I've done my homework and I'm still not sure. 6800GT for $47 more worth it?

Murkon

Limp Gawd
I've been reading, reading, reading, and more reading. The 6800GT wins some reviews, the X800 Pro wins some reviews. I've decided to leave it up to you guys (well, I'll consider your opinions anyways...:D)

Here are my system specs:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2.0
XP 2500+ (not overclocked...yet)
1gp Hyper-X PC3200
Radeon 9700 (NOT pro version) - this is the bastard I'm upgrading

I think that's all the specs that count...

All I really play is BF2 and I'm about to try WoW. Seeing as PC gaming is kinda slow at the moment I'm pretty sure that's all I'll be playing for a while.

The ATI.com X800 Pro refurb is $184 shipped. A refurb Leadtek 6800GT w/ 256mb RAM is on Newegg for $231 shipped.

Both seem to me to be a good deal. I guess my real question is whether or not the 6800 would be worth the extra cash? I'm one of those people who tend to think that if it costs extra but would be worth it, I'll go for it.

I'm ordering tommorow or Tuesday. I appreciate any thoughts or comments you have, thanks!

Both are very simular cards, I think I would go with the radion if it has vivo capabilities (and you don't use vg emulators), other then that thiers not to much difference between the two cards.

This is probably going to end up being a flamewar..

Just ask yourself what card you want more. They are both very good cards and will be a big step over your 9700. I don't think you will buy one and wish you got the other. The Nvidia 6800gt is a VERY popular card and I have worked with the the ledtech 6800gt and I will say that I was very impressed with it. Although, I run an Ati card in my current rig because I got a good deal on it. If I could choose out of the 2? I wouldn't care.. they are both very good cards and will handle WOW and BF2 with no problems (with bf2, make sure you have plenty of ram).

Go with whatever makes you happy. If you like ATi cards, go with the ATi card. If you want to try out Nvidia, go for it. You wont be dissapointed with either choice. Keep in mind quality too. Ati has a 3 year warranty on their refurbs (get it from the ati site). Compare that to the warranty with the Ledtech.

I would go with the 6800gt, as unless you can unlock the extra pipes on the x800pro, it is significantly worse than the 6800gt. If youre getting a refurb, you MIGHT be able to, but it is totally up in the air. The newer cards dont unlock, and the older ones do, so it all depends on how old the card is. If you get a newer one though, and it doesnt unlock, you will be kicking yourself that you didnt get the 6800gt. Preformance-wise, that is

whichever card you go with; it will definately be bottlenecked by your CPU.

in any case get the 6800GT as its better and you are getting a brand new card rather than a refurb.

6800GT. it has a substantial lead on the pro, the benchmarks that show the pro leading were probably from right when the cards were released, and the GT had really shitty drivers.

ive also found that nv cards do better with weaker cpu's... on a 1.75ghz p3, my GT got higher FPS than my x800xt.

lithium726, Is right... to a degree :p

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=202&card2=38

Check that.... X800Pro has less pipelines... and older Shader versions.. But gets higher in 3DMark05.

If you can unlock more Pipelines on the 6800GT and overclock it will be a very nice card and would prob beat the X800pro.
And you will be getting it brand new anyway.

I would go with the 6800GT ;)

Isn't the x800XL suppose to compete with the 6800gt, not X800 pro, so the XL is better than the pro. So in that case I would go with the 6800gt by far. I think a fair comparison is xl and 6800gt.

If you can unlock more Pipelines on the 6800GT and overclock it will be a very nice card and would prob beat the X800pro.
the GT has 16 stock.

I'd pick up the leadtek, because 99% of the time leadtek 6800GTs OC to at least Ultra levels, if not beyond. The cooler on the leadtek is amazing, so you'll be unlikely to ever need an aftermarket cooler on it (assuming you don't user watercooling).

V99 said:
lithium726, Is right... to a degree :p

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=202&card2=38

Check that.... X800Pro has less pipelines... and older Shader versions.. But gets higher in 3DMark05.

I would go with the 6800GT ;)

Wow there is a lot wrong with that post.... You cant buy a card based soley on a 3dmark score.... you cant unlock more pipelines on a 6800GT... there arent any to unlock.... the 6800GT will beat an X800 Pro in the vast majority of applications no matter what.

I agree you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU, so save your money and get the x800pro.

jebo_4jc said:
I agree you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU, so save your money and get the x800pro.
me said:
ive also found that current nv cards do better with weaker cpu's... on a 1.75ghz p3, my GT got higher FPS than my x800xt.
i did say that for a reason....

that test was done by me with HL2. stock clocks on both cards. the GT maintained a higher min-FPS level, which is crucial to gameplay.

Back