Issue with my new WHS

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been playing with a friends WHS and playing with WHS inside a VM with a few clients and love it due to the ease of use and lack of interaction I need to have with it. So yesterday I took my spare computer which was running Server 2008 and moved it to WHS.

Everything went great with the install and updates. Ran the connector on my desktop. No problems. Everything was working great so I installed the LightsOut add-in and then I kicked off a backup of my desktop and got ready for bed. Checked on the system before I went to bed and it was 69% done.

Got up this morning and it was stuck at 74%. No data was transferring. So I opened the console. The console was lagging. It'll be fine for a little while and then it will act as if it's frozen. So I remotely accessed the server through Remote Desktop. Even in the remote session the system is doing that freezing. So I killed the backup, deleted it via cleanup and then rebooted WHS. The system still has the same problem.

So not quite sure what the problem could be. I searched the [H] a little bit and found a thing or two I might try when I get home from work but the problem isn't identical to what I found.

This system has been running Server 2008 for the last year or so just fine. System is built like this:

Intel Pentium Dual-core 2.0GHz
2GB OCz DDR2-800
ECS G31T-M motherboard
320GB WD HDD which is where the OS was installed
two 500GB Seagate HDDs for storage
PSU is either a Antec 300 or 350.

So it's more then powerful for this. During the freezes I don't see the CPU spiking or anything so my only thought is maybe it is one of the hard drives is dying. But that just doesn't make any sense because this only started happening after the backup was run. What's the best tool out there to

Thx in advance for the help.

Run WD lifegaurd tools on the OS drive..

Also I would get rid of the lights out add-in just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Run WD lifegaurd tools on the OS drive..

Also I would get rid of the lights out add-in just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

I did get rid of Lights Out but I don't think I rebooted the system. Will check that out when I get home from work. Will run WD Lifeguard as well.

I assume running Seatools would also be a good idea just to check the integrity of the Seagate drives as well?

Well since this is a relatively new install, a reformat and reinstall won't be that much trouble.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. But so far no errors have been found on the drives. However, I did notice something when I got home and I'm not sure it's the WHS anymore.

I started streaming some music from the Internet as I was downloading the WD Lifeguard tools and the Seatools. I noticed my connection was cutting out. A reboot of my desktop appears to have corrected the lag problem. So what could be going on during a backup that causes my desktop to start freaking out like that?

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. But so far no errors have been found on the drives. However, I did notice something when I got home and I'm not sure it's the WHS anymore.

I started streaming some music from the Internet as I was downloading the WD Lifeguard tools and the Seatools. I noticed my connection was cutting out. A reboot of my desktop appears to have corrected the lag problem. So what could be going on during a backup that causes my desktop to start freaking out like that?

So today I cam home and the backup stalled again. I'm 100% certain it's not the WHS and it's my desktop.

Could it be the fact that it's just a craptastic Realtek NIC in both machines? If so I don't exactly have time to wait on a good Intel NIC. Would a linksys gigabit NIC suffice or is it worth the wait and going Intel?

I have a realtek onboard in my server with no issues at all. Have you installed all the way up to PP2? check www.wegotserved.com for some good info, i know even in PP1 there was some issues with backups freezing at certain points.

I have a realtek onboard in my server with no issues at all. Have you installed all the way up to PP2? check www.wegotserved.com for some good info, i know even in PP1 there was some issues with backups freezing at certain points.

Yeah the server is PP2. My laptop using Intel wireless-g NIC is 100% fine. It's backup is going right now in fact and is further along then the desktop has ever made it.

The desktop just gets stuck and stops transferring data. The backup kicked off at 12am last night and today at 6pm it was stuck at 68% or so. 68% is where it got stuck the other day as well and that was only from about 10pm to 6am.

My only thought is replace the NIC in the desktop and might as well replace it in my WHS as well.

Although if it's getting stuck at the same place could it be something like a corrupt file? Is there a way in WHS to see what the last file transferred was?

Back