Is this Win7 install OK ?

Dantrax

Gawd
I want to install Win 7 Pro 64bit on a single Raid enabled Ocz Vertex Turbo ssd, & then expand my C drive to include my WD 750Gb RE3 hdd. Or could I make my WD hdd a D drive ? I also have 2 additional single HDDs with raid enabled containing Vista 64bit & XP Pro 32bit so my bios has IDE configured as Raid. I'm using the WD 750 Gb for Win7 RC now but wanted to add the ssd for the win7 os with the 750 for storage, I'm just not sure if Raid will let me add the 750 as a D drive for storage.

Why do you have RAID enabled when you aren't using RAID...or even like dries for that matter?

You should be able to add the 750 as a storage drive, considering that's how your other drives are configured..but still. If that was my computer, I'd pick one OS, install it to the SSD, and then use the 750 as my storage drive, and that's it.

Your C: can not be dynamic, thus not allowing software spanning/raid. Your going to have to use that 750 as your D: drive. Move your page file over to it to help save room on that SSD.

As for why your talking about raid (unless you mean AHCI?), I don't know. It's completely unecessary with your configuration using the SSD and 750. You only need to worry about raid if you want to re-use those 2 IDE drives as raid drives again. I wouldn't even bother the SSD and 750 will give you all the storage & performance you need.

Thanx DF & bdc, I went with raid instead of ahci, due to the option of adding an array later, I want to dump vista & add another 750 in raid 1 down the road, but it's my win7 back-up drive right now. I'm just using the intel ich10r raid.

I wouldn't bother with RAID on a desktop at all, especially RAID1. You'd be much better off using the second 750 has an external for backup. There's an old saying, RAID is not a backup.

RAID 1 is not a backup. It mirrors the current state of one drive exactly onto another drive. That might sound like a backup until you get infected by malware, or your data gets accidentally deleted, or corrupted by bad RAM - at which point you will find that both drives are still exactly the same. Actual physical hard drive failure - the only thing RAID 1 protects against - is probably one of the least likely things to happen to your data.

Last edited:
So concensus is "Don't" bother with Raid & just use Ahci and a back-up HDD (int. or ext.) . Unfortunately I've F6 installed Raid drivers for all 3 OSs. Now when I switch my Bios to configure IDE as Ahci, instead of Raid, the Bios boots just fine to Windows, but Windows BSODs. Looks like I'll have to reinstall some OSs & make some DLDVD backups again. Unless someone knows a work around ? google time! Thanx every1 4 ur advice

Again, only answering as if it was my system...I'd virtualize 2 of the OSes and just run Windows 7 natively, using two physical disks in the system. The SSD would be my primary drive, and the 750 would be for data storage.

Back