price. Since you do not overclock, for some people, to compensate, additional 4-thread in 3770 can offset somehow for software that multi-thread well and keep heat reasonable since it is within spec.(no overclock, no need to ramp voltage and increase wattage)

3. A slight modification of same scenario is as follow
3.1 Switch to Xeon 1240V2. Sometimes it is cheaper than 3770. It comes with Hyper-threading I think so it is 4C/8T
3.2 The motherboard you list supports Xeon according to website.
3.3 This option (maybe has very slightly lower cost if you can find bargain) in cmparison to pure i7-3770.
3.4 And you do get all the features that come with Xeon, if the motherboard cooperates.

I may just have to up the price and go all in. I was just looking for some cpu's to look at and research as I couldn't really find anything directly comparing to the 920. (Most stuff I did find say keep the 920) but since I want an ITX system I can't do that.

I have a lot to think about and don't mind overclocking a bit if it will boost performance and keep the cost down. Overclocking as a factor in a tiny case, what would be the best option?

For comparison purposes:

The 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) i7s had a ~15% IPC increase over the original i7s. The 3rd generation i7s have a ~5-10%, depending on application, IPC increase over Sandy Bridge, so IPC-wise, Ivy Bridge has ~20-25% greater IPC.

The i7 920 comes in stock at 2.66 ghz. C0 920s can only clock up to ~3.6-3.8 max, although some later models were able to reach 4.0 ghz. D0 920s can overclock to 4.0-4.2 ghz on top-end air cooling setups. The 3770k has stock clocks of 3.5 ghz, and easily overclocks to 4.4+ on decent air cooling. Both have hyperthreading, so both have the same benefits. So the 3770k has a 31% clock speed increase from the 920 at stock and at least 10% overclocked. If comparing the 3570k and the 920, hyperthreading only adds ~20-25% performance on applications that can take advantage of hyperthreading, easily negated by the IPC advantage alone.

Basically, both the 3570k and 3770k will flat out beat the 920 at stock and overclocked.

Thanks for that Tsumi. Exactly what I was looking for. It will now depend on how much money is in the bank when I buy here in the next few weeks. But it sounds like I can't go wrong with either as an upgrade to my 920.

3. A slight modification of same scenario is as follow
3.1 Switch to Xeon 1240V2. Sometimes it is cheaper than 3770. It comes with Hyper-threading I think so it is 4C/8T
3.2 The motherboard you list supports Xeon according to website.
3.3 This option (maybe has very slightly lower cost if you can find bargain) in cmparison to pure i7-3770.
3.4 And you do get all the features that come with Xeon, if the motherboard cooperates.

This is actually the best answer. The Xeon won't have overclocking or integrated graphics but you don't need those anyway. It's much cheaper than a 3770K and only slightly more expensive than a 3570K but has Hyperthreading which will be useful for what you're doing.

This is actually the best answer. The Xeon won't have overclocking or integrated graphics but you don't need those anyway. It's much cheaper than a 3770K and only slightly more expensive than a 3570K but has Hyperthreading which will be useful for what you're doing.

Maybe but the 3770k overclocks so easily. Really you can just set the multiplier to 42x and call it a day with this thing.

Last edited:
I think even xeon 1230v2 has 4 cores/8 threads and it's like 220 at microcenter or 199 if you take the v1 (sandy, not ivy)

Back