IS7-E doesn't support 1.7 Willamette ... say it ain't so!

CanadianBacon221

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a friend looking for a new motherboard to keep his upgrade path open, and I recommended an IS7-E. Its in his pricerange, is decked out with every feature he could ever want, and offers him the headroom he needs for the future. Now here's the catch: He's got a 1.7 C-1 stepping Willamette. D'oh!

According to Abit's website, it isn't compatable: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kbase.php?categories=1&model=80&faq_id=218

Now, I've got an IS7-E myself, and I don't understand why it wouldn't work. I checked my BIOS, and it permits me to crank it up to 1.9v. Now, I know this often means sudden death syndrome for a processor like my 2.4C, but thats plenty for a Willamette, isn't it?

Whats the deal? Will this work?

If not, whats a good motherboard I can recommend him but still keep his upgrade plans open. It must be under $100.

You might not be able to even get into the BIOS if you're using a Willamette-based CPU on that IS7-E motherboard, even if the BIOS itself aupports high adjustable voltages. You'll be more likely to stare at a completely blank screen if that IS7-E detects such a CPU.

Hard to say, really.

I was hoping someone might have some experience working with the 1.7 on such boards.

Or possibly offer an alternative that supports a 1.7 but doesn't narrow down future upgrade opportunities.

I learned this the hard way. I had a cel 1.7 w/an 865PE MSI Neo2-FISR mainboard. Went to turn it on, and nada. I've tried it w/several springdale/canterwood boards, all w/the latest BIOS updates. I have yet to see one that's compatible.

Oldie, you've run into the problem that none of the i865 or i875 chipset-based motherboards will work with any of the older 0.18-micron Willamette Pentium 4/Celeron processors. All of the 1.7GHz Chubberons/Celerys were Willamette-based. Only the 2.0GHz and faster Celerons, as well as the (Northwood) Pentium 4 CPUs with 512K L2 cache, will work on the newer boards - and only the i865 series will support the 400MHz FSB (the i875 will only work with 533- and 800-MHz FSB CPUs).

Originally posted by E4g1e
Oldie, you've run into the problem that none of the i865 or i875 chipset-based motherboards will work with any of the older 0.18-micron Willamette Pentium 4/Celeron processors. All of the 1.7GHz Chubberons/Celerys were Willamette-based. Only the 2.0GHz and faster Celerons, as well as the (Northwood) Pentium 4 CPUs with 512K L2 cache, will work on the newer boards - and only the i865 series will support the 400MHz FSB (the i875 will only work with 533- and 800-MHz FSB CPUs).

That may be so with the IS7 line, but the P4P800 is running my 1.8 P4 Willy at 2.0 very stable and is a HUGE improvement over the 845D platform I had.

hmm, the IS7 supports 400mhz CPU's, but officially only under the new, lower-consumption core.

Mah, this may be hard to find out unless I try it myself.

Originally posted by CanadianBacon221
hmm, the IS7 supports 400mhz CPU's, but officially only under the new, lower-consumption core.

Maybe some makers of i875-based motherboards provide support for 400MHz FSB CPUs - but Intel's own i875-based mainboard, the D875PBZ, supports only the 533MHz and 800MHz FSB CPUs.

Anyways, thanks for your help everyone. Although it looks like the boards are capable of the higher voltage, they simply won't run it at default and thats probably why it won't even get to the post screen.

Under some electrical genious I'm sure it could be hardwired, but thats not gonna happen :p

Thanks everyone! I'll start looking at new boards, or a new processor.

I stand corrected on the IS7-E. This motherboard actually uses the i865PE chipset, not the i875. Thus, it supports the 400MHz FSB.

Back