ITX or mATX or?

pavel

Gawd
I am interested in SFF systems and want to start a new build soon. I have old tech., LGA 775.

I am leaning towards just going with Kaby Lake but I keep switching between ITX and mATX. I even considered one of those NUC computers. ;)

I know I want it small and with wifi. I think the only piece of hardware I'll move into a new build would be the graphics card. It is somewhat old, too? EVGA GTX 750. I read it would struggle with 4K. Well, I don't have a 4K TV or monitor yet so I'll upgrade the video card when I start going there.

For now, I was hoping I'd get some advice / suggestions / recommendations for an ITX build. Do I need Z270? I won't be gaming probably and if I played the odd game, I only have a gtx 750. As for cpu, I'm looking at i3-4600 or something like that - something that is an upgrade on my Q6600 but probably not all the way to i5 or i7. I was thinking to wait for the next gen., and then upgrade the cpu. I know that itx motherboards have a capacity of 32GB compared mATX and 64GB. Should I care? I don't think I'll use or ever buy 32GB DDR4 but you never know. ;)

I would like Intel LAN (although, I'd probably use wifi if/when I can), USB 3.0 at least (USB 3.1, type-c would be nice), Realtek ALC 1220 (should be the latest/greatest if I can't use a discrete sound card).

As for itx cases, I'd want to go really small if it's itx (might as well) so either the Sugo SG05/SG13 style or the ML08 style. But, I'm not sure which one. If I went with mATX, it becomes much more difficult. The cases I like or would consider are quite expensive. Again, I'd like to go small and light (as possible). I would like it to be quiet so quiet fans, decent cooling but not too noisy. I thought of going with AIO cpu cooler (hopefully, the pump isn't too noisy) and also it's easier to keep things more compact (the good liquid coolers are usually pretty high - using up space).

Edit: I forgot to add but will now.....what about SFX and SFX-L power supplies? There seems to be only two choices/brands to choose from? Silverstone and Corsair (really)? Do you recommend going with SFX-L since it's probably an option with the itx cases I'd probably be mulling over? I like that the SFX ones are even shorter/smaller, though.

Any comments?

Definitely go ITX; there's not much need, based on your use-case, for anything larger.

As for the motherboard... With the features that you want, you're going to be buying a z270 motherboard. They just don't make budget motherboards with top of the line features.

If you haven't bought parts yet... I'd definitely take a strong look at Ryzen. I think it would suit your needs quite well.

Probably the Pentium G4560 would be of interest to you, it's very cheap and it is very capable. And, it being a 54W CPU and the GTX 750 is 55W, a 160W DC-DC board will do nicely, no need for either SFX or SFX-L. https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/g-unique-plug-play-units-pre-order.1404/ http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157737 it's a lesser Realtek chip but... if you want excellent audio you'd get an external system anyways.

I'd perhaps get a Cooler Master Elite 110 case, but of course this depends on your needs.

The Ryzen is very interesting but I think there won't be ITX in the beginning.

Last edited:
Back